Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Busted spoke – ride on or wait?
  • ebennett

Noticed a broken spoke on my commuter the other day, have ordered a replacement but won’t be here for a day or two. Should I just use the bike until it arrives or is it best to leave it? I really hate having to get public transport though, along with the hordes of coughing and sneezing plague bearers that infest it 😕

scotroutes

It’ll be fine. Just avoid hacking off any high kerbs.

mattyfez

Should be fine, as said, don’t bang the wheel against anything.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

32 j bend spokes on a conventional build, carry on.

20 spokes on a daft oe build, be a bit careful…….

oldnpastit

Your bike is finished. The kindest thing you can do for it now is to give it to me so that I can sell it on ebay humanely destroy it. Sorry to have to be the bearer of such sad news, but that’s how it is I’m afraid.

jekkyl

check your other spokes aren’t loose and it’ll be good to go for a year or two.

cynic-al
    Free Member

…unless more break…

mattyfez

Doubtful in a couple of days unless as said the wheels built on very few spokes, just take it easy, don’t go bouncing up or down any kerbs etc. might be worth checking the tension on all the spokes once the new one’s fitted.

Northwind

I broke a spoke on the way to fort william on the train one time, couldn’t find a replacement in town so just carried on, the wheel got progressively less straight as the uplift went on but it was fine. And that wasn’t even a particularily tough wheel. I’d keep riding in your place.

ebennett

That’s what I thought, thanks! Not many big hits on the way to work thankfully 😀

legend
    Free Member

the wheel got progressively less straight as the uplift went on but it was fine.

That’s standard for a day at Ft. Bill even when all spokes are in attendance anyeay

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Busted spoke – ride on or wait?’ is closed to new replies.