Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 206 total)
  • Businesses that ought to fail.
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

argos, constantly behind the times.

the officers club, 70% off closing down sale for the past 15 years it seems.

greggs the bakers.

mt
    Free Member

the BBC

edsbike
    Free Member

@maccruiskeen

Am I right in saying that he went to school in Beverley? I seem to remember that this was my school’s ‘claim to fame’, and an example of how great it was.

binners

argos, constantly behind the times.

One of my neighbours works for them. Poor sod! According to him, they’re not long for this world. He’s just hoping to get a new job sorted before they go belly up

binners

the BBC

And the far superior, dynamic, thrusting, private sector, great value-for-money alternative is…….?

druidh
    Free Member

…paid for by advertising.

maccruiskeen

Am I right in saying that he went to school in Beverley?

No, (with the caveat that they may have had more than one CEO prior to their current one).

andytherocketeer

Any bank, but specifically the Natwest. They couldn’t give a flying **** about customer service. In fact, they seem to revel in their lack of a service ethic

+1 for NatWest.
    Officially the most useless company I’ve ever had to deal with. And because of their inability to perform normal administrative tasks, I can’t close my account and withdraw the tenner I left in there.

mt
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    binners »
    And the far superior, dynamic, thrusting, private sector, great value-for-money alternative is…….?

Ha the BBC don’t do advertising.

binners

Brilliant…..

mt
    Free Member

Snob, thats proper culture.

druidh
    Free Member

[i]The public gets what the public wants….[/i]

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Any energy company. Hiking prices up in winter, forcing 1000s into paying over the odds for a necessity makes me sick, especially given the profits they make. Knobjockeys

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s no way power, water or transport should be privately owned.

maccruiskeen

The public gets what the public wants….

with headlines like “Towie returns for series 7 with lowest audience ever” who can argue. The difference between ITV, Sky and the BBC is that people actually watch the BBC. At primetime there are instances where one BBC programme can have more viewers than all of the other channels’ output combined

Garry_Lager

philconsequence – Member

greggs the bakers. You must be joking – they’re the jewel of the British High St. Innovative and customer-orientated company – also an ethical one. They righteously saw off the government’s pastie tax as a very regressive piece of tax legislation.

maccruiskeen

They righteously saw off the government’s pastie tax as a very regressive piece of tax legislation.

and added to the smoke screen that allowed much, much more regressive and frankly horrifying legislation to slip through without any comment

philconsequence
    Free Member

the smell of a greggs shop makes me gag and nearly throw up. for that reason mainly, but also because the country would have less thunderchunks roaming the streets… it should close down.

binners

greggs the bakers.

Oh dear lord!

ratherbeintobago

Yodel. Hopefully it’s not far away either!

Quite possibly the worst courier company of them all.

Any bank, but specifically the Natwest. They couldn’t give a flying **** about customer service. In fact, they seem to revel in their lack of a service ethic

The whole RBS group. Don’t want them to fail as it would take down the whole economy but am one push away from telling them to shove their accounts and moving everything to the Co-op/Nationwide.

Andy

flange
    Free Member

Crank Bros
    Cooper BMW franchise
    Virgin/NTL
    Student Loans company

tthew

The major energy suppliers hopefully, then they will need to be re-nationalised and run for the greater good of the people rather than the major shareholders

[quote]Any energy company. Hiking prices up in winter, forcing 1000s into paying over the odds for a necessity makes me sick[/quote]
    The practical problem with this is that as there’s not enough North Sea gas to fulfil the countires demand anymore even if this were re-nationalsed at the same time as the ‘Big 6’. This means that a re-nationalised industry would have to trade on the international market as the current private companies do, so prices wouldn’t improve.

Basically, it’s the Tories fault.

ThePinkster

tthew – Member
    The practical problem with this is that as there’s not enough North Sea gas to fulfil the countires demand anymore even if this were re-nationalsed at the same time as the ‘Big 6’. This means that a re-nationalised industry would have to trade on the international market as the current private companies do, so prices wouldn’t improve.
    Basically, it’s the Tories fault.

Hence my ‘Like that’d happen’ comment.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The Officers’ Club? I thought that they’d died a long time ago.

Superdrug. What are they still there for?

And any business that litters the public pavement with stock spilling out on the street or A-boards.

brakes
    Free Member

the smell of a greggs shop makes me gag and nearly throw up. for that reason mainly, but also because the country would have less thunderchunks roaming the streets… it should close down.

didn’t you used to be a thunderchunk? is this reverse psychology?
    I used to think you were alright.

ThePinkster

Superdrug. What are they still there for?

Got a really cheap Braun Oral-B leccy toothbrush from them last week, less than 1/2 price. Fancy toothbrush heads to go with it were 75% off as well.

Perhaps that’s the first sign?

philconsequence
    Free Member

didn’t you used to be a thunderchunk? is this reverse psychology?
    I used to think you were alright.

i still am a thunderchunk 😀 but i’m acutely aware i’m stealing space from you weird skinny cycling types and i want to make a difference, going around sucking my belly in isn’t enough for the scale of change needed to make britain a sexier place

steve-g
    Free Member

Blockbuster – I just have no idea how they are still in business

ohnohesback
    Free Member

HMV.

maccruiskeen

Blockbuster – I just have no idea how they are still in business

HMV.

Although they don’t seem competitive agains online retailers… not everyone is online

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And those infinite number of energy resellers, PPI claims companies, and no-win-no-hope solicitors who keep sending out spam texts… DIE YOU F*CKERS! DIE!

winston
    Free Member

Ryanair
    Starbucks

project
    Free Member

Santander, woeful customer service. They can’t even let me close the account I have with them.

and they want let y ou withdraw any of YOUR MONEY , when you close the account,because you dont have the cporrect id and paperwork, thayts because youve closed the account.

Shouting match at 12.30 mid day in a very busy branch helps ive found.

As for new failures,
    Post office, who close for lunch every day and close on wednesday and saturday afternoons,

any energy supplier, or water company,

waitrose and m and s, overpriced for the affluent shopper,homebase,sainsburys,

franksinatra

1. Estate Agents. – They don’t sell houses, they just put pictures on the internet. Offer nothing to the process other than website exposure, you can get that elsewhere. Standard contracts attempt to tie you to them, even if they fail to actually sell your house.

2. Anything owned by Donald Trump

3. Daily Mail – it should be illegal

4. Nestle

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Channel 5. Would anyone notice?

mt
    Free Member

waitrose and m and s, overpriced for the affluent shopper,homebase,sainsburys,

You missed John Lewis and a few others, now off to Lidl with you.

maccruiskeen

Channel 5. Would anyone notice?

Richard Desmond’s whole media empire could vanish and I don’t think anyone would notice

ohnohesback
    Free Member

John **** Lewis are expanding ffs! What does it say about our times that such affluent middle class smugness is on the rise?

hora
    Free Member

Next will be WHSmiths and/or The Bodyshop.

winston
    Free Member

i forgot wonga – shoulg be an illegal business model

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Businesses that ought to fail.’ is closed to new replies.