• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bush Trimming Technique
  • bsims
    Free Member

Evening all,
    We have some unruly bushes in the back garden which have been untended for the last 4–5 years and are rampant. When/ how is it best to prune?

I would like to keep them tall so that they offer added height over the fence but bring them back into border width.

The forsythia has turned into a beast, about 9 ft high and 6ft in diameter. I would like to keep it ass tall as possible. Inside it has hollowed out, so is it best to trim back to the edges or go for a massacre and start again with new growth Leaving the fence side tall?

Ceanothis – this is a good height (7ft) but has spread out over the lawn, Again can I prune back to border width or massacre and gradually shape over the next few seasons?

Hebe – This has tipped over with weight so can I use canes to support (5ft when held up) and gently prune or is full cut back and start again best?

Cotoneaster – As with the Ceanothis, 6ft tall, but has spread out over the lawn, Again can I prune back to border width or massacre and gradually shape over the next few seasons?

I am buying up a petrol long pole trimmer tomorrow with a view to keep on top it these bushes from now on. We would like max height and preferably a wall of foliage and bloom not just on top.

Thanks for any advice/ tips.

Drac

Most disappointing thread promise 2019.

grahamh
    Free Member

Napalm, failing that nuke the site from orbit.

CheesybeanZ

Ask a Brazilian , they seem very popular in bush trimming circles 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hack and slash is my general policy when it comes to this sort of thing.

It’ll grow back and if it doesn’t, it didn’t deserve to live.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Veet?

scaredypants

Careful how you go, there may be a nice Clematis in there somewhere

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Typo?

myti
    Free Member

Each of those bushes needs to be treated differently and will probably need hand pruning rather than a hedge cutter. Bit hard to describe techniques so if you’re wanting great results get a pro or research each shrub individually using rhs website as you have ids for them.

bsims
    Free Member

@Drac -hook ’em in with that wriggling worm!

@grahamh
    – I think a commercial licence is needed for that!

@CheesybeanZ
    – the guy at the garden tools place was wearing a feather adorned string bikini!

@Perchypanther
    – that’s why i’m going petrol, you can never have too much fire power!

@Captain
    Flashheart – too painful!

@scaredypants
    – I will now!
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Clematis

bsims
    Free Member

@myti – thanks, I was worried some one was gonna say that, its going to take ages isn’t it? We really like the mix of colours on the 3 flowering bushes and we want to keep them large so doing it wrong isn’t an option.

nickjb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t rush out and buy a petrol trimmer. Firstly petrol garden tools are terrible environmentally, and secondly those bushes will need careful pruning to get the shape right. Once you have them about right they can be regularly trimmed but you are a way off that yet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

secondly those bushes will need careful pruning to get the shape right. Once you have them about right they can be regularly trimmed but you are a way off that yet.

I’m with oerchy

If it’s got as much as op says then It’s hacked back with the power tools and and then hand trimming for final shaping and to ensure the final cuts are in right part of the stem.

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks,
    Some of it will definitely need to be done by hand as the branches in the Forsythia and Ceanothis will need sawing off if I cut right back. The petrol trimmer is to save what I think will be hours of hand pruning, these bushes have been left to their own devices for years.

matt_outandabout

bsims
    Free Member

I did think about getting someone in, which is what happened last time (i’ve been quoted around £50 – 70 per bush) but I thought it was better to spend the money on some equipment to make life easier. Once this initial cut back is done it will be easier to prune a couple of times a year.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bush Trimming Technique’ is closed to new replies.