Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • bus shelter vandalism
  • Ed2001
    Free Member

Locally we have had a spate of bus shelters being vandalised with the glass being smashed. My question is not why but how is it done?

project
    Free Member

After quewstioning our local transport authority,

Laminated glass cracks and looks untidy, when cracked,

Toughened snmashes easily woith a sharp force and is seen safer, spring loaded nail punch or small hammer nicked from a bus

Polycarbonate can be set on fire and cant be cleaned with solvents, it melts it.

Solid pannels stop women using the bus shelters as they feel scared if they cant see round and out of them.

jekkyl

Air rifle!

Militant_biker

I’ve been told spark plugs lobbed at bus shelters reduce them to pieces easily. No idea why. I didn’t ask.

samuri
    Free Member

Kicking will do it, but round here the most common method is lobbing a brick through them.

Edric64
    Free Member

My job is cleaning and repairing bus shelters.Vandalism cost a fortune Polycarbonate costs as much as glass.I can sometimes get paint of it with solvent other times it eats into the surface.Glass used will always smash into pieces as it is safer .Solid panels wont be used unless the shelter is against a wall for safety reasons ie someone sneaking up on you.I try to get any vandalism repaired as soon as possible as it cuts down on repeat offending

Ed2001
    Free Member

hammers, air rifles, spark plugs, nail punches even the good old brick it gives me a lovely warm feeling that the youth of today are so resourceful and creative.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Brick to the corner of the panel.

Cougar

My job is cleaning and repairing bus shelters.

Sir, I applaud your work, and don’t envy it.

Stoner
    Free Member

spark plugs lobbed at bus shelters reduce them to pieces easily

A fairly reliable method through any toughened glass is with a piece of broken ceramic – i.e. sparkplug isloator.

The ceramic cleaves into an extremely sharp edge sufficient to cleave into the glass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_rocks

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhlmKHbPFhU[/video]

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I tried to throw someone through a bus stop once! I thought I might break the bus stop but didn’t.

He was trying to beat me up after I was set upon. I saw the bus stop and basically grabbed him and ran with him to use his body as a battering ram.

His body didn’t break it despite my best efforts but he was a bit broken.

Not sue if that’s vandalism but guess if I’d broken it folk would have seen it like that.

Anyway, spark plugs might break them but bodies don’t.

unovolo
    Free Member

Pretty certain when I worked at a Plastic Fabricators we had some Lexan/Polycarb that was shatterproof and very difficult to set on fire.

Theres a good chance it was pretty expensive but must be cheaper than replacing glass on a regular basis.

Edric64
    Free Member

I usually use polycarb from Righton plastics its Makrolon uv resistant stuff .Its good stuff shatterproof (unlike some of the cheap om stuff ) kids do burn it with lighters though .It is cheaper to use than regular replacement of glass .Although it cost more per pane.The main problem is the damage graffiti does as the remover leaves a shadow behind even if the paint comes off.

wrecker
    Free Member

I once spent the night in a cell as a friend had kicked a rubbish bag at a bus stop which smashed the glass. Nobody would admit to it so we spent the whole night.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘bus shelter vandalism’ is closed to new replies.