Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • Bus driver jailed for using his vehicle as a weapon
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I think the “used the bus as a weapon” comment is poor from a judge, as it does invite the question “why wan’t he charged with assault/GBH?”

wallace1492
    Free Member

Berm Bandit – Member

the Police/CPS took that view

…. and that particular statement is the bone of contention. Very often these decisions are made for the shakiest of reasons, and lead to acceptance of crime rather than dealing with it.

Frankly this was not a driving offence, it was a criminal assault with a lethal weapon, while at the ame time risking the safety of the passengers in his care and he should be treated accordingly. Regretably it may well be that what he got was the heaviest punishment available, but it doesn’t make it right.

Absolutely agree. I am in favour of far heavier sentences for this sort of incident and for far longer driving bans, including lifetime driving bans. Too mant people think it is a right to drive rather than a privilidge, and I believe anyone that abuses it should have it removed for a much longer time.

BermBandit
    Free Member

“why wan’t he charged with assault/GBH?”

Perhaps thats precisely why he said it!

martinhutch

He was convicted of GBH, in addition to dangerous driving.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Good

aracer
    Free Member

Deleted – I see it now says he did get convicted of GBH

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The initial incident is very annoying – bad carve up by an impatient bad bus driver. However – the cyclist only had to back off to let the bus in and not get squished there. Once you get into an altercation don’t use your vulnerable body to block a multi tonne bus – and IMO the cyclist does a deliberate block on the the bus – lost his rag as well.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I don’t think it really matters if you’re on a bicycle or not either, someone cuts you up, pulls out in front etc.. definitely best to hang back and let it go even though it means letting someone “get away with it”.

Plenty of examples of motorist vs motorist road rage as well…

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/2012/01/28/man-quizzed-over-road-rage-death-91466-30215849/

wallace1492
    Free Member

A bus pulled out of a bus stop layby as I got to it, he half hestitated but had started move. I slowed up, waved him out and fell in behind him, he started manouver without checking properly, I would have been in the right to continue and call him all sorts, but I didn’t. Further up the road I past him, later still he drew up alongside me at lights and waved and we exchanged nods. Nice an pleasant.

A lot of bad driver, a few bad cyclists. Guess which ones are more dangerous….

tails
    Free Member

Hill, 29, from Frome, Somerset,

29 you’re having a laugh!

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

29 stone

brooess
    Free Member

17 months not enough IMO.
    Using a bus to harm someone is behaviour we don’t need. It’s psychopathic
    How is 17 months sending the right deterrent signals to other aggressive drivers who hate cyclists and contemplate the same?
    I;m sick of nearly getting knocked off every road ride because drivers think their needs are the only important ones

andyl
    Free Member

he looks like the brother from my name is Earl!

irc

No excuses for the bus driver but arguing with a driver, tugging their wiper then riding off slowly in front the vehicle is suicidal.

“Mr Mead pulled his bike up against the front of the Bugler Coach as they stopped at traffic lights and tugged at one of the windscreen wipers. He then rode off, at a slow pace, in front of the bus.”

aracer
    Free Member

17 months not enough IMO.

I thought so too. Now whilst I don’t know the full details, the sentencing guidelines for GBH with a weapon is a baseline of 18 months and a range of 12 months to 3 years. For a first time offender without much in the way of other aggravating factors, 17 months seems about right (you can argue that the guidelines are wrong if you like, but that’s a separate issue – he got prosecuted for the correct thing and sentenced in accordance with the guidelines).

Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Bus driver jailed for using his vehicle as a weapon’ is closed to new replies.