Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Burning massive indigestible logs?
  • globalti
    Free Member

We bought a bag of kiln dried softwood. Most of the pieces are triangular and 2-3 inches each side so burn pretty well. Unfortunately some are almost 6″ per side and hard to burn. Now normally of course I would set to them with my maul and divide them into smaller pieces but that’s in storage. I’m having some success burning them on a good bed of embers and medium draft. Anybody got any suggestions?

blokeuptheroad

I find that once you get the fire hot with a good deep layer of red embers completely covering the floor, even the biggest logs will burn well. A good bed of embers is the key.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I had a very hot curry for dinner yesterday, and this thread title sums up my toilet experience this morning 💥🔥

blokeuptheroad

Or buy a cheap axe to tide you over ’til you get your maul back? It wouldn’t need to be anything special to split logs that size.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Ate you sure they are properly dry?

globalti
    Free Member

Oh yes.

We brought four large boxes of kiln-dried birch with us but we are reluctant to burn that here because it burns so nicely that we’d rather keep it for after moving. It’s so well dried that it actually smells cooked.

Kryton57

I had a very hot curry for dinner yesterday, and this thread title sums up my toilet experience this morning

I too thought this was a Curry / bog roll in the fridge thread.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I find that once you get the fire hot with a good deep layer of red embers completely covering the floor, even the biggest logs will burn well. A good bed of embers is the key.

100% this.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I suggest the solution is to buy a decent fire. Any dry log that fits in my stove burns fine. I can’t get my head around the idea that a log that fits wouldn’t burn.

globalti
    Free Member

This is a Charnwood stove that’s recessed into the fireplace. I have to go and mess with it every ten minutes to keep it going.

sharkbait
    Free Member

2-3″ logs are barely bigger than kindling. The bigger ones will obvs take longer to dry -and time is money in a kiln.
    Sounds like they dried the smaller pieces and pulled the lot out.

If they were dry they should burn.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I have a small 5kw stove and it burns any size log I manage to wedge in it. 30cm long x 20 x 20 no bother no matter what the type of wood. Unless it is not properly dry. Some of the soft wood I have had has taken longer to season than the birch. I can only think that the large pieces ate just not properly seasoned.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m agree with the opinions that if it fits in the stove it should burn unless it is a high moisture content.

Kiln drying could leave you with an outside that smells toasted but an inside that still is moist. Kiln dried logs are also a poor idea environmentally, goes against using a short cycle carbon fuel source.

Solution – build a wood shed and season your own wood, and perhaps buy a better stove suitable for wood where the heart doesn’t fall out of the fire.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Solution – build a wood shed and season your own wood, and perhaps buy a better stove suitable for wood where the heart doesn’t fall out of the fire.

The OP is in temporary accomodation and I’m sure he’ll be on the case when he moves to the new place – but for now it really does seem like the bigger wood is just wet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its not kiln dried that much is clear.

Or your shutting down the vents too soon and too far. The fire should burn them no issue

eulach

I’ll just leave this here:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/nov/11/keep-the-home-fires-burning-dont-even-think-about-it

(Please don’t take offence – I am playing Devil’s advocate and would dearly love to have an open fire.)

jamiemcf

The fire should rip through softwood. Open the vents right up and create an inferno. A roaring fire is enjoyable

If the birch burns well chuck some of that on and enjoy the satisfaction of a nice bright flame.

You can always get some well seasoned hardwood once your new place is set up. The replenish your stocks.

fettlin

Got a drill handy?

When I’ve had to burn big chunky rounds that I CBA (knotty) to split I’ve drilled a hole through the middle to let some air flow.

piemonster

Another one here who thought this was about a Curry calamity

neilnevill
    Free Member

If it’s dry it’ll burn but big always burns slower, and one log on it’s own is often difficult. Hot stove, air open, or a smaller piece to keep the big bite company and it will burn well… If it’s dry. Big bits dry slower so will come out the kiln at a higher moisture content. It might be dry and smell cooked on the outside, but it might be a bit wetter than ideal in the middle.

timber

Just heat and air flow, you’ve got a mass of fuel with limited surface area, fire triangle innit?

In desperate times, prop something smaller underneath to make some air underneath and the door open a little.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ll just leave this here:

I tend to agree…. But a properly run stove is many miles removed from an open fire.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not likely a stove issue, more probable that the chimney has poor draw.

globalti
    Free Member

The bloomin stove smokes like hell into the room when I open it so yes, perhaps the chimney doesn’t draw well.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Burning massive indigestible logs?’ is closed to new replies.