Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Burly forks
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Fancy a new 27.5 160mm boost fork. I don’t race, I just enjoy riding the Peak District and occasional holidays in the Alps or Pyrenees.

Out going fork is a 2016 pike. Looking at either the Fox 36 Grip 2 or the Lyrik Ultimate RC2.

Anyone know what the differences are between 2019 and 2020 models? Anyone have first hand experience of both?

Onzadog
    Free Member

No one want to talk about bicycles any more?

breninbeener

Tis 5am here, im sure someone will come and help soon!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Original post was 7pm. Thought someone might have something to offer then.

Maybe someone outside the UK might have something to offer at this time of day.

otsdr
    Free Member

No experience whatsoever, but the Manitou Mezzer looks pretty burly.

joebristol

Either fork will be epic. The general consensus is that the Lyrik is easier to setup but the Fox has an extra adjustment.

I believe the Lyrik has low and high speed compression adjust and low speed rebound. The Fox adds high speed rebound adjust.

Both are similarly stiff and I’ve never seen any comment about either lacking in that department.

From 2019 to 2020 RS improves the seals on the Lyrik / came up with a more slippery grease or damping oil or something like that – and they changed the range of the hsc adjuster I think.

Not sure what Fox did between the 2019 and 2020 versions.

The Lyrik seems to be coming out marginally on top on magazine reviews but essentially the view is the Lyrik is more plush at the start than the Fox, it perhaps the Fox uses its mid range a little better.

Manitou Mezzer has a good review in a recent test but can’t remember where, but it’s not on very many bikes at the moment. Most of the other brands have a decent burly fork but I think I’d go with the Lyrik (probably a red one) as it’s normally cheaper than the Fox 36.

Note I have a 140mm travel 2017 Pike with a charger 1 and debonair airspring, plus a 2017 Lyrik with a charger 2 (rct3) and debonair airspring – 170mm travel.

The Lyrik is definitely better than the Pike but it’s hard to compare objectively with the travel difference. Shortly changing the Lyrik to 140mm as swapping out my Enduro frame for a shorter travel trail frame. Will be easiest to compare the difference at that point.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Pick the one you like the colour of, and you can get the best price on?

I personally prefer the simplicity of the Ultimate RC2 adjustments…just because I dont need 2 rebound settings in my life.

timbog160

I have both and prefer the Lyrik but only because I’ve been riding them longer, so I’m more used to them. As above you can’t go wrong with either in my experience!

jamj1974

The 36 is a great fork. Not ridden a Lyrik for a long time…

I have been very pleased with my Ohlins RXF 36 – but you are not asking that!  😉

zezaskar
    Free Member

Had both a Lyrik and a 36 in the last 2 years, both in 29 160mm.
    The Lyrik always felt smoother and more comfortable, as well as easier to open for maintenance.
    The 36 seems to be stiffer, better midstroke support, less dive, more progressive and better on big hits.

Splitting hairs here, but would go Lyrik for longer trail/AM stuff and 36 for balls to the wall riding.
    Both killer forks

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s for the input folks. Not an easy decision (although a nice dilemma to have).

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fox 36 for me. Both brillibags forks though!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Lyrik can be had for much less money than a 36, it’s generally rated as being slightly better by magazines and it’s much easier to service. No brainer really.

JP

sofaboy73
    Free Member

winstanleys have got the 2019 float 36 in at £750 at the moment. last years model, but not difference to this years if you’re going for the grip 2 damper (only the fit damper they’ve changed this year)

makes them pretty much same price as the lyrik

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting. Couldn’t find any difference on the fox between 2019 and 2020.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Burly forks’ is closed to new replies.