Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Burgtec vs OneUp pedals
  • tails
    Free Member

Both pedals look decent, Even the plastic oneup looks good but not ridden plastic before, does it feel okay?

I’m mostly after infrequent servicing, I’m coming from a pedal that had igus bushings which weren’t the best.

Has anyone had problems with either brand or both perform as expected.

Cheers

scrabble

I have the Burgtec plastic pedals for a year now and have no complaints. They have performed better than the previous pairs of DMR and Spank pedals and have no play in the bearings so far.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Are you talking plastic for both? That said, neither were as goods the old plastic Horizon Comps. The Burgtecs got quite rattley quickly & grip wasn’t great & the OneUp’s were the same. They also felt worse, being convex.

I’d just buy a set of metal Nukeproof Horizons & not worry about pedals again.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I’m also not much of a fan of the thinner M3 pins plastic pedals tend to use. They bite fine but feel kind of “floaty”, as if they’re chewing the sole.

kiwijohn

I had plastic Burgtecs after Chromag Synths.
    Have gone back to Synths now.

elliott-20
    Free Member

I have Penthouse flats on both my bikes. Metal on the MTB, plastic on the adventure/touring/commuter bike.

Between the two the plastics feel grippier but the metal ones have survived many pedal strikes and encounters with trees.

Both excellent pedals.

tails
    Free Member

I’m mainly interested in the metal version, sounds like the plastic are okay. Might just go burgtec as LBS stick them.

jedi

I have burgtec metal and plastic. Plastic are gripper but metal ones are more bling 😇

BillOddie

My boys have run the same Nukeproof plastic pedals for about 4 years smashing them into all sorts of things, aside from a few scrapes they look fine and I haven’t had to touch them.

joefm

Just buy Nukeproof. They’ve lasted far longer than the Burgtec’s did (which needed rebuilding once a year). The finish is good too because the top is polished Alu and therefore the anodizing doesnt fade.

No idea on plastic pedals.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m not the only one that’s had to rebuild the latest Burgtec Penthouse a few times in the year or so I’ve had them.

No comment on the plastic ones obviously.

kelvin

OnOne plastic just run and run for me… unlike DMRs.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The missus has plastic Burgtecs and they’ve just worked in all weathers. Don’t get smashed into rocks much, mind.

I’ve had metal MkVs for a year and they’ve gone stiff or seized every time the bike was been washed or got wet. Looks like the axle rusts onto the bush. This despite frequent regreasing. I think there’s minimal tolerance between the axle and the bush so any grease gets squeedgeed out the way when you reassemble the pedal.

tails
    Free Member

Hmmm that’s not good if people are having to rebuild an expensive pedal. I’ll have a look at the other options.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Metal Burgtec MkIV I have two pairs of and they are my favourites.  Not the biggest platform but I have small feet so no problem for me

Metal One-Up pedals I really like that they are all cartridge bearings with no bushes and the self extracting bearing replacement is great.  Only trouble is I’m not so keen on the shape or skinny pins

Not tried the latest Burgtec or the plastic ones

bungalistic
    Free Member

Burgtec Mk4’s here also and they are very good not had any issues, they do sit quite close the the crank arm so not for everyone, maybe the Mk5’s have updated that.

submarined
    Free Member

Plastic Burgtec here, bearings a little grumbly. Platform feels quite small as well.
    Deity Deftraps on another bike though, and I bloody love them. Large platform, grippy, and tough. Not had them long enough to comment on sealing though.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’ve got the RaceFace Chester and the El Plastique Superstar/On One jobs. Both great.
    The Chesters have been on over 4 years and I’ve barely touched them and have great grip. Still look good too.

zerocool

My MK1s are still going strong, although they are looking battered now and have been rebuilt once (I did buy them when they were new out). And my bother’s MK5s are still spinning dispute being abused and never ever being serviced.

impatientbull

Metal One-Up pedals I really like that they are all cartridge bearings with no bushes and the self extracting bearing replacement is great. Only trouble is I’m not so keen on the shape or skinny pins

They’ve now replaced the outer bearings with a brass bushing. I like the pedals, but had two instances of the outer bearings imploding and score the axle and inside of the pedal.

Rubber_Buccaneer

They’ve now replaced the outer bearings with a brass bushing. I like the pedals, but had two instances of the outer bearings imploding and score the axle and inside of the pedal.

That’s not good.  I guess that wasn’t a one off hence the switch to a brass bushing.  I preferred having a cartridge bearing that could be replaced but that isn’t much use if the old bearing has trashed the pedal

tails
    Free Member

Hmmm what about that Shimano xt flat. Might have s look at that and The nukeproof

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve had no problems with OneUp metals on my higher milage use bike after a year of mud and water on the road and gravel.

mashr

Deity Deftraps on another bike though, and I bloody love them. Large platform, grippy, and tough. Not had them long enough to comment on sealing though.

Was here to say this. Had mine since some point late last summer and currently doing a great job

ossify

I have the OneUp plastic ones, have only used them for about half an hour but they seem great.

HTH 😁

endomick
    Free Member

Alloy OneUp pedals have given me no problems, the slight convex shape hasn’t caused any issues with loss of grip, super grippy and reliable so far, combined with 165mm cranks and halved the amount of rock strikes.
    Also have unite instinct pedals and can highly recommend.

andybrad

ive got the alloy oneup pedals and i like them.

they dont spin a lot but are nice in use.

danmac
    Free Member

Burgtec mk4 conposites here. Less than 4 months and less than 200 miles on bike and had they’re first clean and grease last week due to dry bushes and horrid noises. Feel wise they’re great and dead easy to pull apart and reassemble. Nothings built to last thesedays however but overall for the price i paid, i think theyre a decent pedal

VanHalen

burgtec plastics here – nearly 2 years old and i`ve not done anything to them. used very regularly

i prefer them being slightly narrower than some as i dont hit them as much and bigger platforms.

for the price theyve lasted long enough i wont be annoyed replacing them now.

Northwind

The oneups are thin but they’re just not a good shape imo, I sold them after a couple of rides. Certainly not terrible but nowhere near as good as my horizons

(I appreciate that’s not totally helpful since the horizon comps are discontinued but there are other similar pedals)

leegee

Had brief rides on plastic Burgtec and they were too small for me, Plastic OneUp’s felt good. I have Deftraps and they are the best pedal I’ve used.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Apologies for the slight thread hijack. Anyone with the burgtec penthouse mk5, have you noticed the colour fade over time?

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve had both the OneUp Alu and Burgtec Mk5’s. Overall I much preferred the OneUp pedals.

The OneUp internals lasted longer for me.

The OneUp pedals felt much better under foot. They’re my favourite pedal I’ve ever used for under the foot feeling. Even for my modest sized 9.5 feet I felt the platform of the Burgtec’s was too small.

The large inboard bearing on the OneUp might be an issue for some, it didn’t bother me. Although the Mk5 Burgtec’s don’t sit as close to the crank arm as the Mk4’d did (which I did also once own) they were closer than many other pedals and for me this caused problems with my knees after a few months of use.

My Burgtec’s annoyed me so much I took them off after about 6 months. They need some new internals, they hurt my knees and I didn’t like how they felt under foot.

My OneUp pedals were fantastic, except I managed to break an axle… twice. I’d put that down to the pedal having a fairly hard life. But this was the reason I took them off. OneUp were fantasic about it and sent me replacement pedals both times with zero fuss. This doesn’t seem to be an issue which is widely reported, so perhaps I was just unlucky. I’m thinking of buying another pair now as I’ve not found a pedal I like as much since owning them.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I have the feeling that every flat pedal discussion eventually comes full circle and the conclusion seems to be Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hills.
    Plastic pedals are cheap. But then, Horizons are not that much more expensive, everyone has CRC vouchers
    Vaults are grippy. But then, are they really any grippier than Horizons?
    X and Y pedals are reliable, but very few people ever had any issues with Horizons.

snotrag

One-up Composites here, love them, feel good (better than the Nukeproofs on my other bike) and light – you have to spend an absolute tonne on alloy pedals to get them to the weight of One-up plastics.

Zero play or wear in mine after about two years too.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Burgtec vs OneUp pedals’ is closed to new replies.