• This topic has 65 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mopc.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Burgtec shock bushings or Works Components headset on Canyon Nerve AM
  • fivespot
    Free Member

Bit late on the thread, but to answer the original question. I have tried a Works Components 1.5 headset on a Nerve AM. To do so I machined the adapter below to accept a WC headset. This will only work with a std. 1 1/8″ steerer, which for me was ideal as I bought my Nerve AM as a frame only, and already had Revelation 150 Teams. The conversion worked spot-on. With the slacker front, it was a few mm lower at the front (7-8mm I think) which would equate to maybe 3mm at the BB, plus a very slight steepening of the seat tube. but I didn’t keep the frame long as I found out I could get a Mega frame on the Cycle to Work scheme 😀

Adapter is available for a tenner if anybody’s interested 😉

agh100
    Free Member

Just an update on this..
    I had a very quick email reply from a guy called Rick at Works Components. They are planning on making some headsets to work with Canyon Nerve frames in the next few weeks, sounds very promising..
    Sounds like they would make something similar to what fivespot machined (above)?

see the reply I got..

The reason current headsets dont fit is the bottom headcup style – they have gone for an IS standard lower headtube where the bearing drops straight into the frame – there is no headcup so a standard cup wont fit.

We would need to make a cup to suit this size, essentially replacing the bearing with an interference fit cup – I expect we could alter head angle by 1.5 degrees but it would mean using an external cup so extra stack height would be a necessity – this would mean a 1.5 degre headset could alter actual head angle by 2.2degrees due to the extra height of the lower cup.

The lowering effect on the front end when slackening the head angle would be offset by the cups extra height so front end height would be raised by less than the cups actual height of around 10mm – likely around 5mm in actual effect.

Price would be in-line with all of our other headsets – around £79.99

We are due to run off a new headcup to suit tapered steerer tubes in 44mm ht frames, we wiill be able to produce some headsets to suit your bike at the same time – should take around 3 weeks start to finish.

mintimperial

Smashing! Sounds perfect. I’ll drop them an email to register my interest. 😀

I have to say I’d only really be interested if it would fit the existing tapered steerer fork I have in there. I looked at buying fivespot’s custom headset thingy off him a while back, but I’d need to buy new forks or replace the CSU or something to run that, at which point I’d be spending enough extra that I was looking at just flogging the frame and getting a new slacker one instead…

agh100
    Free Member

yeah I have a tapered steerer too, I understand the part they are proposing would be for tapered steerers.

I’m not sure if 2.2deg overal might be a little too slack or if that would be just right..

mintimperial

I’m not sure if 2.2deg overal might be a little too slack or if that would be just right..

Hmm. Yep, I’d probably want to knock off around 1.5deg ideally. I’d still go for it at 2.2 though.

mattjevans
    Free Member

I’d be keen on this too, would take one (at least) of the bushings out i guess – how slack should a trail bike be really?

mrelectric

Nerve 2011 is 69deg.
    I’ve just moved my 08/09 Marin Rock Springs from 70 to 67 by moving lower pivot option and I like it. Very small change in BB height change, none in seat angle.
    I thought 2.2deg might be too much but I’m up for this for my Nerve – seems like a popular choice too.

Been onto Works and they are prioritising this over next few weeks.

I’m assuming I can install this easily myself; done std headsets OK.
    Looking forward to this.

mattjevans
    Free Member

2012 is 68.5. I’d prefer a 1 degree cup which presumably would move HA by 1.7 or so with the adaptor cup.

Together with Burgtec bushings this might get it to 66ish, basically same as a Nukeproof Mega, and keep the BB close to original.

mattjevans
    Free Member

Has anyone heard from Works if this is confirmed to be available soon?

mintimperial

Nope, I’ve emailed Works twice and received no reply either time. Anyone else heard anything?

mrelectric

Yes, last Monday. They’ve got a backlog and should have the prototype ready about now with a production run within the next 7-14 days.

Then gotta get my AM back from Canyon after they fix the pivots and cranks.

mintimperial

Smashing! Please post up here if you have any more updates, cheers…

rondo101
    Free Member

what’s wrong with your pivots Mr E?

euans2
    Free Member

I emailed Works the other week and as of yet i’ve heard nothing back ether,I think i’ll just be sticking with my Burgtec bushes now

mrelectric

Lower chainstay pivots gone, esp drive side. The rest of the linkage is so stiff I didn’t notice until shock & wheel were removed for service at TF. Bike back at Canyon for 3+ weeks now; I am confident they’ll honour the 2 year warranty. Hammershmidt supposedly worn out (yearish old) so discussions in hand….

continuity
    Free Member

OH MY GOD NOT THIS THREAD AGAIN

mattjevans
    Free Member

From Works. All sounding good

“I should be setting up a prototype to be machined by the end of the week all being well.

We will have 1 and 1.5 degree options – if there is call for it we would make an internal option for 1 1/8″ steerer tubes but it looks like most Canyon owners have full-builds with tapered forks.

Yes, all of our cups are anodized black so will be in keeping with the frame / componentry.

I will get some more info on our facebook page as soon as we have it, and an item on our site when it is available.
    Thanks, regards, Rick”

mattjevans
    Free Member

Lower chainstay pivots gone? As in disappeared, David Blane style? That would give me a bloody shock, hope mine remain firmly on the bike.

agh100
    Free Member

update from works components facebook page..

“Canyon Nerve Prototype headset is going in for anodizing today – test fitment later this week – Nearly there!”

mattjevans
    Free Member

Anyone here the “test pilot”?

mattjevans
    Free Member

Fingers crossed for this week?

euans2
    Free Member

I see that Works have now launched the Canyon angle set. Has anyone bought and fitted it the the Canyon Nerve AM yet? If so, how are you getting on with it?

mrelectric

I tried the prototype and have been very happy. Steerer tube was too short so used original Acros on top for now; zero stack due soon to finish the job for 1.0 deg or 1.5 actual with raising by external lower race. Acros bearings fit fine too.

http://www.workscomponents.co.uk/new—10-degree-ec44–ec52—tapered-steerer-tube-headset—-canyon-fitment-260-p.asp

Bernaard
    Free Member

I had offset bushings on my old Titus FTM and have the Burgtec ones on my 575.
    Best thing I have ever done IMO

BTW the e bay ones don’t stock all they say and you have to pay before they tell you that, hence the faff of a refund.
    Burgtec are much nicer people

agh100
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a 1 degree set to my nerve AM. Only ridden it once, not a massive difference but the front wheel is slacker so I reckon when I try it out on some downhill trails it will be more stable.

mopc
    Free Member

Any updates on a Works headset in a Canyon Nerve AM?

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Burgtec shock bushings or Works Components headset on Canyon Nerve AM’ is closed to new replies.