Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Burgtec Mk Vs going stiff?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Anyone else having problems with their MkVs going stiff or seizing up after a wet ride or washing the bike?

I bought a pair in March, they didn’t get used much through early summer, but pretty much every wet ride since, one or other of them has gone proper stiff and needed a strip down. Even out of the box they’ve never felt “free” in the Shimano SPD “tap them and they spin” sense of the word, but they get to the point you need to grab them and properly wrench them to turn – you can feel them resisting as you backpedal.

After the first couple of times it happened (and I’d stripped and regreased them to no avail), I took them back to Burgtec (nice road ride over there). The Ratboy lookalike diagnosed not enough grease, fitted new bushes and sent me on my way. They’ve still carried on getting stiff whenever I wash the bike – especially now over the winter, as most rides are filthfests.

As best I can tell the clearance between the bush and the axle is VERY tight, so there’s no layer of grease for the bush to float on – the bearing surface on the axle shows faint corrosion and the bushing has similar brown stains on. There is a seal there, but I’m not convinced its doing much!

I’ve got servicing them down to a sub-10 min job, but I really feel I shouldn’t have to on such an expensive pair of pedals! I’m starting to think about fitting a greaseport, like I did on my Vaults.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Both of my mark 4 pedals do this, feel stiff as a bugger when new, and sometimes get stiffer, but compared to the previous rattling vaults, they’re a joy!.

Don’t feel it when your pedalling, so I don’t bother about it.

riklegge

My mk4 have felt stiff too. In fact when they were new they unscrewed from the crank the first time I used them.

They feel better now, but I think if and when I need new pedals I will probably replace with nukeproof horizon.

Mugboo

No idea if they are the same bearing/bush design but my composites spin freely and have so far shrugged of the weather but now you’ve prompted me I might give em a service. They have proved tough too, I’ve clattered them off plenty of rocks and there’s a bent pin or two but no real damage.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Both mine are 4 years old, and only one of them has required a service yet, canny really complain.

sillyoldman

Mugboo – Composites are a more typical Wellgo style bushing and bearing set up.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I know this might sound dumb, but things like this are in part what made me go back to clips recently.
    With flats there seems to always be something on with the pedals, either internals or broken/bent pins. Then the shoes are either king of light but not durable or grippy, or grippy and stiff but clog like.

Back to a pair of XT SPD and Shimano shoes, if experience serves me well these will last and work forever

Mugboo

Thanks sillyoldman

Superficial
    Free Member

Yes mine (Mk5 metal ones) have been very similar to what you describe. Perhaps it’s the Eastern Peak District treatment. I had to service them a couple of times each over the summer. Fortunately it’s a relatively easy (5mins / side) job. Before the Burgtechs I ran Saints which are much too thick and heavy but I didn’t touch the axles the whole time I used them (~4 years?). I’m back on (Shimano) SPDs for the proper winter slop which are, obviously, totally fine.

Burgtechs feel nice underfoot but I can’t help but feel they’re mainly expensive bike jewellery. Except a lot of the lovely-looking anodising has worn off too. I probably wouldn’t buy them again, although I’ve only heard good things about the composite ones.

things like this are in part what made me go back to clips recently.

Absolutely. Even the cheap Shimano SPD pedals (are they still called PD-M520?) are absolutely bombproof, and you can get decent waterproof shoes with them too. For me, clips in winter is a no-brainer. But if you’re prepared to put the shoe issue aside, is possible to get flat pedals with more resilient bearings.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I just got a pair this am. Will chuck them on the Rune see how they do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Burgtec Mk Vs going stiff?’ is closed to new replies.