• This topic has 30 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Burgtec anyone?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Looking at their bars and stems. The online pictures look good but I find it difficult to judge the quality. Are they another Nukeproof (no disrespect) or are they more towards the Renthal end of the scale?

Ta folks

tomhoward

Quality is brilliant (based on my penthouse mkIVs) different league to nukeproof

mccraque

quality is great. I mentioned on another thread that the shape of the trail bars is definitely one to try before you buy. I’ve got used to mine but they did take a lot of fiddling with rotation!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

just out of interest are renthal high quality? , i just thought they were marketed well and did great deals with the manufacturers to ensure they got put on the higher end bikes. its bling everyone loves gold.

had a look at some of the burgtec gear a few months ago, the stems are lightweight and look good, (what colour to choose, would be my problem), a friendly bunch and i picked up a cloud mk2 saddle for £20,

i’ve just gone on to get the titanium railed version for another bike [£53 cyclestore]..

burgtec seems to have setup their stall well, supplying santa cruz dealers stif and pedal n spoke..

think i’ll go burgtec one day, although I’m not keen on the bubble pattern on the top of the stem, from the cockpit view

Hadge
    Free Member

I’ve run Burgtec bars for years now and love the shape and width of them. Quality wise I cannot fault them either.

cokie

I really like the Burgtec components I’ve had. Bars, stem, grips & chainring were good quality with a nice finish and lasted without issues. The stem and pedals are overbuilt, which is comforting. They’re a small outfit too so always try to support them.

cupotea

I have their bar and stem.  Finishing is superb and the bar has a degree more sweep more than most. How much of a difference that makes I’m not sure but I find them very comfy.

I spoke to them at Ard Rock and they seemed a really nice bunch so will certainly use them again. Maybe it shouldn’t influence my purchases so much but staff interactions sway my decisions massively.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

brilliant stuff. looks on pinkbike for their ‘seconds’ i got 3 NW rings for a 10 each as they had the wrong number teeth printed on them. 32 printed when actually 34 and so on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

just out of interest are renthal high quality? , i just thought they were marketed well and did great deals with the manufacturers to ensure they got put on the higher end bikes. its bling everyone loves gold.

Pretty sure it’s all made in Manchester.

Whether you think someone in Manchester can make better bars than someone in Taiwan is a different matter but the brand name is worth a lot as they’re the the de-facto bars for motorcross bikes once you take off the heavy OEM ones.

rocketman
    Free Member

Many thanks all. Burgtec – incoming!

just out of interest are renthal high quality?

I have a bike that’s all Renthaled out and I quite like it. I’m not fussed about alugold and there’s only so much you can do with bars and grips but the stem and chain ring have that intricate detailing and close tolerance machining that Hope do so well.

tdog
    Free Member

I managed to buy a set of new pedals of theirs for a bargain on ebay store of all places.

was not impressed that in the box they don’t have any protection between each pedal and found very slight gouges and anodising that had been scratched off from pins on both sides of each pedal which was weird.

They do however look quality just like the Hope F20s just cheaper.

can’t wait to get them on the build.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Strange, the pukka version comes in a decent box. They’re in a different league to Hope pedals btw, I even have a set on my commuter! 🙂

mikeryan
    Free Member

I have a set of bars and stem that come on my stif morf. They seem good. The bars do mark easy from being in the back of the car. My stem front clamp did break however. Not a  big off but just slid out and the bars hit the mud. Burgtec were really good and did replace it. It was shipped to me next day as well. When I look at  my hope stem it is certainly more robust. But the burgtec do look better.

zerocool

Everything I’ve bought from Burgtec over the years has been faultless from pedals to Ti offset shock bushes.

My Renthal Fatbars are the best feeling bars I’ve ever used.

Northwind

Re renthal, they might have inhoused the bars now but they certainly started out far eastern- motorbike bars don’t have the shaping and butting that bike bars do so they just didn’t have the (very expensive) hardware. Pretty sure all the machined parts are inhouse.

tdog
    Free Member

Yeas my mk4 pedals came in the not so pukka Burgtec box without a cardboard sleeve in between pedals unlike Hope’s which does. Weird & the axle bearings feel tighter than a ducks butt!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, they are rather tight feeling when new, but settle down, and don’t spin and rattle a la vaults.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Recent article on Renthal on pinkbike. Made in glorious stockport

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/inside-renthal-moto-and-mountain-bike-component-manufacturing.html

mikedabear
    Free Member

I sold my Burgtec pedals and went back to Vaults.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I loved may vaults, but they were even more cheeselike than my WTB rims. The Kraft cheese singles of the pedal world. 🙂

shipton47
    Free Member

Had vaults and F20’s on my bikes and not fussed on either, thought quality on vaults wasn’t great unlike the hopes , but the grip on vaults was good but lacking in F20. Found the burgtec best of both, packaging was ok again just cardboard sleeve divider, rather they spend my money on the pedals than packaging. I have their Enduro bar alloy which do like quality is good but prefer my chromag bar. Been happy with their stems.

tdog
    Free Member

I might post up pics of the tiny gouges past the alloy ano that the pins have made whilst in box in transport I was told more than likely.

hence a cardboard divider in their fancy looking box would have stopped.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not ideal, I agree, as it’s nice to get something new that actually looks new, but they’ll be scratched to buggery after a few rides anyway, and the main thing is that they are bloody awesome, clyde built and the bearings stay lovely for ages.

I hit a hidden stump on a local trail a few weeks back with my lower pedal, my vaults would have shat themselves in half, the Burgtecs laughed whilst stopping the bike dead and firing me over the bars. 🙂

cjr61

Loving my Burgtec carbon bars, stem and pedals.  Always really helpful guys and top service.

tdog
    Free Member

Aha yes indeed they would after a bit of use true true!

they are very high quality I can tell plus they were £70 then got a tenner knocked off that for the ano gouges. I nean they are tiny but on all sides in iirc all corners.

puts my £125 F20s that I got for £80 iirc new to shame but both I can tell are the best pedals I’ve ever had. Time will tell on the Burgys as my build is imminent.

waiting on a much needed small part to complete and start the build, or rather get the bike built this time around.

so your pedals laughed at you for going otbars! That’s nice 🤪

what colour did you go for? I went for purple rain (first mtb purple part ever for me). Should be good!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Black. Always. I like a coloured frame and black finishing kit, always have done.

tdog
    Free Member

Fair enough! 👍😁

Mines gonna be matching or clashing you decide with green forks and a Ti frame.

gonna look 🤮 in a badass way

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pics needed!

njd187
    Free Member

My black Penthouse pedals have had that much hammer in the 2 years I have had them they are mainly raw aluminium now. I did break an axle on one. Guys at Burgtec were spot on. Sent me 2 new boost axles out same day. Which is a lot more than i can say for specialized who dont even supply spares other than bearing kits for their Boomslang pedals.

tdog
    Free Member

Pics of pedals:

http://a65.tinypic.com/vq6s00.jpg
    http://a65.tinypic.com/34xorjo.jpg
    http://a64.tinypic.com/2vjcrck.jpg
    http://a63.tinypic.com/1621jzb.jpg

All other blingy parts are unmarked. But it doesn’t now bother me tbf as they will be getting used soon enough. 😁

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Burgtec anyone?’ is closed to new replies.