Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • bunkhouses in peaks suggestions
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Anyone got bunkhouse recommendations in the peaks? trying to organise a weekend for around 10 people the 1st weekend of february (7/8)

also anyone got some good routes

funkynick

Try Thorpe Farm Bunkhouse just outside Hathersage… have used it a number of times and it’s not too bad.

There is also a bunkhouse in Bamford on a farm which I have used but can’t remember it’s name, it was a little nicer than Thorpe Farm, but also probably more expensive too!

defaultslipper
    Free Member

if you are looking for cheap bunkhouses take a gander at fallcliffe cottage (outside heathersage) and there is a hut in Stoney Middleton opposite the Moon Inn. I’m sure one of them was BMC affilliated clubs/ groups only, but can’t remember which one.

Both can take 10-15 people with good catering and living space, and log fire for heating.

let me know if i can helps anymore.
    andy

Richie_B

If your looking a bit further south Barn Farm in Birchover have a couple of camping barns

funkynick

Fallcliffe is owned by the University of London Mountaineering Club which means it can be a bit of a bugger to book unless you are a BMC affiliated club.

funkynick

Barn Farm is pretty good too… and has a cracking pub just down the road too :o)

trickydisco
    Free Member

Cheers guys

Have found this one in bamford
    homestead and cheesehouse

Can’t find any details for stoney middleton.

Don’t suppose anyone fancies showing us around the local trails on the saturday in exchange for beers/meal?

(Just found out sheldon and co are going up there the same weekend but think it would be a bit much for 8 or so more mountain bikers to tag along)

Who are the lot based up there.. bog trotters?

funkynick

The Boggies are Lakes based I believe… although do venture out that way…

And I would volunteer, but I’m as unfit as an unfit thing at the moment, so wouldn’t be pretty crap as a guide as I’d be the one at the back coughing up a lung and pushing up all the hills!

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Hi mate. Happened to stay in one only last fri in Bamford, and very nice it was too:

http://www.independenthostelguide.co.uk/selected-accommodation.php?area=44

My favourite place to ride. I don’t plan routes, so can’t help you there. Include the Beast decsent though, and Cave Dale if you’re feeling brave. I managed to ride all Cave Dale last saturday for the first time ever, though not without a few stops to get my courage up.

🙂

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Damn. You posted that while I was looking for the email of where it was off my laptop 🙁

trickydisco
    Free Member

cheers Steve.. Will enquire about that one. I hear you’re good at planning routes (with pub stops of course) 🙂

orena45

Steve – the reason you managed to ride down Cavedale last weekend was because you were still pished from the night before! 😆

But yeah agree, Homestead and Cheesehouse is nice

defaultslipper
    Free Member

found the one in stoney middleton:
    http://www.thedpc.co.uk/hut.html
    but looks like you have to be a member of their club, although i think we were bmc affiliated. guess i wasn’t much help!

if you don’t mind paying a little extra then there is bushey heath farm:

i think there were three bunkhouses that slept between 4 and 8 people so you could rent a couple of them (one of them had a power shower) and when we stayed there last they gave us some fresh eggs off the farm. worked out at £15 pppn or £12.50 if you had more than 12. not sure if their proces have changed but good value for some posh bunkhouse accommodation. it’s a bit far from the local pubs though if that’s what you want?

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

That’s probably true Andy. I want to do it with no more than 2 stops next time though 🙂

Not too bad at planning routes Gavin. I’ve just finished Scottish C2C, which does include a ‘Day of Death’ through the Cairgorms. We’ll see how people find that. I do a pretty mean Mountain bike pub crawl too.

🙂

hopevalley

Maybe try ‘The Little John’ pub in Hathersage – they have self catering apartments out the back – not sure how many they sleep but may be worth a look, and they have 3 guest beers on tap – they had a really nice dark porter on last night. luvverly!

I would have been keen to show you the trails but I’m on a tour of the Welsh trail centres that weekend. . . . first time for me!

hope you get something sorted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘bunkhouses in peaks suggestions’ is closed to new replies.