Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Bungee jump and the rope snaps!!!!
  • grahamt1980

http://www.channel4.com/news/aussie-tourist-survives-bungee-jump-snap

Someone just posted this on UKC. Holy crap!!!!!! 😯

marsdenman
    Free Member

😯

donsimon
    Free Member

😯 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

That is one raggedy looking rope.

Edit: 😯 😯 😯

matt_outandabout

donsimon
    Free Member

That is one raggedy looking rope.

And only 22, bless ‘er. 😛

deluded
    Free Member

A particularly cruel joke was played on a mate when he did a bungee jump in Australia a couple of years ago

As he was tipping over the edge and beyond the point of no return a travel buddy shouted ‘NOOOOOO’ and threw what looked like the unattached end of the rope into his view.

He wasn’t happy and didn’t speak to the lad for about a week – proper hacked off. He still refrains from talking about it to this day.

toys19
    Free Member

That isn’t a joke, its nasty. Bloke could have gone into shock. I would have got V angry too.

deluded
    Free Member

Agreed.

grahamt1980

lucky to get away without a kicking I reckon, I would have been about ready to throw him off the bridge had he done it to me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

and noel edmonds was nowhere to be seen 😯

Bear
    Free Member

Having walked across that bridge a few times I can assure you it is a long way down!

brakes
    Free Member

she was on the news.
    very lucky lady.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve done several and I don’t think a lad of my weight would have faired as well as her!! She wasn’t far from return point when it gave!! The bungee did look “well used” to be fair!!!

leffeboy

“I actually had to swim down and yank the bungee cord out of whatever it was caught into,” she said.

hard as

hoberinos
    Free Member

Having bungeed from that bridge, I agree that it’s a long way down!

tails
    Free Member

I thought you had to have two ropes one of which is a bungee the other a safety rope?

Whilst I’m not into this compensation culture I would be suing them senseless!

Jamie
    Free Member

I imagine you have to sign a waiver?*

*I have no idea if you do.

grahamt1980

You would certainly think that you would, although quite how rope snaps could be justified I am not sure.
    Bet the waiver is watertight, otherwise the insurance would be all over them

kaesae
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXhH4MZqgWY[/video]Shit like

that happens all the time!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sriUfHuHSXY[/video]

They just don’t mention it in the sales pitch 😆

djglover
    Free Member

Jesus. Karl Pilkington was right all along

Harry_the_Spider

When I did it many years ago there was a second rope.

kaesae
    Free Member

This is a classic as well, the water underneath it there for a reason 💡

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5OmSaCq3c4&noredirect=1[/video]

crazy-legs

I thought you had to have two ropes one of which is a bungee the other a safety rope?

No, that would be worse. If the bungee snapped and you were brought up short by a static safety rope, the jerk of it would probably break your neck.

The guys who ran the bungee junp I did told a story of how some bloke had done a jump with them and wouldn’t shut up about how many jumps he’d done, how he’d done the highest blah blah so when he was at the point of no return on his graceful swallow dive one of the instructors shouted “Shit, the rope’s not attached!”
    Guy apparently turned into a screaming flailing mass of limbs all the way down but it shut him up. 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

tails – Member

Whilst I’m not into this compensation culture I would be suing them senseless!

uh, huh, and im not a racist…..

kaesae
    Free Member

This ones very cool! the guys nuts!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87bbfzustvM[/video]

I was in the bath tub licking rocks out of my dumb ass for two weeks, I wonder why ❓

UncleFred
    Free Member

Bungee rockets/catapults normally have a safety line weaved into the rope, but for the reasons mentioned above this won’t work for a jump. If the rope snapped at it’s furthest stretch, she would have been fairly close to the water and not actually moving very fast, a 20 foot drop into the water wouldn’t hurt much. Problems happen the wrong length of rope is set for the weight ofnthe jumper, ie the rope used is too long. Jumper hits the deck before full stretch is reached. Head trauma is normally the result of that.

Bungee ropes are quite an exact science, rope makers know how much they stretch depending on how many wraps are used and the weight on the end of it. A good jump master could get you within a couple of inches of the ground.

In a previous life I ran a SCAD diving operation in Ayia Napa we used to a good repertoire of “jokes” as we dropped people. The bungee down under guys also had a habit of playing the odd joke on their clients.

kaesae
    Free Member

That should say picking 😯 , but I don’t doubt he might attempt licking them out!

Markie
    Free Member

Never mind, repeat story!

Harry_the_Spider

No, that would be worse. If the bungee snapped and you were brought up short by a static safety rope, the jerk of it would probably break your neck.

Second rope was also a bungee about 2′ longer than the other. Both inside the same outer cover. Main attached to the ankles, spare attached to a climbing harness. Both separately attached to the platform.

It was almost 20 years ago so my memory could be clouded.

Bear
    Free Member

It was rumoured that the guy who set the Zim jump up about 20 years ago now actually relieved himself on the way down the first time as it was so far.

wrightyson
    Free Member

2nd one I did I lost all the skin on the inside of my ankles when the bindings bit, they obviously weren’t tight enough!! Put it this way, after I felt the slip of the cuffs I didn’t point my toes anymore!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Double post!

Marmoset
    Free Member

She lives in the same suburb as me over here in Oz, big news over here today!

racefaceec90

i’m glad she (and everyone else whose rope failed) lived to tell the tale 😯

globalti
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do anything risky in Africa, it’s dangerous enough at the best of times. here’s a pic I took of a typical lorry tyre:

organdonor
    Free Member

3 second free fall, ouch!

globalti – Member
    I wouldn’t do anything risky in Africa

I wouldn’t even ride my bike…[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oymHHyV1M[/video]

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Used to live in Zambia as a nipper. The small addition problem with this bit of river is that it’s full of crocodiles. If the fall doesn’t kill you, the crocs will etc., etc.

br
    Free Member

I imagine you have to sign a waiver?*

In Africa…, and you’ll sue who otherwise.

wwaswas

I wouldn’t do anything risky in Africa

my mum caught a taxi bus in the Cameroon about 8 years ago.

‘rules of the road’ are that largest vehicle stays in the middle on the good bit and the smaller traffic pulls across onto the rough stuff at the edge.

The driver of her vehicle didn’t.

12 of the 15 people on board were killed and she was put with the bodies for a couple of hours until someone noticed she was still breathing.

3 days in a hut with no medical attention, 3 weeks in ‘hospital’ in the capital followign a helicopter evacuation (no one explained to her or her companion that you needed to pay for drugs etc before they administer them so she got little more treatment than she woudl in a hotel).

eventually was accompanied home on a standard flight and had an MRI in Manchester where they disgnosed a fractured skull, broken neck, broken shoulder and 3 broken fingers.

she’s currently being used as a ‘control’ for various studies regarding head injuries as so few people in this country are injured so badly and have no treatment for so long.

she goes to Mindanau in the Phillipnes fairly regularly now where she’s accompanied by a police SWAT team at all times due to the threat fo kidnap. She also pays for the running of an orphanage and 6 schools in India via a charity shop she runs so she visits those fairly regularly.

She’s 75 next year but I can’t see her slowing down much until she has to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Bungee jump and the rope snaps!!!!’ is closed to new replies.