Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Bungalows why ? who ? when ? stigma ? show us your bungalow ?
  • scud
    Free Member

Another advantage of the ground floor penthouse is that there is no squeaky stairs to negotiate when well “socially lubricated” with ale.

Also, I have a 3 year old daughter, when we lived in a house, we had to have a stairgate across the stairs to stop her falling down them, now she can wander where she likes (often into our room at 5.30am)

I can’t understand why people don’t like something just because it doesn’t have an upstairs? If the rooms are of the same size as a “normal” house and you have just as much living space, you don’t have a stairwell/ upstairs for heat to rise up into to, why are they considered the equivalent of moving to Bournemouth?

Ponty

We just knocked down a 1940’s prefab bungalow having which we lived in for 7 years and are building this. Mostly single storey with master bedroom, study and en suite above garage to avoid “bungalow knees”

Not having much luck linking to pic in Dropbox so here https://db.tt/CgnOx4VT

RustySpanner

We live in one of those 70’s A frame bungalows, built out of old Cornflake packets and Sellotape.
    I love it – enough space, nice & open.

Ours has an upstairs though.
    No, I don’t understand it either.

unfitgeezer – Member

Was there/is there a stigma involved in living in a bungalow ? Why was there one ?

Never heard of one, but some people just enjoy being arseholes.

piemonster

One other thing about my folks place, the loft space is massive.

You could almost fit another Bungalow up there.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Never heard of one, but some people just enjoy being arseholes.

Hope you’re not implying I’m one of them…I mean I do have one and at least twice a day poo comes out !

RustySpanner

Eh?
    I’m in the same boat as you sunshine, as per your OP genuinely never heard of one before. 🙂

I was just pointing out that if a totally unjustified prejudice doesn’t exist, then someone, somewhere will invent one.

Human nature innit?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I was being silly…lets turn this thread into some more fun…

all those that live in bungalows are complete and utter single minded storied twingos and their breath stinks of single floored malt…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Grew up in one, my folks built it after the war and materials were rationed so it ever went beyond one floor.
    Always was a freezing house but that’s because it had crap heating, one they put gas central heating in it became the warmest house I’ve ever been inside. Useful now they are 80+ no stairs, warm and easy to maintain.

Love the idea of going upstairs to bed in our house, just seems right.

Pigface
    Free Member

There aren’t many domestic buildings that don’t….

Ooooh get you, my terrace in Pontywaun had a middle room that had no outside wall, put that in your northern pipe and set it on fire 😉

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Most houses are single storey in my area and a huge majority of Australia. No idea why. I’ve seen 2 storeys marketed as “European style”.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where are you aphex ? Land was in abundance over there ?

brickwizard
    Free Member

We built one 5 years ago and put attic trusses on so if and when we decide more space is needed we can go up the way. its also great for storage in the meantime

project
    Free Member

Bung a low, eg bung a low roof on it.

Cant leave the bedroom windows open at night, no privacy in bedroom if overlooked, by locals in 2 storey houses.

Easier to get out of in a fire,

Easier to break into by…………………………..

Bigger attic space ,

CountZero

Mate of mine lives in one, he’ll probably inherit it. Former farm house, most of the land has now been sold, except for a 22 acre field they rent out. Really nice house, masses of space, he effectively has a wing to himself. I’m rather jealous, as my left knee gets ever more uncomfortable. It’s roughly ‘F’-shaped, with the kitchen between the two ‘arms’.
    Only close neighbour is the other side of the road, and it looks out onto the owned field.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Bungalows why ? who ? when ? stigma ? show us your bungalow ?’ is closed to new replies.