Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Bumble bee nest under shed……and I need to dismantle it. Help!!
  • granny_ring

I hoping to start building a new ‘mancave’ soon. I’m expecting to encounter a few problems particularly in sorting out leveling the ground for the base. The first is that nest under the shed.
    What do I do when I start dismantling the shed…
    Run quickly? Do they sting….? With all the talk about bees dying off is there a way of ‘moving them’ without harming them?
    Anyone any ‘sensible’ ideas or is it call in the experts?

Buzz buzz 😯

Thanks

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Do they sting???????

Markie
    Free Member

If you give your local bee keeping society a ring you’ll have a bunch of men with beards and bee smokers round in a flash. They’ll deal with it easily, be glad to have done so and that will be that – a happy ending for all concerned, including the bees.

At least, that was my experience. 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

Are they swarming? If not you’ll probably get no interest so call the local council.

edhornby

wot markie said – do you need to do it straight away ? can it not wait until the end of the season?

you sure it’s bees and not wasps?

mrmo
    Free Member

is it bumble bees? if so the nest will die soon enough, they are only an annual species.

If you can wait they will disappear.

footflaps

I moved one to make way for my workshop. I dug it out intact, but the bees all left once I’d disturbed it.

Bees nest I had to move by brf, on Flickr

To make up, I planted some Phycelia and a Lavender hedge (which the bees adore) and provided a new nest box for them:

Bumble Bee House by brf, on Flickr

Drac

They’re becoming rare now so leave them Bee.

dannybgoode

We had a bees nest and called a pest control guy – refused to come. Said he wouldn’t kill off a bees nest (my wife hates the, I wasn’t bothered).

Rather good of him I think.

Cheers

Danny B

Three_Fish
    Free Member

To make up, I planted some Phycelia and a Lavender hedge (which the bees adore) and provides a new nest box for them

What a gent [doffs cap]

joat

Your local bee man won’t collect bumble bees that’s for sure. But as has been said they will disappear in time.

footflaps

Apparently the nests are annual, so they’ll abandon it at the end of the summer.

Random Factoid of the day: there are over 250 different types of Bee in the UK…..

singlespeedstu

a Lavender hedge (which the bees adore)

We have a lavender hedge out the front of our house.
    I love seeing all the bees on it when im out the front of the garge working on the bikes. 🙂
    They’re so chilled out just bumbling around.

webcore
    Free Member

All gods creatures so just live and let live.
    For normal bees if you spot activity soon enough a paraffin soaked rag next to the entrance sends them away in time to make another nest. They hate it.

project
    Free Member

enter your postcode here for a swarm collector

http://batchgeo.com/map/994f4d7ca8991711988b36f8c9dc62f7

think of it as bee recycling

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t know about the rarity of bumblebees.. I was at my sisters last week and they have a passion flower bush over their heating oil tank.. With possibly thousands of blooms.. Each individual bloom had as many as 3 and sometimes even four bees industriously rummaging about on it.. A huge variety of species too including a ponderous preponderance of bumblebees!

I got the distinct impression that that bush was single-handedly repopulating the allegedly dwindling UK bee community.. An awesomely thrumming hive of activity

boxfish
    Free Member
    granny_ring

Thanks, defo bumble bees. Nice one footflaps, again!
    Quite nice seeing them going about their buzzy business in the garden and yes I didn’t think they stung like normal bees, sure the folks told me that years ago 🙂

Would like to get the mancave built whist we still have a ‘summer’ and decent weather but I’ll try calling the bee people first and see what they say beefore I do anything. 🙂

smatkins1
    Free Member

You shouldn’t interfere with bees. Your mancave will have to wait!

footflaps

I highly recommend planting Lavender for bees, it’s really hardy and easy to grow. Started in May with a load of £1.99 plants from B&Q:

Lavender Hedge by brf, on Flickr

And it’s now about 18″ square and covered in bees all day long:

Lavender Hedge by brf, on Flickr

granny_ring

Thanks box, I’ll have a read tomorrow.

zokes
    Free Member

We had a bees nest and called a pest control guy – refused to come. Said he wouldn’t kill off a bees nest (my wife hates the, I wasn’t bothered).
    Rather good of him I think.

So they told you to buzz off then?

What? My coat? Why thank you!

joshvegas
    Free Member

A bumble bee stung me on the back of the neck at glentress on saturday. It was quite sore.

But not that sore… lay into it with a spade and tell them I sent you.

anagallis_arvensis

Random Factoid of the day: there are over 250 different types of Bee in the UK…..

really? What do you mean by type? I thought there were about 25 bumble bee species but a few of them are thought to be extinct.

cheez0
    Free Member

Footflaps,

Get any bees in that box?

Cheers,

Danny Bee

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Proper LOL at Danny 🙂 Good start to the day, chaps!

granny_ring

Why wouldn’t he there’s even a porch at the front door. 😉

footflaps

Get any bees in that box?

Not the last time I looked. Apparently I need to fill it with mice nest material as Bees love the smell.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Bumble bee nest under shed……and I need to dismantle it. Help!!’ is closed to new replies.