Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bum Relief or Wrist Action?
  • jodafett

I’m contemplating buying a new gravel bike and was wondering what would be the most comfortable on 100+ miles rides? Bum relief or wrist action? I’ve narrowed things down to a GT Grade or Specialized Diverge. The GT offers floating seat stays which would provide a bit suspension for the bum and the Diverge has the future shock in the stem for the wrists. What do you guys think would be the most important for comfort over long distances?

rOcKeTdOg

What do you guys think would be the most important for comfort over long distances?

A bike that fits you properly in the first instance, even one with gimmicky suspension will still cause you pain or fatigue if it isn’t the right size or the set up is poor

matt_outandabout

RD is right.

sirromj

Wrist action by tiger or bum relief by elephant? You have to choose one.

tall_martin

I use a sprung brooks saddle on my road bike. It’s fine for me on the 130mile road ride to my inlaws. Bum was fine knees were not- cleat position I think.

I shifted it over to a hardtail for 100 mile over nighter on the South downs. I’m 100% sure some people would do that ride on a gravel bike in a day. Bum was fine, I was knackered- not enough training.

Diverge+ brooks flyer.

w00dster

Biggest tyres you can get.
    I’ve done big gravel rides (SDW and Ridgeway) on my Domane with 33mm tyres. Wrists were fine, but everywhere else was proper beaten up.
    My next gravel bike will be taking a min of 42mm tyres. That’s a genuine 42mm tyre as well.
    But out of those two I’d be going diverge.

sockpuppet

I’ve only ridden the future shock once on a hire bike, but it was pretty good. But yes, bike fit is at least as important

beaney
    Free Member

The future shock is very good. I had one and it does take a lot of buzz out of the front end. As for rear, good width tyre will help as much as anything.

I’d get a diverge, but agree with above comments that it’s always good to try one and get a good fit.

duncancallum

GT and a redshift stem?

I’d rather have the wrist comfort as on my gravel bike it’s the stood up descending that hurts the most

jodafett

A bike that fits you properly in the first instance, even one with gimmicky suspension will still cause you pain or fatigue if it isn’t the right size or the set up is poor

I wonder if this is the main issue? I’m 5’10 and always seem to be in between sizes. On a gravel bike should I size up or down or is it not as easy as that?

duncancallum

Size down

Wish I had

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bum Relief or Wrist Action?’ is closed to new replies.