Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Bulls on bridleway
  • lodious
    Free Member

Last night I found a lovely bit of new riding, but the bridleway lead to a field full of cows, with large warning signs indicating there is a bull in the field. What am I supposed to do? There were maybe 30 cows in the field, I can’t see if any of them are bulls, should I cross the field or not? My understanding is that at certain times of the year bulls are pretty aggressive, anybody know what time of year that is?

IHN

There were maybe 30 cows in the field, I can’t see if any of them are bulls, should I cross the field or not?

If you can’t tell the difference between a cow and a bull, I’d suggest you stay out of the field…

Seriously though, I thought it was illegal to put a bull with it’s breeding herd in a field with a path running across it.

mudslinger
    Free Member

That once happened to me & I spent 10 mins scanning the field for bulls before plucking up the courage to venture across :D. There are some regulations about it but I can’t remember what they are. Must look them up again.

mt
    Free Member

We need to take this issue by the horns

uplink
    Free Member

Just because there’s a sign doesn’t mean there’s a bull

FWIW – I’ve never had problems with bulls – even when they are in the same field as me

one tip though – don’t go giving his girls the eye 😀

simondbarnes

I think it’s only recognised dairy bulls that aren’t allowed to be kept in fields crossed by a public right of way.

Edit:

Section 59 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act
    1981 bans bulls of recognised dairy breeds (eg
    Ayrshire, Friesian, Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn,
    Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry) in all circumstances
    from being at large in fields crossed by public
    rights of way. Bulls of all other breeds are also
    banned from such fields unless accompanied by
    cows or heifers, but there are no specific
    prohibitions on other cattle. ‘Fields’ in this
    legislation does not include areas such as open fell
    or moorland.

Dave
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about cows with young than with a bull.

thomthumb
    Free Member

udderly ridiculous! 😀

IHN

I’ve never had problems with bulls

Or me, and I worked on a dairy farm all through my teens.

They are still big scarey b***ers up close though, especially when you slide open a cubicle shed door and find yourself nose to nose (well, chest) with one and he greets you with a loud bellow. Good job the yard already smelt of sh1t..

lodious
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about cows with young than with a bull.

That’s exactly what was in the field….should I have been worried?

trailmonkey

There’s a FP sign by me with a “Danger Bull, Keep Out” sign, on the post itself.

Marvelous.

MrAgreeable

It’s illegal to discourage people from using a bridleway using a false or misleading warning sign.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/ukpga_20000037_en_2#pt1-ch1-pb3-l1g14

Drac

Aye Dave is right sucklings are far more dangerous than any bull.

uplink
    Free Member

Try walking a dog near cows – they really don’t like them

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont ever get bettween him and his girls and cause them to run away from him or he will be miffed about the loss of his harem and act accordingly.
    YOu are not a threat unless you steal his cows.

gusamc
    Free Member

uplink – if some twatting dog ran around after you child barking aggressively what would you do (*and take into account you now are fairly large, have 4 legs, very limited vocabularly)

Also worked on a farm, the bulls tended to not be violent, but more unaware of their strength (ie I fancy a scratch, right I’ll jut use this handy person – ever wonder why telegraph poles in fields were skewed…) and determined (ie I fancy a shag – right I’m off, gate, what gate ?, what was that cracking sound, sorry – she’s a looker I’m off)

ski
    Free Member

As Lodious said, I would be more worried with a cow and a new born calf in the field.

Saying that, a friendly bull can be more dangerous than a nasty one.

As mentioned, its easier to take your eye of a friendly one and next thing you know you are a scratching post next to a fence 😉

I have seen a bull push over a six foot brick wall as if its not there, jump a picup.

Years back, feeding stock hay one winter out of a picup, had a bull with an itch get its head under the rear axel of the picup and lift it as if it was a cardboard box with me in the back!

Prompting me to do one over the picup roof and the quickest 80m dash you have ever seen 😉

Everyone knows the only dangerous animal on a farm it the farm owner, very short tempered and unpredictable 😉

Back to the OP, the only other time I would avoid a heard of cows in a field is when they are first let out after being stuck in all over winter, pretty obvious though if you see it happen 😉

ski
    Free Member

Forgot, another tip, if you do find they take interest in you, well more likely the bike you are riding anyway and start following you, try dropping a glove or something else you can do with out if they worry you that much, it should give you a bit of time to hop a fence while they investigate it 😉

el_diablo
    Free Member

it’s not just bulls that you need to be aware of

clicky

eek!

uplink
    Free Member

uplink – if some twatting dog ran around after you child barking aggressively what would you do (*and take into account you now are fairly large, have 4 legs, very limited vocabularly)

No dogs running around & no calves either
    I was walking with my young daughter along a river bank with the dog on a lead & a few cows suddenly ran at us
    It was pretty scary at the time but we eventually got over a stile onto a beach & one of the cows even smashed though the stile to pursue us but gave up shortly after
    Middle of August so I doubt they’d just been let out

Just here as it happens

ski
    Free Member

Uplink my guess, it was the dog they were curious about.

I know how scary it can feel too having a herd stampeding towards you, was your little one OK?

A heard can get excited if something new or unfamiliar comes into there world, you should see what happens when a hot air balloon lands in a field with them 😉

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

ive found that the sound of my pro2 is very interesting to the local cows, quite scary having a field full of cows staring you down as try and pass through quietly!

uplink
    Free Member

was your little one OK?

yeah she was fine – if a bit shaken

10 years on & she still won’t go near cows though

Bunnyhop

On page 101 of the ‘v’ graphics ‘White Peak mtb guide’, there’s a picture of me cycling past a bull. Never opened a gate so quickly in my life.
    I personally don’t think they should be allowed on footpaths or bridleways.

Quite a few people get killed annually by cows.

Drac

Quite a few people get killed annually by cows.

Very few.

gusamc
    Free Member

Hi uplink, sorry to hear that…..

I’ve experienced similar with bullocks (ie bovine teenagers) but they fold if you stand and wave/shout (*but with a kid and a dog, I’d do a runner as well, to be honest I’d ditch the dog as well…, as I suspect thta it may be the issue, maybe not though)

I’ve also seen food stampedes, ie get fed by people, therefore people = food, charge ….

I’ve had significantly more problems with dogs, horse riders and ramblers than I have with cows (and I’ve more or less had a head on collision with a full sized bull), however I also remember number 39, a cow on the farm I worked on, it would come for 1/2 a mile to have a go – it really had some problems.

I guess it’s a bit like people, some you do have to watch out for, the more experienced with animals you are the better your judgement is likely to be.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Bulls on bridleway’ is closed to new replies.