Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bullet-proof road tyres advice
  • hora
    Free Member

Basically I dont care if they are solid circles of rubber. Sick of having little slashes/punctures with small sharps etc.

vinnyeh

you'll probably get the same few tyres that always come up, so I'll open with what I use- Vittoria Pave. £30 each though 😥
    Mind, if they're tyres for commuting then it's probably Specialized Armadillo something or others.

Many years ago you could actually get a solid 700c tyre – mate had one in lemon. It was awful to ride, but didn't puncture. They might still be avaiable.

crispybacon
    Free Member

I use Spesh All Condition Pro tyres 26 x 1" with aramid protection on my MTB.

Not had any problems with punctures & they are v.fast.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I've been rocking Schwable Marathon Plus for the last few years without a single puncture, and that's miraculous on Surrey roads!

hora
    Free Member

The rear Botranger RaceLite Hardcase ('triple puncture protection') has suffered far worse (its ripped to the canvass-I actually put Park puncture squares over the rip with superglue!) but a nail imbedded in another part has made me see sense. The fronts (by comparison) dont have halfway near as much damage – Conti (with the little 'teardrop' shapes on them) but the sidewalls are starting to degrade.

hora
    Free Member

Will look up the above now. No punctures on Schwable Marathon Plus?! I have bi-weekly punctures at 90-100psi and thats with a 3mile each way commute and I dont ride in the gutter either!!

jim
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon's here and no punctures in over year on a glass-strewn cycle path. I'd reckon on the plus version being even more resilient.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Are Conti Gator Skins any good?

Kramer
    Free Member

I've got Conti Gator Skins, no problems so far.

scaredypants

spesh roubaix armoured thingy ones seem very robust – I've failed with gatorskin round here (tiny little flinty chippings all over the roads)

think I'll be on tubeless sooner or later (if it works)

doug_basqueMTB.com

I used to commute about 20 miles a day for a few years in Glasgow on a surface composed entirely of buckfast bottles, syringes and chibs and never got a single puncture using either Conti Sport Contacts or Travel Contacts (I think they were the ones with the protection).

boblo
    Free Member

Schwalbe Marathon XR's are the choice of the expedition touring boys. Bit pricey but they last ~12,000km so probably same whole life cost as 'ordinary' tyres.

I've had a pair on the tandem for a couple of thousand miles. No punctures and we haven't even worn off the molding flash on the rear yet!!!

Northwind

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are impervious to all harm, they do feel slightly odd to ride on- bit dead- and they're not light but they're still ace.

MoreCashThanDash

I commuted 3000 miles on a pair of 23mm Michelin Krylion carbons over the last couple of years – the rear tyre has over 40 nicks and cuts in it, only had one puncture though. I'd say that was pretty good for the glass strewn streets of Nottingham.

I'm planning on trying the 25mm version now I have a bike that will take the wider tyres.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

conti sport contact or travel contact – puncture proof guarentee

hora
    Free Member

Ok sorted. Thank you guys. Quick question, (possibly where in part I am going wrong?) I run my tyres at 90psi max. I stop the pump when I hit this figure. Should I be running them higher to help deflect sharp objects?

DrP

I've recently changed from 'can't remember the brand' detonators, to conti gator skin – gone from 'too many punctures' to no punctures overnight!

Highly reccommended.

DrP

zaskar
    Free Member
    genghispod
    Free Member

http://www.greentyre.co.uk/27inch.html

Looks as if there may be some potential here.

Suggsey
    Free Member

If its on a 700c wheel its got to be a second for Michelin Krylon Carbon in 25 guise. Just done a yeras commute followed by LeJog on a set, no punctures but rear worn out -just. So good that I bought s second set whilst I can still get hold of them and a good price too £17 each in folding.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Looks as if there may be some potential here.

Old review, but there doesn't seem to be anything new written about solid tyres so i'd avoid:
    http://bicycleuniverse.info/eqp/flatfreetires.html

crikey
    Free Member

I've put 3000 miles on one pair of race tyres this year and had one puncture.

Get a track pump, use it every time you go out, pump tyres up to 100 or 105 or 110 psi depending on your nutritional status, and most importantly, stop riding along in the gutter over all the crap.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bullet-proof road tyres advice’ is closed to new replies.