Bulk buy inner/outer gear cable

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bulk buy inner/outer gear cable
  • submarined

i need to redo the inners and outers on 2xmtbs, 1x road bike, and a dropper post. In the past I’ve bought Shimano sets but it seems like probably not the cheapest way of doing things, so which bulk buy rolls and inners do people use?

Ta!

facian

I got a 30m reel of Clarks outer cable from Chain Reaction i think it was, for just over a tenner on sale. That should see me through a few bikes!

Couldn’t find much in the way of bulk buying for inners, some places on eBay sell job lots of cable but you had to buy hundreds and it just didn’t seem worth it for the saving.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I got a reel of gear cable off Planet-x. Bulk buy some ferrules and cable ends and then I just buy gear cables when I need them.

fooman

My preference atm Shimano SP41 (10m roll) plus Jagwire Slick Stainless cables. I’ve used the Clarks outer but find SP41 lasts 2/3 times longer.

nbt

inners are a quid each from wiggle / chain reaction.

batman11

Do a search on eBay mate for inner outer and ferrets. Think I got like 30 inners 30mters of Clark’s outer and a bunch of ferrets for something like £35/40 quid all in most bikes only need about 1.5 meters so it’s a great deal.

batman11

And that was a 3 minute seach so have a good look you will likely find branded stuff to.

stevextc

I buy the Jagwire outer by the 10m… (search ebay but put in 10m)

Inners I’ve been buying the fairly cheap teflon coated ones… I usually but 5-10 at once…

The outer goes way further…. as you just cut the length you need…

anyway £3 and you get a nice new feel… especially used on kids bike as stiff cables are much worse for small hands but at that cost it’s nice to just swap it over when you’re doing other maintenance.
    <div class=”picCol”>
    <div class=”l-shad lftd i200″>
    <div class=”image-shadow”>My last 2 copy/paste from my ebay</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”item-spec-r”>
    <div class=”item-spec item-title-wrap”>
    <div class=”vip item-title”>”10 metre coil 4mm JAGWIRE L3 RED Derailleur Gear Lined Housing OUTER CABLE” (obviously colour is up to you…) cost me £9.99</div>
    <div></div>
    </div>
    </div>
    “FIBRAX BICYCLE BIKE TEFLON COATED GEAR INNER WIRE”  (8 cost me £15.10)

I bought a huge roll of outer and a 100 gear inners both of eBay. It was expensive, but its kept me in smooth shifting bikes for 7 years now 🙂

It’s not like it goes off or standards in gear cable change….

Depends how much you value being able to change stuff – right now- when it needs doing.

Murray

Now you’ve gone and done it!

Expect 3.67mm outers to be launched sometime soon with 0.911mm inners. They’ll be 99.1% efficient compared with the current abysmal 98.9%.

Bought shimano outer and maguire inner both workshop reels via Amazon.com.  Must have been 100 inners and 50m of outer.  Super cheap.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

What’s with the price of sealed Shimano end caps (SP40)? SJS do a pack of 100 for £60! Other places sell them individually for 50p each. Went with bike-discount.de in the end and spent £25 on a pack of 100 (price increased slightly since).

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Do a search on eBay mate for inner outer and ferrets

Plus a 1970s joke book, some baggy trousers and string to tie up the ankles to stop them escaping

submarined

Excellent,thanks very much people 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bulk buy inner/outer gear cable’ is closed to new replies.