Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bulb 8.2% increase, rampant inflation.
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

Scarey times ahead, we’re about to move house and I’ve got the jitters.

I think there is some double figures inflation on the horizon, sooth me with words of wisdom.

footflaps

They’ll be a blip caused by the sudden easing of lockdown, but I suspect that will reduce once demand / supply settle a bit.

colp

Think they said wholesale prices have doubled in a year?

tthew

There’s quite a lot of unexpected loss of availability of major power stations and at least one of the interconnectors at the moment which is driving prices up a bit, but it’ll soften. They may be up 50% on THIS time last year, but it’s a traded commodity so fluctuates all the time.

Edit – sorry double, but we were in lockdown and demand was low, so depressed prices.

woody71
    Free Member

Isn’t this also linked to the recent easing of the price cap?

I suspect all suppliers have “relaxed” their prices as hedges etc unwind and they take new positions at higher WSP

benpinnick

Err not very soothing I know but we’re only just starting to see ripples of the supply chain issues, costs are skyrocketing across the board for materials, shipping, finished goods…. I’m expecting inflation to rise sharply in 21/22. So much so I’m actively buying expensive things that have been on my hit list for a while as what were seeing in the bike industry seems set to spill over into other industries… Which of course only fuels the issue I know….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Forecasts I’ve seen on materials in my industry hi chrome stainless and duplex stainless are due to peak.around sept/ November then revert to normal by this time next year ….

Probably.fairly reflective of what is expect across most of.the board I’d expect

But that’s just forecasting.

Could continue to rise like a madman.

That said I’ve bought windows and solar panels for the house -while I still have a job.

molgrips
    Free Member

Should I have fixed my mortgage longer then?

funkmasterp

Electricity prices for business use have definitely gone a bit mental. I’ve been shopping around for renewable for the company I work for and the prices are going up at a scary rate. An industry contact provided me with some info and graphs and the same base quote over two months saw a penny increase per kw/h. Doesn’t sound like much until you add up consumption over a year and realise it equates to over £10k extra.

There have been increased to standing charges too due to suppliers having to swallow extra costs and subsequently passing some of these on.

tthew

I’ve been shopping around for renewable for the company I work for and the prices are going up at a scary rate.

Don’t bother. It all goes in the same distribution system as the fossil electricity. Anyone claiming to be supplying you with green power is talking horseshit unless you have a connection direct to your local wind farm or solar array. Iif you do you are screwed on those cold, calm days which are not uncommon in winter.

spooky_b329

But you are ensuring that your supplier buys an equivalent amount of green energy as you use, therefore increasing demand, increasing returns for green energy and encouraging further investment. So it doesn’t really matter if your energy comes from coal, you are still increasing demand for green and an equivalent amount of green energy enters the grid to replace your usage.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t bother. It all goes in the same distribution system as the fossil electricity. Anyone claiming to be supplying you with green power is talking horseshit unless you have a connection direct to your local wind farm or solar array.

As spooky_b329 says – it doesn’t matter where the actual electrons get their energy, what matters is that a portion of the energy being fed into the grid equivalent to what you use is renewable. Their guarantee means that the more customers the ‘green’ providers have, the more renewables are generated, so the ultimate effect is the same as if you were getting the power direct from the windmill.

tthew

Fossil generation is the backup for renewables these days which has sufficient capacity to power the whole country in low demand/high output conditions. There’s no need to encourage green energy developments, they get built anyway even with the minimal subsidies that are availabe these days.

It’s actually causing grid stability issues because the inertia of the old generating sets kept the frequency stable in a way that wind turbines can’t. To counter this some stations are actually being repurposed with huge heavy rotors to provide inertia with no energy production! The contracts for this market are pretty lucrative too.

minus
    Free Member

I have always assumed the renewable suppliers are pointless as renewable generators are paid a guaranteed price for any energy that they can generate based on government capacity auctions before they are built. So even if you built a wind farm ages ago when it was really expensive you are still guaranteed the £100/MWhr or whatever it was you signed up to even if the market price is way below that?

tthew

Not sure how renewables contracts work @minus. I suspect the guaranteed price only lasts for a few, fixed number of years and then you’re in the open market.

I do know they get paid to turn off wind turbines when there’s a glut of generation!

singletrackmind

Tesco apples were £2.20 a kilo, now £2.68 a kilo
    So plus 20%, and we are talking home grown apples here, not imported fancy smanshy apples.
    Brexit sendimg low paid Romania and Bulgar apples pickers packing and keeping British jobs for british people
    Plus fuel price risesi guess

andybrad

I’ve just spotted this. Indeed scary times potentially but I can’t see everything skyrocketing as it will just have too much of a negative impact

edward2000
    Free Member

The construction industry is seeing some inflation which I have never seen before. Our raw material costs are up 60 percent in 5 months and speaking with a lot of merchants, it’s across the board in a wide variety of materials. Brexit is the biggest driver in my opinion.

teamslug
    Free Member

In our industry a sheet of zintec steel a mild steel with a zinc costing) £28/ sheet last year. £108 now!!. Powder coating resin shortages are meaning certain colours are being pulled to ensure continued supplies of more popular colours. Consequently prices are increasing monthly. We have increased by 5% across the board and expect to do it again at the end of the year. Scary uncertain times.

airvent
    Free Member

The construction industry is seeing some inflation which I have never seen before. Our raw material costs are up 60 percent in 5 months and speaking with a lot of merchants, it’s across the board in a wide variety of materials. Brexit is the biggest driver in my opinion.

Bulk cement is going to be rationed now as steel has been, get your orders in quick. Lead times going from 4 days to two weeks.

kelvin

Get ready for the “rip off Britain” stories in the papers… there is no way to hold UK price increases at some kind of steady 2% annum rate. Even when price rises are much lower than cost increases (which I think they will have to be) it is those that sell to consumers that will get the blame, not those in charge of trade policy.

footflaps

These things always go in phases, coming out of lockdowns you’ll have a big surge to catch up and in the short term prices will rise as demand exceeds supply. That demand level is unlikely to be sustained so it will trend back to the norm and the shortages will all resolve themselves over the next year or so.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That demand level is unlikely to be sustained so it will trend back to the norm and the shortages will all resolve themselves over the next year or so.

Pretty much what the global commentators on such things are suggesting.

You do realise this is fairly global rise In commodities it’s not just centered around this little island. ..

I’ve had pricing come in on bar stock 13cr stainless this week 3* my usual prices.

Frightening really when your trying to do business and prices are climbing faster than you can quote – I’m working through Singapore and southern states USA ….. Not the UK center of the universe.

kelvin

You do realise this is fairly global rise In commodities it’s not just centered around this little island. ..

Yes. Very aware. And the rise in transportation and energy costs is pretty much worldwide as well. None of that changes the fact that our (self chosen) shift in trade policy is amplifying the rising costs to the UK, and will still be ongoing when/if international supply/demand patterns do change sometime next year.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Timber futures are aprently falling suggesting supply is due to catch up with demand

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bulb 8.2% increase, rampant inflation.’ is closed to new replies.