• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Built in Coffee Machine
  • j5kol
    Free Member

I am very interested in getting a built in coffe machine for my new kitchen however the stumbling block is how much they cost. Are they really worth the best part of £1000 and if so which is the best value for money ?

ElShalimo

£1000 is frankly ridiculous
    That would pay for hob, oven and dishwasher

assuming you have tthe money it’d be better spent on a holiday

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You could take the kids skiing, in term time of course, for that kind of money!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iolo
    Free Member

Nice replies guys.
    Op asks for something. Stw response – don’t be silly. Spend it on something else.
    You can buy a bike in halfords for £200 or £20k plus for a custom fancy whatever and someone will come with the “you could buy a car for that money “analogy. You buy what you want. Asking for advice on a purchase here is normal.
    No advice on coffee machine op but people, if you haven’t got something productive to say, don’t bother.

Smudger666

£1000 would get you a decent standalone bean-cup machine.

is there a make of machine that the kitchen guys are offering? the only one I’ve seen was a bosch and cleaning it was a bit of a faff to the point that it wasn’t cleaned as often as it should have been, with the resultant drop in quality.

If your heart is set on one, then i don’t think you’ll get much under a grand.

trail_rat
    Free Member

why build it in ? what happens in 5 years time when the company dont make parts forthat model anymore/gone bust etc and the replacement is a slightly different shape ?

i have been drawn to similar – in the end im pretty settled on buyinga standalone coffee machine and a standard kitchen unit to put it in….

lemonysam
    Free Member

Are they really worth the best part of £1000 and if so which is the best value for money ?

As a coffee machine, no – you could get a nicer machine much cheaper. As a “feature”, only you can decide.

edit: also, you know all those houses you see with terrible, out of fashion built-in 70s appliances with the kitchen built around them? You’re doing that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

how ever – if you could do green hornet style machine :d

molgrips
    Free Member

what happens in 5 years time when the company dont make parts forthat model anymore/gone bust etc and the replacement is a slightly different shape ?

Surely they are a standard size and fitting like builting in fridges, washing machines etc?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Are they a bit, erm, chav?

(just saying).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No advice on coffee machine op but people, if you haven’t got something productive to say, don’t bother.

Who died and left you in charge?.

Crooch
    Free Member

personally i love ours – it was there when we bought the house and i kept my desktop one until i knew which was better… built in one is so much more robust has built in water filters which means the pump has stayed scale free for 3 years now without issue. my one gripe with desktop machines is that no matter how much you use them they always get clogged with scale.
    grinds beans as you need them and is a lot easier to keep clean.

id struggle with a grand for a new one mind!

Smudger666

matter how much you use them they always get clogged with scale.

clearly they dont always get clogged with scale just as not every dishwasher gets scaled up – mine has done 11000 cups and never been descaled – depends where in the country you live.

like all coffee machines/equipment – cleanliness is crucial to a decent brew (amongst other things) and the built in one I saw was a real PITA to clean properly.

ElShalimo

Go to Asda, buy kettle & Mellow Birds

Use the £990 change to upgrade your bike
    😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Surely they are a standard size and fitting like builting in fridges, washing machines etc?”

your assumption is cute. even built in fridges and washing machines are not a “standard” – like bikes there are various standards.

at what point does the various standards mean that its infact not a standard but just a random size.

huckersneck
    Free Member
    MaryHinge
    Free Member

I recently fitted a new kitchen and put in a built in coffee machine from IKEA.

It’s not a plumbed in one, so you have to fill the little water tank.

It does however make excellent coffee, steamed frothy milk, espressos all that stuff.

It was £300 or thereabouts.

Can’t fault it so far.

It takes a bit longer to make a brew than instant coffee, so I don’t use it everytime, but now that I’ve got the “workflow method” sorted, it’s a nice little ritual 🙂

nickb

We had one in our house when we moved in (about 5 years ago). It’s a Siemens one, like this

Mu initial thought was ‘what a waste of a cupboard space’, but now it gets used every day and is brilliant. Not plumbed – takes a water tank that you fill from the tap, but runs auto-clean and auto-descale routines every few weeks and makes great coffee.

Nick

br
    Free Member

I recently fitted a new kitchen and put in a built in coffee machine from IKEA.

It’s not a plumbed in one, so you have to fill the little water tank.

That kinda fails for me, why not plumb it in?

But, back to the OP. I’d rather buy something standalone, price-wise that’s up to you.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you’re prepared to spend £1k, get a proper top end traditional machine & grinder and hire a barista to make the stuff for you 😀

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I put a Siemens one in the house I built nearly 8 years ago, and whilst it was a bit of an extravagance at the time, costing about £1,000, it’s still going strong, and apart from a the regular de-scaling and cleaning, which it does automatically, it’s no hassle at all. I chose Siemens, as apart from being a good brand, the oven and microwave matched, and gave some symmetry to the units (Mrs TG likes symmetry !!)

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

I hate you guys. I was happy with my coffee machine but now I want one of these built in ones!

You’re all dicks.

khani
    Free Member

Go to Asda, buy kettle & Mellow Birds

andyl
    Free Member

That kinda fails for me, why not plumb it in?

But, back to the OP. I’d rather buy something standalone, price-wise that’s up to you.

I guess they make a plumbed in one for people who can/want to run a pipe and a non-plumbed in one for people can’t/don’t want to run a pipe. Not a huge hassle to pull out a water container and fill it if it’s designed well. Jura at work was a pain in the backside as it was a lift out the top. My DeLonghi is much better as it just slides out the front. I do have to fill it every other day though and it’s 1.8L 😳

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Built in Coffee Machine’ is closed to new replies.