Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Building work, on boxing day?
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

Hi,

The old guy next door is building an extension, he’s doing the majority of the work himself with his mate. Work takes place sporadically and progress is slow completion date somewhere around 2025 at this rate.

Got no problem with him doing it, it’s his land and he’s perfectly entitled to do so(even if we will lose some sunlight from the garden).

He’s been at it with the hammer action drill for the last hour, is it fair play or a bit weird and inconsiderate ? Half of me just wants him to crack on and get it done, the other thinks boxing day..

Not ready with the pitch forks or anything, I can happily talk to the guy i’m just looking for some opinion(always plenty of that on STW)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Pink Floyd “Another brick in the wall” with volume turned up to 11 should do the trick. 😈

badnewz
    Free Member

I had an extension near me done by an old boy and his mates, it took ages and they would only work on holidays, weekends, ie when they werent at their normal jobs, which made it hard to relax at home.
    I find it anti-social and told them they should just get a professional builder to do it, which they had to do in the end to correct all their bodge jobs.
    I think it is out of order to make lots of noise over the xmas period in general.

scotroutes

I’m not seeing the problem with it. It’s Tuesday. There have already been 3 weekend/holidays in a row. As above, it may be that it’s simply convenient in terms of fitting round other work and commitments. What were you doing today that this is putting in jeopardy?

pk13

common in the building trade. and people are working all over today welcome to the modern world

trail_rat
    Free Member

im sure his wifes already bending his ear to get it done.

im sure he doesnt need a nosey concerned neighbour trying to tell him what he can and cant do on a tuesday.

i once(with a sparky mate) rewired my house in the week between xmas and new year – i was just sure that i waited till gone 10 before i made any noise chasing out cables.

Equally i have no issue when my neighbour makes noise doing what ever DIY they get up to.

If it was everynight for 5 years i might get uppety but it sounds like you get quite the reprieve between building sessions due to their laxness.

scotroutes

Maybe he’s not even a Christian.

rene59
    Free Member

Pretty ignorant IMO and bizarrely I was out at my own neighbour earlier who decided it was a good day to start going at his drive with a concrete breaker. He stopped and will start at it tomorrow instead. Christmass day, Boxing day and New Years day isn’t much to ask for a bit of peace and quiet.

wilburt
    Free Member

This caused a big dispute with me an a neighbour, he’s serial DIYer.

I think he’s not very keen on his family(two screaming kids and a nervous wife) and gets away from it with DIY mostly the sort that includes power tools, specifically a bench saw situated as near as possible to my property.

After two years of it day and night all weekends I would quite happily have nuked his whole family.

Worse than a crack den tbh and should be illegal.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah the joys of stacked living.

dumbbot
    Free Member

He’s a retired old chap and has no missus, so he only has himself to please. Nothing is in jeopardy but we have family/guests coming round this afternoon for dinner and well its not ideal,.

Would’ve been much better for us if he’d have got the professionals in and have it over and done with in a few weeks,…

trail_rat
    Free Member

well tell him you have guests and youd appreciate if he kept the noise down this afternoon.

its likely he doesnt know you have guests ….

Maybe he thought youd be out shopping like the rest of the uk apparently is if you believe the news.

scotroutes

Maybe has nothing better to do with himself – retired/widowed. Invite him round to yours?

trail_rat
    Free Member

my other neighbours hellish inconsiderate….

night and day that diesel engine comes and goes- the gate goes CLANG …..

as he feeds his animals…..

but then he is a farmer 😀

could be worse , he could be a practicing bag piper !

Drac

Poor guy there on his own his neighbours don’t him invite for a drink, I guess he had to fill his days in.

hitman
    Free Member

Invite him around to yours – after all, it’s one of only a few days per year when you have to be sociable with the neighbours.

Houns

What scotroutes says. It’s just another day,if I had any DIY to do then I’d be at it

dumbbot
    Free Member

Tomorrow and i wouldn’t have batted an eyelid, me personally I wouldn’t.

And no there will be not be inviting anyone round for drinks.

badnewz
    Free Member

There’s a difference between DIY and building an extension. It’s a bank holiday and many people do entertain so it is anti-social to be making a lot of noise.

hammyuk
    Free Member

It’s tueseday.
    It’s between 7am and 11pm
    He can do whatever he likes.
    WGAF if it’s Boxing Day or any other pseudo religious excuse for commercial excess.
    You can politely ask him to perhaps have a bite to eat while you and your guests do but he does not have to and sorry princess but that’s your tough shit I’d he doesn’t and wants to crack on while there’s daylight.
    Not everyone gets to sit around having time off and getting pissed.

pk13

what about summer festivals then.
    anti social it ain’t

badnewz
    Free Member

It’s tueseday.
    It’s between 7am and 11pm
    He can do whatever he likes.

It’s a bank holiday.
    Many councils ban building work on bank holidays.
    So it depends where you live. In many places of the UK he cannot do what he likes, Princess:)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Many councils ban building work on bank holidays.

On building sites yes. This is someone’s garden.

andyrm
    Free Member

As much as it might be a slight inconvenience to you as you perceive it to be too noisy, this could be the thing that’s keeping the old boy going if he’s alone at Christmas. Better to be outside building shit than festering in sadness alone in front the TV.

Pop out, ask him cheerfully “you on your own today mate?”, invite him in for a few cans and some food, job done. No perceived disturbance, old boy has a nice afternoon and some company, good deed done.

And yes, we did something similar for an old fella a few doors down the other year. You could see how much it meant to him, even if as a chap of a certain age, he didn’t pour his heart out to say so.

pk13

I belive that’s only for construction company’s on huge sites not a bloke at home and even it is no one will enforce it unless it’s a repeated offence and the complaints are documented over a given period of time. I work for a national company that carries out building work of a non emergency type only days off are Christmas day and new years day.

when my next door neighbor fires up his old bike that’s soooo loud it’s almost illegal I will go and say hi am sniff the smell of 2 stroke and chat over a cuppa. when I fire up the grinder or welder he won’t say a thing.

badnewz
    Free Member

On building sites yes. This is someone’s garden.

If the extension he is building required planning permission, then the same rules apply. Doesn’t matter if it is on someone’s private property.

It depends on the local councils rules as to whether it is illegal to make building noise on a bank holiday; where I am it is and no-one undertakes work on a bank holiday around here, it’s just understood as a big no no.

rugbydick

dumbbot – Member

Glad to see the Christmas spirit is alive and well, you miserable so-and-so!

bamboo
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    ah the joys of stacked living.

Probably better than your cockroach infested digs in Africa though

trail_rat
    Free Member

Probably better than your cockroach infested digs in Africa though

Paid to be here I don’t pay to live here 😉

bamboo
    Free Member

I think you are probably capable of realising that my point was perhaps you shouldn’t be so condescending of other people’s existence, and not aimed at your willingness to chase money

singletrackmind

Given the current oil price per barrel , and the state of employment throught the entire oil and gas industry I dont think T-R has alot of choice in the matter
    Mans gotta eat

mindmap3
    Free Member

I work for a national company that carries out building work of a non emergency type only days off a

All of the contractors we work with shut down for two weeks over Crimbo.

It’s s bit off doing it on Boxing Day. I live next door to an old git who has a nack if deciding to have a bonfire when you have a BBQ.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Got no problem with him doing it

Doesn’t sound like it. 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

* sound effect *

That was the noise being made by the tiny bit of sympathy I had for your “problem” rapidly exiting the building.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Do you live in some sort of Disney cartoon, do you seriously smell what you are shoveling? This time of year is hard enough without pretending to be Mary **** Poppins.

When my guests arrived I asked if he would wind it up and it wasn’t a problem, i’m on perfectly civil terms with the old boy that doesn’t mean I want run a local drop in center for the elderly.

toemul
    Free Member

Was gonna give an opinion but looks like you weren’t really after one.. just a question though did you makes some sort of “winding”down hand signal when you spoke to him.

toemul
    Free Member

Was gonna give an opinion but looks like you weren’t really after one.. just a question though did you makes some sort of “winding”down hand signal when you spoke to him.

toemul
    Free Member

Wup wup double post.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who cares really, let him get on with it. My neighbours managed to get their fence taken down including getting the posts cut with an angle grinder at 7:30am on a week day then later on did the windows and major garden works all starting about 7:30 am. I wasn’t working and had the day off so ruined my quiet day, housemate was working till 1am so not much fun for him either.

Callin 1 or 2 days of the year special is pointless, just live with it sooner he is done sooner the noise stops.

martinhutch

Have you considered dumping your car at the end of his drive to stop him getting more materials delivered? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Building work, on boxing day?’ is closed to new replies.