Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Building experts, does this look safe to you?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Lifting a big roof truss horizontally, over my shop – it bounces quite a bit too.

ads678

Be reet, that.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

No. Anything other than perfectly smooth lifting and that’ll be off.

scotroutes

As long as it doesn’t fall it’ll be perfectly safe

bencooper
    Free Member

They’re driving along with the things held horizontally, then trying to lift them.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Is it windy up there?

Duffer
    Free Member

Personally, i’d have skewered the forks through the assembly. And i only lift loads over objects i wouldn’t mind dropping loads on.

pictonroad

moronic, I’d have a word, they should have a crane to lift them. Cost cutting.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pfft I’d get them all on and do it in a oner.

wwaswas

I’d get them all on and do it in a oner.

that was my first thought – why not just put it through the apex of the truss and do all 6 at once. Can’t be any worse…

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it not time to park some of your very long bikes out the back ?

bencooper
    Free Member

I presume because they can’t drive along with the things held high enough. Middle of an empty site, fine to bugger about – over my shop not so much.

perchypanther
    Free Member

That’s what we in the trade would refer to as “a wee bit naughty”.

Is the truss secured to the forks of the telehandler?

The truss’ll be relatively light though and as long as the telehandler has sufficient reach to clear it over the protruding scaffold upright and allow it to be unloaded at high level, nobody’ll die. Probably.

Internal standards in construction companies vary wildly. I’ve worked in places where that picture would get the site manager and everyone else involved sacked on the spot.
    I’ve also worked for companies where the same photo would be greeted with bemused cries of “What?”

HSE would take a dim view I suspect.

The safest way would be to build the entire roof structure on the ground and crane it on in one go. The really dangerous bit is for the guys who’re clambering about up there trying to assemble the trusses and board the roof.

bencooper
    Free Member

No. It’s resting on the bottom of the truss, and a board they’ve temporarily rested it on because the prongs aren’t long enough to reach the top of the truss.

They don’t know how much they weigh, but it took 5 guys to lift one.

perchypanther
    Free Member

No.

In that case….Run.

Run for your life.

Big Bit naughty. Speak to the Site Agent. Tell him you don’t want to involve the HSE but also don’t want your skull / shop / car / baby robin / childs face / bicycle / etc. stoved in either.

bencooper
    Free Member

I told them to stop being so daft, and they’re now lifting them vertically which is an improvement.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the truss isn’t designed to support loads like that.

yes, i know it’s only self-weight, but still, i wouldn’t be surprised if you could break that truss lifting it like that.

bencooper
    Free Member

That was my point – “they don’t weigh much” “so why did it take five of your lads to lift one?”

100mphplus
    Free Member

Get on the phone to the company and ask to speak to their safety manager stating that they are carryout unsafe lifting practices contrary to LOLER that are endangering passers by and your property. Mention that you have posted photos on-line and will phone the HSE if they do not stop, http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/contact.htm 😉

The-Beard

Not only is it the wrong side of the safe they could also damage the trusses lifting them like that. Tight sods are just trying to avoid getting a crane in. I’d ask them to stop.

EDIT Beaten by ahwhiles, buggerit.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“they don’t weigh much”

It’s all relative though innit? Compared to the pallets of bricks that the telehandler is rated to carry to the extent of it’s reach that truss is like lifting a feather.

perchypanther
    Free Member

@bencooper – is it CCG?

bencooper
    Free Member

Not sure, what’s CCG?

perchypanther
    Free Member

The contractor ? – they use that colour of portacabin.

bencooper
    Free Member
    perchypanther
    Free Member

Don’t know anyone there. Might have had a quiet word otherwise.

bencooper
    Free Member

Cheers – I’ve emailed them anyway.

hopkinsgm

When you can download Approved Codes of Practice for free from the HSE, there really is no excuse for this kind of thing. Link to a free download of Safe Use of Lifting Equipment below:
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l113.pdf

natrix
    Free Member

I’m no expert on scaffolding, but that doesn’t have any diagonal bracing…………….

wrightyson
    Free Member

Quick stage scaffold. Its the best 😉
    As for the trusses we offload them through the truss either side of the ridge which is perfectly acceptable. They probably weigh 30/40 kg at the most.
    As for safety, yup theyre penny pinching. Room to get a decent hiab in there if they didnt want to crane.

bencooper
    Free Member

They probably weigh 30/40 kg at the most.

Not these ones – the pic probably doesn’t show scale well, they’re at least 30ft long.

Pigface
    Free Member

How about when the Telehandler topples forward 😆 the alarm will be beeping like a good one.

scotroutes

Are they done yet?

wrightyson
    Free Member

10m, relatively shallow pitch so rafter isn’t that long. Youd be surprised at how little they weigh. Should be a ticket on each one. Go have a peek.

wrightyson
    Free Member

That’s at least a 13m tele it can piss that lift. However id lift probably 5 at once and have the legs down. Countless hours driving one and actually ticketed unlike some of the stuff I drive 😳

fourbanger
    Free Member

The point is they are lifting over his shop. Suspended load and all that…

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s not the telelifter I was bothered about, it was the truss snapping in half and dropping through my roof. It was bending down several feet at either end.

But they’re now promising to do the rest properly tomorrow.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Drove up past your shop today, looked like they only had 2 trusses up on the roof! Probably waiting until your not around so they can continue with the tele-handler method.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Their insurance should cover any damage/loss of life. 8)

jag61

Their insurance should cover any damage/loss of life.

possibly if lift was fully planned with all paperwork in place, it doesnt look likely that has happened RUN… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Building experts, does this look safe to you?’ is closed to new replies.