Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Building An Alfine Wheel
  • giantjason
    Free Member

Bought an alfine hub and 819 rims and need to work out the spoke dimensions in order to build the wheel.

I cant find any info on the alfine hub to get dims.

Has anyone done this before and if so what length of spoke is required?

it is the first wheel i will have built so is there anything specific or cruicial i need to know? I have read Sheldon Brown on wheel building, previous posts on here and will also be investing in the WheelPro book.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Wheelpro book goes into some detail on how to properly measure your hubs.
    Once you’ve done this, bang the numbers into the DT Swiss spoke calculator and bingo!

I did my forst wheelbuild by measuring both hubs and the spoke lengths came out spot on.
    🙂

Sam

I can’t remember the hub dims off the top of my head but you can measure it easily enough. Spoke lengths will depend on what size and type of rims you are using.

Stoner
    Free Member

* Non-Drive Side Center to Flange: 31.8 mm
    * Drive Side Center to Flange: 25.5 mm
    * Non-Drive Side Flange Diameter: 104.3 mm
    * Drive Side Flange Diameter: 104.3 mm
    http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Spoke_Length_Notes#Shimano_Alfine_SG-S501

giantjason
    Free Member

i have put the above numbers into the wheelpro spoke calculator and it says for a 3x pattern i require 264.4 on left side and 263.8 on right side.

when i get spokes am i ok to say 264 or do they need to be more accurate than that?

i also assume that the 3x is the pattern i need to build it to?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

That flange diameter is incorrect, it is 92.6 or 96.2. I forget which 😕

pypdjl
    Free Member

264’s will be way too long, I’d check your calculation. Rounding up/down by <1mm should be ok.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Its 92.6, just checked.

MTBR

Stoner
    Free Member

That flange diameter is incorrect, it is 92.6 or 96.2. I forget which

In which case Id recommend measuring the hub (which you should probably do anyway)

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

You also nned to measure your rim. Dont go on what the ERD on the rim says as thats not what you need to size your spokes up. The wheelpro web page tells you how to measure them with 2 cut down spokes which gives a spot on ERD for your spoke length. I was amazed how much better my wheels I built are, compared to ones I have paid good money for to have built in the past. I guess it because I spent about 2 full evenings building and truing compared to 45 mins in the LBS. Make sure you get the hub size correct though! Nothing worse than getting to the build and having spokes the wrong length (as I did!) Mine was because I used the manufactures ERD Size

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

264mm sounds too long to me. I’ve just built a rear on a Hope XC hub with a Sun SOS rim and that used 260mm spokes. I’m sure the alfine will be fatter than my Hope and I cant see the rim making too much difference…..

??
    🙂

Del

i built on a 719 and mine were 255 IIRC. alternatively to the suggestions above you can use spocalc – this also gives a description on how to measure your hubs and rims. if you don’t have excel then get openoffice to use the spreadsheet ( this is free to download ).

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I built on onto a Salsa Delgado rim (18mm inside edge to outside) three cross using 257mm spokes.
    Note that the Alfine chain line is something stupid like 42mm which stops you using a big enough chain ring at the front to give sensible road gearing. The way roung this is to flip the dished sprocket over and bin one of the plastic chain guides. Nexus sprockets also fit and are available in a greater variety of sizes for not much money.

giantjason
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the new Alfine SG -S501 has any crucial updates over the older Afline SG-S500 model?

Just realised i have ordered the older model and want to know if there is any issues with this? Has the new one been upgraded?

Saccades
    Free Member

I had my alfine built onto a 819, used 250mm and 252mm which are a smidge too long for the bog standard lace pattern.

The bike shop wallah was a right grumpy git when I told him that if he didn’t give me the right spoke lengths that I would not be buying the rims and spokes from him, ended up with another member of staff doing the calculation.

Wheel is still solid 5 months later.

Rorschach
    Free Member

And you seem strangely proud of acting like a knob?

Saccades
    Free Member

If I’m going into the shop to spend about 150 on parts I expect to get the right stuff, I had the hub with me, he just didn’t want to know once he couldn’t use the on-line spoke calculator to give him a quick answer.

He got arsey giving me some guff about it being impossible to have all the rim/hub combinations (despite admitting that there is a calculation to do it), so I explained that I wasn’t going to buy any of the stuff if it wasn’t right – it’s a 70minute drive to the bike shop, over a 2 hours round trip. So I’m not going to piss about with the wrong spoke lengths and have to go back and forth.

Saccades
    Free Member

oh and should explain I wasn’t at 100% when writing the first post, beer is bad m’kay..

giantjason
    Free Member

after using several spoke calculators i have worked out that 254mm spokes are required.

hopefully everything will fit together!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Building An Alfine Wheel’ is closed to new replies.