Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Building advice required – Large garden step content.
  • Harry_the_Spider

I have a garden of many levels and need to put down a “landing” step at the junction of 4 paths. Side one is a step down from an existing patio, side two will be a step down from a lawn with a brick retainer, side 3 is level with the lawn and side 4 will have a step down from it down to a slate path with a brick retainer. The step itself measures 1550 x 1300 mm and will be covered with Blue Diamond Pavers.

The area is level compacted soil, but it has been prone to sinking in the past due to tunnelling from rodents and everybody stepping off the patio on to the same small patch.

What substrate do I need under the pavers? I was thinking of using paving slabs with a dry mx on top with the pavers set into it, but I’m open to suggestions from people who actually know what they are doing.

Budget and access are an issue, but I don’t want it to sink or crack.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Type 1 compacted with a whacker plate. 100 – 150 mmm thick.

Blinding layer of sand on top before you lay your paviours.

This is quite good for the uninitiated

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

bearnecessities

If you’re swinging past J27 at any time you’re welcome to some ready-bagged Type1 MOT that I’ve got left over; should be enough to do your job.

redmex
    Free Member

Trying to use a plate on a small area you are liable to do damage to surrounding and probably yourself getting it there, just up and down lots on it good for the cardio

redmex
    Free Member

Add jump to the above

Harry_the_Spider

Getting a wacker down to it will be an issue. There are a lot of steps and it is a good 50m to the car.

I’m concerned about the rats/moles/whatevers undermining it on one corner (which is nice), so I’ll trample in some ballast, drop paving slabs on it then block pave on to dry mix over them.

I guess I’m going to have to dig it all a bit deeper this evening. No MNPR for me!

Thanks for the offer BN, but I’ll get the ballast locally, I already have some anyway.

tthew

If you can’t practically whacker it, I’d use a tamper to get it nice and compacted. If you’re going to do 100-150mm as Perchy suggested, you could probably get away with one layer. Fairly cheap tamper.

Harry_the_Spider

Big boots and 2 kids. Will jump up and down on it.

Going for 50mm ballast + slabs + 25mm dry mix + blocks.

spooky_b329

Dig out the topsoil, fill with ballast and a punner (aka tamper) then sand. Not sure why you want to use a slab underneath, might actually make it worse by allowing the sand to become waterlogged.

spooky_b329

P.S You said you don’t want it to sink. Jumping up and down will not be as effective as tamping it down with the correct tool.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Building advice required – Large garden step content.’ is closed to new replies.