Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Building a website: WordPress, Bootstrap, or…?
  • Kit
    Free Member

Looking to build a website next year. I’ve had a play about with Bootstrap in a basic HTML editor and can pretty quickly build something nice. Is there any advantage to installing WordPress (I should probably just give it a shot), or any other recommended routes?

I will probably be time rich, but energy/can-be-arsed poor so prefer something relatively straightforward!

Oh, and will need functionality to take online payments, but presumably that’s simple enough!

Cheers

mrsfry
    Free Member

Have you tried ‘WIX’ you can do online payments,easy to create and use.
    Either create your own templates or use the free ones.

Kit
    Free Member

Never heard of WIX, will have a look, thanks.

allthegear
    Free Member

Shopify

Rachel

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Wix is really good, used it for a few friends sites. If you wanted something a bit more polished then squarespace.com is very pretty but a bit more expensive.

oxym0r0n

Going to give squarespace a go over the next few weeks – I’ll let you know how i get on…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To quote a mate real men use notepad and don’t have an undo button….

WordPress was really easy

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Just built a site in WordPress for a charity so they can update their news section as they see fit. First time I’ve used it, and while it’s easy to use and there is a plugin for every mood, I find it heavy and slow and a ball ache to use.

You can build half the stuff yourself in no time at all.

I like Bootstrap, more-so for its layout grid so I end up using just that part

allthegear
    Free Member

I’m interested by the comparison of Bootstrap and WordPress as they do entirely different and unrelated jobs; one is a page layout framework and the other a content management system. Indeed, it’s perfectly possible (and quite common) to use one inside the other. To compare them is like comparing apples and fairy lights.

(Yeah, I need to buy some new fairy lights – they are on my mind)

If you need to take payments, do yourself a favour and use something that already handles all the transactional side of that for you, unless you are prepared to put in a lot of work. Shopify, squarespace etc

Rachel

Cowman

Bootstrap everytime. Really enjoyable to learn with, lots of fun and nice end results.

My Website in Bootstrap

Enjoyed making this and shared it a few weeks ago, looking at doing the changes while adding more routes to it.

Kit
    Free Member

Thanks Rachel, I’ll check them out too. I only picked Bootstrap and WordPress as they’re the only two I’m familiar with (as in, I have a WordPress.com blog and I’ve built a simple website with Bootstrap).

prezet
    Free Member

Bootstrap and WordPress are two different things. One is a content management system, the other is a collection of UI components.

WordPress is good for beginners – but many experienced developers shun it because of the quality of the code.

Bootstrap is great for quickly scaffolding UI’s but most sites that use it end up looking ‘samey’.

engadven
    Free Member

Yes bootstrap is a nice system of flexible templates that allow pages to change size depending on the device being used to view them. It’s very popular these days and well worth using.
    Wordpress is a content management system that makes it easy to add lots of content even if you have few coding skills. WordPress can be customised to use bootstrap themes but I’m not sure how easy it is and there are many other CMSs that do it without customising. is one free and easy to use PC based website builder that will populate bootstrap templates without coding.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Building a website: WordPress, Bootstrap, or…?’ is closed to new replies.