Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Building a portable speaker
  • whippersnapper
    Free Member

I came across an old 10″ speaker driver in my grandad’s shed which he was rather keen on me having. Rather than chucking it in the back of a cupboard here I thought I could build a speaker for an mp3 player or computer. I started reading the audio forums and now what I thought should be a simple thing to do turns out isn’t, not for me anyway.

I thought I would ask the fountain of all knowledge here as the audio forums have left me rather puzzled with all their bridged, series, parallel, channel, impedance chat. As you can tell I am new to this. I hope someone can put this in nice an easy to understand terminology for me….and whether the project is a goer or not.

To run the speaker I gather I need an amp. Little ones can be had off ebay (Lepai etc) which looked ideal as I could build it into the speaker unit too. However, the amps are stereo and I have one speaker so even using the left/right balance I could still lose half the input. You can get stereo to mono adapters which I could plug in behing the amp as it has a 3.5mm jack in, would this help? Or is it bad for the amp to have just a single speaker output?

Any thoughts greatly apprciated. Is this a goer or more hassle than it is worth? Thanks in advance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Quite possibly more hassle than it’s worth IMO. You’ll need a psu also.

An old driver from a shed…is it going to sound any good?

BigJohn

Start off by getting a bit of cheap cable and connecting it to the aux speaker output on a TV or stereo and listening to how (or if) it sounds.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whippersnapper
    Free Member

it doesn’t sound too bad, higher pitched than my decent speakers but I am guessing that is because the old one doesn’t have any housing yet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Building a portable speaker’ is closed to new replies.