Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Building a PC from second hand parts (Zwift)
  • nathb
    Free Member

Sorry Ewan!!

What graphics card did you go for?

Ewan
    Free Member

1050 non ti version for 115 quid – MSI version. Should be fine with the power supply according to the ‘internet’.

nathb
    Free Member

Very nice!

I think this pc will come with a 240w PSU so weighing up expensive LP GPU or new case+psu and big cheap gpu 😆

(Also depends if all connectors on mobo are standard!!)

nathb
    Free Member

Too late!

Wasn’t expecting it to be this small!!

Walking back from a meeting in town today I came across a “CEX” store so picked up a 4gb stock of ram for £12 too 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

I don’t think the 4K Apple TV will be a patch on a PC that meets the spec for Ultra. You get loads of stuff unlocked (like lights at night for example) that doesn’t run otherwise.

Zwift ‘knows’ what spec you have and doesn’t even let you see the ultra setting unless you meet it so curious to see the hack for that 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member

crosshair – Member
    I don’t think the 4K Apple TV will be a patch on a PC that meets the spec for Ultra. You get loads of stuff unlocked (like lights at night for example) that doesn’t run otherwise.

Zwift ‘knows’ what spec you have and doesn’t even let you see the ultra setting unless you meet it so curious to see the hack for that

I know that, I wasn’t attempting to better the PC Master Race 🙂

I was just throwing an idea into the mix. Actually, its the idea I’ll be going for. Having seen it in action, the ATV4’s Zwift output is good enough for me. The PC is going back upstairs.

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah, my laptop screen has broken so I was contemplating Apple TV as a cleaner solution but I need a computer for uploading stuff from my Garmin 800 so proabably need to fix/replace/upgrade my PC anyway…

nathb
    Free Member

Ooo
    No gpu installed (not tested FPS etc yet):

crosshair
    Free Member

The suspense 😀

nathb
    Free Member

Haha.

Answer is 25-40 FPS on High settings, I followed a group around for 5 mins or so but I can’t find the screenshots.

But this is how zwift looks, and believe it or not it looks SOO much better than the iPad version!!

On the hunt for a super cheap SSD then I’ll look at getting a GPU (potentially a new case/psu) in the new year. Happy days!

steveno

A few questions as a zwift newbie and android user, if I was to get an apple tv what else do I need to use it with my non smart trainer and road bike that has garmin speed and cadence sensors?

Ewan
    Free Member

Right – I also bought one of the HP G1 600 SFF PCs (not as much of a bargain as Nathan’s, but i’m impatient!)….

Just finished building it and ran zwift (only on view mode but got it join a group ride and follow it – will install next to the trainer tomorrow).

Results are below for running it in 1440 ultra. Pretty pleased for how little it cost.

Ewan
    Free Member

A few questions as a zwift newbie and android user, if I was to get an apple tv what else do I need to use it with my non smart trainer and road bike that has garmin speed and cadence sensors?

Your issue will be that apple tv can only do bluetooth and your garmin stuff will be ant+. There are gizmos that can convert (they sit there and capture all the ant+ signals and then rebroadcast blue tooth) between the two – you’d need to get one of those, or a bluetooth smart speed and cadence sensor.

I think i’m right in saying that you’ll be limited to ‘zwift power’ – so not as accurate as a powermeter (you get a z next to your name). If your trainer is one of the supported ones i think zwift will have a semi accurate power profile for it.

Ewan
    Free Member

Aforementioned bluetooth from ant+ bridges.

https://thesufferfest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002522826-ANT-to-Bluetooth-Bridges

Personally i’d just buy a new set of sensors, it’d probably be cheaper.

crosshair
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/zaPsZVFAzH0[/video]

A good overview from the main man 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Building a PC from second hand parts (Zwift)’ is closed to new replies.