Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Building a Pain Cave- HELP
  • mrsbjt2019
    Free Member

Right, my husband is wanting to create a brand new pain cave in the garage for our turbo trainer. The garage needs some real TLC- we had a leak in the roof over December and so the floor got water damaged. If we’re putting the turbo trainer in the garage, which one of these is best? Laminate, vinyl or engineered wood with underfloor heating? What’ve you guys used? Would this one be any good?

Any advice is really appreciated guys.

Turbo trainer, cross trainer and a flatscreen. I can’t wait!!!!

hooli

I am sorry, I don’t mean to sound like a dick but it is not a pain cave. It’s your garage that you ride several hundred pounds worth of equipment in because it is too cold and dark to go outside.

To answer the question, interlocking rubber floor mats or carpet tiles are as good as anything.

Drac

Run Mrs Browns’s Boys and Miranda on repeat for that extra pain level.

johnnystorm

Last thing I’ve ever needed when on the turbo is under floor heating so you can scratch that surely?! 😉

Poopscoop

Must admit that unless you want the heating to generally help with damp or if the garage is going to be used for low intensity stuff, id forgo the heating?

No right or wrong to that though, you might use the heating rarely but could be nice to know it’s there if you sort bikes out in the garage during the Winter etc?

timbog160

I have my turbo, treadmill and multi gym in a stone flagged cellar and I don’t need any heating for workouts, though I do just have a cheap fan heater for working on the bikes..

Bear in mind you don’t want your equipment moving around so laminate might not be the best, even if you use mats…

It’s great to have a good quality place to exercise – enjoy!

joebristol

I don’t think you need underfloor heating and I wouldn’t be putting engineered wood out there either.

Laminate will be the cheapest option, but vinyl type flooring will be better to clean / will hold up better to he tying covered in sweat I’d have thought.

I’ve semi converted half of our double garage for a gym (no turbo /
    Bike in it admittedly) it has the cheapest of cheap laminates on it over thin foam underlay and a damp proof membrane onto the concrete floor underneath. We have a treadmill and cross trainer on mats over the top of that and it works quite well. I then have a section of proper inch thick rubber gym matting for weight training on.

Your bigger issue is going to be ventilation / staying cool (rather then getting cold) – you’re going to need a really good fan for airflow.

Poopscoop

Oh, welcome to the form by the way op!

Worth checking out the Zwift thread on the other forum too as it shows some setups including my messy set up.Lol

Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.

mcnultycop

I’ve got thick rubber stable (as in horse stable) matting in my garage, around my squat cage. Grippy and comfy underfoot.

kennyp
    Free Member

I am sorry, I don’t mean to sound like a dick but it is not a pain cave. It’s your garage that you ride several hundred pounds worth of equipment in because it is too cold and dark to go outside.

Do you understand the concept of a lighthearted remark?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Do you understand the concept of a lighthearted remark?

+1.

PAINCAVE. PAINCAVE. PAINCAVE. PAINCAVE. PAINCAVE…..etc etc etc….😉

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Is the existing floor fairly level and stable? What do you mean by water damage? Is it just staining or is it not level and/or crumbling?

Similar to Timbog, i’m in a concrete flagged cellar and the amount of sweat and dribble that’s gone down on that floor, I’m glad it’s nothing fancier and can just seep away until I decide to wash it down one day….

Fan/air flow is a big thing, but you’ll never stop the amount of sweat from stationary cycling

mjsmke

A dehumidifier could be a good idea if there’s a potential damp issue.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The pain cave is in your head so you can have whatever you can imagine.

Oh, and you need a Peleton for the experience obvs.

BadlyWiredDog

Laminate, vinyl or engineered wood with underfloor heating? What’ve you guys used? Would this one be any good?

We’ve got an outbuilding with a concrete floor with wood-look vinyl flooring fitted, quite a springy one, works well. No worries about pools of sweat etc, easy to clean, stick a trainer mat under the turbo to reduce noise further.

You don’t need underfloor heating with a turbo ime, but if you want to use it as a gym as well, I’d have some sort of heater in there. You might even think about a dehumidifer to minimise condensation. As above, a big fan is a very good idea, preferably several of the things.

I’d also look at a rocker plate for the turbo, it makes it feel a lot more natural, reduces saddle soreness and reduces the load on carbon chainstays/seatstays.

belugabob
    Free Member

Did somebody mention Peleton?

(Not suitable for work)

cookeaa

I’d suggest either vinyl roll or better yet foam tiles, there’s a few interlocking tile type systems about intended for workshop/utility/exercise areas. Depending on the turbo or other kit you’ve got in there hard surfaces could cause an issue with noise and vibration…

A softer flooring material can absorb a bit of the noise and vibration and tiles are handy if there’s a risk of damaging and needing to replace bits and/or makes it easier should you need to take it back up in the future.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Building a Pain Cave- HELP’ is closed to new replies.