Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Building a bike for the first time (Production Privee content)
  • ossify

Having had a Production Privée Shan GT frame sitting in the loft for a year or two, I am finally able to start building it up!
    Insanely excited 🙂

As this is my first time building a bike, plus it’s a very different shape to my previous bike so the fit will be different, this thread will be the home of all my noob questions 😉

Intended spec:
    Bought! En route from Germany:
    SLX M7100 1×12 drivetrain
    XT M800 PF bottom bracket
    XT M8120 wheels
    Magura MT Trail Sport brakes 180mm rotors

Not yet bought but probably settled:
    Fork probably RS Revelation 130mm
    Bars/stem Production Privée

Still TBC:
    Saddle maybe Fabric Scoop
    Grips
    Dropper (Brand-X or CrankBros Highline 3? Will probably be the last thing to buy as I don’t know what length fits)
    Pedals probably something plastic
    Invisiframe? Would be nice but out of budget really.
    Tyres
    Whatever else I’ve missed out

First question: What bar rise? I have a choice of 0.5″ and 1″. Have read up on rise a bit but still unsure!

Any and all advice/comments welcome

nwmlarge
    Free Member

If you go invisiframe, do it now not later, should be fitted pre assembly.

I like a 1″ rise but its quite subjective, can you draw comparisons with an existing bike to understand the bar height once you have added tyres, fork and headset stack height into consideration?

zerocool

Invisiframe is worth the money.

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Just a note to remember that when you cut the steerer down on the fork, leave it a little longer than you think you actually need, using extra spacers, that way you can ride it for a bit and have some extra length to play with.

I have just built up a Stanton frame and used 5 spacers on the steerer tube – looking to cut down a bit once i have settled on the height i want to keep it at.

alan1977
    Free Member

just something to check, XT wheels, they are centrelock? might come with adaptors?

ossify

If you go invisiframe, do it now not later, should be fitted pre assembly.

I know… I’m on the fence.

Leaning towards the 1″ rise. Haven’t got anything to compare it to (my old bike was 0.5″ rise but very different overall, I don’t have it any more anyway).

Just a note to remember that when you cut the steerer down on the fork, leave it a little longer than you think you actually need, using extra spacers, that way you can ride it for a bit and have some extra length to play with.

That’s what I was thinking, cutting the steerer is probably the scariest prospect of the build!

just something to check, XT wheels, they are centrelock? might come with adaptors?

They are, I bought centrelock discs.

joebristol

In the invisiframe front it is expensive.

As a much cheaper alternative you could get some 3M helicopter tape – it’s just a roll of clear plastic tape you have to cut yourself. I’ve gone that route on my bike – don’t the top of the top tube / underneath of the downtube / seat tube front (the water bottle touches it as it’s tight in my frame) and then the seat stays to stop any heel run etc. Got a chainstay protector on the chainstay. Should keep the worst of the chips / scrapes at bay and cost me £12.

1” / 25mm is the height of bars I’ve always gone for – I like quite a bit of back sweep / upsweep but it’s personal preference. Maybe look at what you’ve had on other bikes and go that route.

Otherwise – enjoy!

ossify

Almost ready to go! Just waiting on the frame protection to arrive (went for this one) and it’s build time.

A couple of questions:

Grease – I have most of a tube of this stuff, is that good enough for everything? It’s pretty thick. Or maybe something general like this?

Also about the rear derailleur, I’ve adjusted them plenty of times but never fitted a new one. Is it simply a matter of bolting it to the hanger and then adjust as usual, or anything extra to look out for when it’s new?
    Derailleur hanger bolt – locktite or grease?

brads
    Free Member

Are you building it as a 29″ ?

If you’re on 27.5 then 130 travel will be bit small. I rode one with 160mm , it was a weapon.

ossify

Yes 29″. I got a 140mm Fox 34 fork in the end.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Building a bike for the first time (Production Privee content)’ is closed to new replies.