Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Buildery Advice from Buildery Types…
  • boblo
    Free Member

I had a new oil tank installed recently. It sits on slabs, on sand, on the piss. It’s sloped front to back away from the pick up so even when 1/3rd full, it thinks it’s nearly empty.

I plan to jack up the low end and possibly use self levelling compound or a very wet concrete mix to flow under the resulting gap, obviously shuttering off the edges etc to stop everything escaping.

Is this the simplest way? I dont want to move it and re-lay the slabs again. It weighs ~500kg, has 500L of fuel in it and getting the div back who did the job is not an option.

Does this make sense and any other options that are easier/cheaper/quickerer please?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Jack it up and pack under the feet with slates.

boblo
    Free Member

The tank has a flat bottom if that makes a difference?

bensongd
    Free Member

Would railway sleeper or scaffold plank work? Cleaner, quicker and easier that wet concrete. Another paving slab or two?

Edit – I’m not a builder

perchypanther
    Free Member

How much do you need to raise one end?

If it’s less than 20mm then i’d still use slate, any more than that i’d get the guy back that installed it and get him to redo it properly.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ll measure the drop. The guy coming back isn’t an option. He’s under the slabs Fred West style…

I’m concerned about not evenly supporting the flat bottom and potentially breaking the tanks back when brimmed.

The obvious (easyiest) solution is just to keep the tank over 1/3 full…

welshfarmer

Oil tanks need to be installed this way, though it sounds like yours is a bit extreme. The should have a slope away from the outlet for water and gung to collect in so it doesn’t run down the pipe to the appliance. Mine has settled and runs ever so slightly down to the outflow and I am forever having to bleed the system of water. I would live with it and accept that as it slowly get moisture inside (they all do through condensation as much as anything), you will gradually get your missing 1/3 back!

boblo
    Free Member

@welshfarmer Thankyou. IDNKT. Best course of action = no action. My kind of remediation… 😉

How’s the finger/hand coming along? Lambs seem really early this year so I suppose it’s in full use ATM?

perchypanther
    Free Member

The guy coming back isn’t an option. He’s under the slabs Fred West style…

What? Your slabs?

boblo
    Free Member

Yes, my slabs… We had a difference of opinion…

I know the sequencing makes no sense but that’s comedy for you…

BigJohn

You should regard the slope as an emergency tank. If you ever run out of oil, just pour in 100 litres of water and wait for it to settle.

nealglover
    Free Member

…The guy coming back isn’t an option. He’s under the slabs Fred West style…

That at least explains the slope of the tank 👍

Maybe get a slightly fatter builder bloke in to level it up again?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The installation of an oil tank is covered by approved document J. No one but an OFTEC accredited installer should be involved.

Assuming its a plastic tank as they nearly all are these days, jacking it up with fuel still in it is the most risky thing you can do. These tanks are designed to be fully supported and level. Unlike a steel tank they can’t entirely support themselves. A canted tank to keep sludge from the outlet is a hangover from steel tanks with outlets right at the base. Modern plastic tanks have the outlet a couple of inches higher to allow for sludge accumulation over time. If you cant a plastic tank you introduce stress risers where the lower end is constantly dealing with more weight of fuel.

I see plenty of plastic tanks failing prematurely due to not being level.

Bear
    Free Member

There is a lot of regulation regarding siting of oil tanks and suitable bases. I suggest you get yours inspected by an OFTEC qualified installer as it sound potentially dangerous.

boblo
    Free Member

‘Dangerous’ is probly getting a bit overexcited. It’s been there 2 weeks with 500l of kerosene in it at a bit off level. Fukushima it ain’t…

But thanks for all your comments. I thought it should be more leveller… Getting it that way with least aggro is the trick.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Personally, I’d leave it untill the fuel is run down in the summer, shunt it out the way and then put it back.

Bear
    Free Member

If it thinks it is empty when a third full it is on a serious slant, causing stress on the tank. Also installed on slabs on sand may not be suitable for the ground conditions. Do the slabs extend the required amount around the tank, above the surrounding area, is it far enough away from buildings, openings, boundaries, water courses, garages, sheds?
    I’ve heard of buildings having to be knocked down to remove contaminated soil from beneath them from oil tank failure. Pretty hefty fine too from the environment agency I would suspect but it’s your call. I’m OFTEC qualified just trying to give you some advice as it sounds like a poor installation.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I am a contractor that does remediation on spills of domestic heating oil.

Rarely does the EA fine someone. Mostly it falls to home insurance to pick up the tab.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Buildery Advice from Buildery Types…’ is closed to new replies.