Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Builder & neighbour etiquette
  • ossify

We’re probably going to have some fairly substantial work done on the house soon: loft conversion, small extension on the boundary, more internal stuff…

Our next door neighbour is a builder, as in owns/runs the company (don’t think he does any actual building!)

Not really sure whether it’s right to ask him about doing the job or not. My instinct is no, simply because it seems like a bad idea to get into something like that with my neighbour in case of some dispute. However on the other hand it seems rude not to… but then what if he gives a quote and we want someone else? That’s even ruder! S’pose I should just speak to him…

z1ppy

ohhhh minefield I’d stay out off, totally agree with your instinct.

.. feign ignorance, and just say you got a great price from the builder you do use…

johndoh
    Free Member

I’d reckon he’ll be as likely to not want to do it as you are – he’d be concerned that you’d spend the next two years knocking on his door because x, y or z has broken.

beinbhan

Do you get on with him, has he a good reputation regards building work, would he be interested. I suggest talking to him if he’s not interested he may put you on to some one who is good.

DickBarton

Let him know you are getting work done but not going to ask him in case something goes wrong down the line and you don’t want to be chapping his door with a complaint. If he says he’d be happy to quote then let him. You’ve explained why and if he says he is happy then it is on him to do it right.

petrieboy

a neighbour you get on with and generally like? possibly worth a chat around “im thinking about doing this and im approaching these guys – any tips/recommendations/stuff i might not know because i work in IT and have soft hands?” you’ll at least get a feel for if he’d like to quote and you may get some useful unbiased advice.

ossify

Do you get on with him

Yes, don’t know him all that well, friendly guy, we say hi etc. I happen to know his wife’s family too, same kind of friendly/vague relationship.

has he a good reputation regards building work

No idea, local builder though, I’d probably have heard about a bad reputation.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Let him know you are getting work done but not going to ask him in case something goes wrong down the line and you don’t want to be chapping his door with a complaint

I reckon this as then there is no supprise when a load of vans turns up (not the shoe kind, or Dutch hockey team kind) and you’re’ve explained why you’re not asking him. He may feel the same or may still be happy to quote but it’s up to him he has an out either way.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

He is going to notice at some point that you are having the work done so why not mention it in advance.

Something simple like – “We are having this work done on the house and will be getting a few quotes in. I am happy for you to quote but totally understand if you don’t want to be working on the house next door”

What is he going to say?

Sure, I’ll quote
    Not our kind of work but thanks
    A bit to close to home for me
    or maybe even
    Piss of you horrible scum, how dare you talk to me about housing extensions when I am a builder and from now on I will be hammering frozen sausages into your lawn each weekend

Probably one of those answers

ossify

Ha, I wish I had a lawn 😉
    I’ll need him to do a party wall agreement anyway so yes something like you suggest WCA I suppose.

franksinatra

Good mate of mine is a builder and we had this question when getting some major work done last year.

I spoke to him about it and he said that he would refer not to take it on as didn’t ant any issues further down the line from either side.

I think you gut instinct is right here. Neighbour disputes are horrible, builder disputes are horrible, put the two together and it could be hellish. But definitely worth being up front with him.

Having said all of that, him doing the work might mean it gets done quicker and better as he won’t want to be living next door to a messy building site!

tthew

I’d have the conversation almost exactly as you stated it in your original post as that sound sensible and considerate. If he’s an OK bloke he’ll probably appreciate the chat and give you an honest answer as to why he would like to do the work or not.

MoreCashThanDash

My instinct is no, simply because it seems like a bad idea to get into something like that with my neighbour in case of some dispute.

Trust your instincts – his opinion will probably be the same

chakaping
    Free Member

Deffo worth a chat about who else is good and who the cowboys are though.

thebibbles

Definitely worth a chat with himm. As others have side if he doesn’t want to do it himself he may recommend others and he also might be a good person to run the quotes past so you know you’re not getting taken for a ride.

maccyb
    Free Member

On the flip side if you do get him in, there won’t be any complaints from that neighbour about the builder making noise, covering everything with dust, blocking in his car…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Builder & neighbour etiquette’ is closed to new replies.