Bugger.. just sliced through reverb hose. What do I need now..?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bugger.. just sliced through reverb hose. What do I need now..?
  • Whilst stripping the reverb off of my GF’s bike in haste I sliced through the hose, midway in its length. Bugger.

I take it I’ll need a new hose (£20?)

…and a bleed kit..? (£16..?)

Fiddlesticks. That’s the best part of £40 rinsed in 0.5 seconds!

Unless I’m missing some clever tricks here..?

Literally never played with one of these reverb thingys before – so I’m practically clueless in this – and open to all ears STW!

bobley

Sounds like it I’m afraid unless you’ve got a machine shop handy?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

When I changed mine, it seemed like just ordinary hydraulic hose and I reckon the barb is reusable, but then I found a hose kit for £14 from Tesco of all places so I just got that.

As for the bleed kit, tbh you’d want it sooner or later anyway so no great loss. They often crop up on ebay as people buy second posts, etc, worth checking.

Oh hey, maybe… How much of a rush are you in? I think I still have my original hose with connectamajig in the garage, it wasn’t long enough for my new bike but maybe it’d do you? If you don’t mind waiting you can have it for nowt, IF I can find it

That would be awesom-a-saurus! 🙂

I’m not in a massive rush – the reverb’s going in a build I’m putting together gradually for when the sun comes out and the trails are dry again. 17″ frame too, so quite short – it might just fit! I’ll PM you tomorrow, once I get back in the emails.. 🙂

jaylittle

As northwind says tescos seems to be one of the cheapest places at the moment. Placed an order today for £13 and free delivery. If you can borrow the bleed kit or get a bargain one from the free ads it might not be so bad!

mrsfry

New bike.
    The life force inside that bike has drained away amd now it is just a empty soulless vessel.

Tescos, eh.. Who d’a thought it! Okayee.. Will look into that as a fallback… And a ghetto bleed kit, made from some old tiny screws, lengths of hose and used syringes.. Or maybe the classifieds 😆

I tried to ‘trap the leaking soul’ of my bike with insulating tape, but it didn’t seem to work 😆

I have a total aversion to bleeding anything – grrrrrr… Literally my least favourite thing on a bike ever. Last time I actually attempted to bleed some brakes was 2010. A hateful task. Guess I’ll just have to get over that, eh!

Premier Icon tmb467
    Subscriber

Or take it to a bike shop and see what they will charge to do it right….

For £40 and a lot of faff or £13 and lots more faff (and you might not even do it right) why not de-risk it and get a professional to sort it

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

Weird I did exactly the same thing in my bike just ‘tuther day and thought about posting

I found this in alltricks

http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/seatposts/seatposts-accessories/rock-shox-reverb-2000-mm-hose-kit-186-129043.html

Pretty cheap at 14 quid if tescos is a no go.

I have an old reverb waiting for me to fix, the silver collar version. Is the hose the same size as the newer black collar version? Could I transfer it over?

Premier Icon MartynS
    Subscriber

I’ve got some spare (pink) brake hose if you want it..where in the world are you?

hammyuk

MartynS – Member
    I’ve got some spare (pink) brake hose if you want it..where in the world are you?

Think he’d prefer to ride it broken with no seat on it.
    Oh…
    hang on….
    :mrgreen:

warpcow

howsyourdad1 – Member
    Weird I did exactly the same thing in my bike just ‘tuther day and thought about posting
    I found this in alltricks
    http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/seatposts/seatposts-accessories/rock-shox-reverb-2000-mm-hose-kit-186-129043.html

Pretty cheap at 14 quid if tescos is a no go.
    I have an old reverb waiting for me to fix, the silver collar version. Is the hose the same size as the newer black collar version? Could I transfer it over?

It fits. I used the same kit on my old silver Reverb a couple of months ago.

I’m based in Oxford. Pink hose sounds interesting, though it might clash somewhat amazingly with the red/black/bronze colour scheme I seem to be working on at the moment though.. 😉

Thanks for the offer!

So do I take it, you can use any old hydro brake hose on a Reverb, or is it the RS stuff only?

Bike shop option sounds like a potential goer though. I really can’t see how anyone could find bleeding a pleasant experience. Messy, fiddly, stressful. Somehow requiring 4 pairs of hands. And always that nagging doubt – have I actually done it right?

Aaaand breathe… 🙂

no_eyed, are you one of the DT lot?

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

Thanks @warpcow. Did you just cut the cable at both ends from the old one? Then screw in the. Remote from the newer one ? And the end where it goes in at the saddle? Ta!

DT lot..? Er probably not.. dunno what they are.

I’m one of the EW lot (somewhat cryptically).

hooli

What do you need? You need to be more careful in future 😉

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I found that hose but can’t see an email for you… It’s got a bit of an ugly kink in it though (it was set up stealth and so got a bit squished about whenever I dropped the post in the frame) but it does work…

Premier Icon survivor
    Subscriber

If you lived near me OP I’d fix it for you for free just for using the word fiddlesticks 🙂

Basil

Scissors with rounded ends

@ survivor 😆

Cheers NW – I’ll email you! 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bugger.. just sliced through reverb hose. What do I need now..?’ is closed to new replies.