• This topic has 63 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by benos.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Buffets I have no self control
  • MoreCashThanDash

Generation X – always told to finish our food because there were people starving in the world and who’s parents could just about remember rationing. So complete pigs at a buffet.

Probably quite valid.

Daughter has had some school friends round for her birthday, somehow they ordered a large pizza each, it’s been a bit of a pizza buffet Chez Morecash

neilthewheel

I can resist everything except temptation

ton

i love a good old fashioned pub based wedding reception buffet.
    egg mayo butties
    potted beef butties
    pork pie
    sausage roll
    vol au vonts with eith creamy mushroom or prawn mix
    chicken drum sticks

i can eat for hours.

jamesoz

I rarely eat a lot at a buffet.
    Don’t get me wrong I’m greedy,but also lazy. I cba with tiny food even more so if it’s on a paper plate and I have to stand up whilst balancing a drink.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Buffets – AlWAYS JUST HAVE STARTERS, AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN

FTFY 😉

When I worked in Glasgow the choice at lunch was various dire cafes/ sandwich shops ( defo not deli’s) or a selection of excellent Indian restaurants all of which did lunch buffets. Don’t think I ever did 5 days consecutive, but defo did 4 days in a week.

Basically just sat eating plate after plate of starters washed down with 2 or 3 pints of lager 🙂

bakey

I once worked with a very hungry colleague who we nicknamed: Cathy the Buffet Slayer.

chewkw
    Free Member

I love buffet me.

My favourite is this curry house .

Give it a go if you are in GeordieLand and book your stay at the Premier Inn just beside the restaurant. LOL!

dyna-ti

When I worked in Glasgow the choice at lunch was various dire cafes/ sandwich shops ( defo not deli’s) or a selection of excellent Indian restaurants all of which did lunch buffets.

That used to be our 4 man group night out(weekend drinking) at the New Anand Indian restaurant buffet. OK we ordered copious amounts of overpriced Indian larger but i don’t think they appreciated us stripping the buffet of everything edible (Except starters). And we strained the meat out the sauce so they had to keep replenishing it. 😆

BillMC

Once went to a wedding where the reception was champagne and food by Prue Leith. Almost everyone, including the vicar, disgraced themselves.

chewkw
    Free Member

And we strained the meat out the sauce so they had to keep replenishing it. 😆

Have mercy on them otherwise they will not make enough money to continue offering good buffet, LOL!

hammy7272
    Free Member

We used to go to the Pizza Hut buffet on a School lunchtime and eat a grotesque amount. Can’t remember the amount of slices the record holder ate but it was outrageous and we nearly had to carry him out. Obscene.

reeksy

Buffets at conferences will be the death of me. First I complain about how small the plates are, then i use it as an excuse to keep going back over an over again. I mean what’s the point if you haven’t tried everything on offer?

Then i’m miserable because I ate too much. And that was just morning tea.

Next it’s lunch time.

Then it’s the session before afternoon tea and I know there’s cakes coming up, so i’m anxiously looking at the clock hoping I get there before all the best ones are gone. Makes it very hard to concentrate on the presentation… that i’m supposed to be giving.

Last month i was at a conference we had a BBQ buffet as the evening meal. 30 minutes later they bring out dessert. Seven different options. I’m stuffed. But rule #1 you have to try everything. It’s embarrassing. But yeah, i blame rations. Even my kids know the story of what their Grandad did with his first wage packet – bought a pound of marzipan, ate it all and threw up.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

funny

For lunch I was going to make some sarnies but ended up spending $14 on a chinese “help yourself” buffet. And I did.

Spent the afternoon complaining.

Yes it was bloody nice. (I also had one on Monday)

Lets call it carb loading eh?

martinhutch

First I complain about how small the plates are, then i use it as an excuse to keep going back over an over again.

Easy solution.

trailmonkey

We once had the extended family down from Brum for a Saturday night party. We woke Sunday with the kind of hangovers that only an Indian can cure, so we assembled at a curry house in Newton Abbot for their ‘all you can eat’ lunchtime buffet.

We smashed so much grub that they insisted that we ate too much and tried to get us to pay more.

That’s Premier League buffeting.

*We didn’t pay extra*

Coyote
    Free Member

Philpotts caters our company with their most beige buffet offering. It’s cold and bland with absolutely zero wow factor. I shall indulge today and massively overeat. I hate myself.

chewkw
    Free Member

The trick is sample everything in small amount the first round. Then go back for the ones that you prefer in 2nd, 3rd etc rounds. LOL!

Actually smaller plate has an advantage because that’s a good excuse to go back for more.

IdleJon

As much as I love a (beige) buffet, I hate the faffing involved. Take a plate and queue while Deidre umms and ahhs about whether to add one or two mini sausage rolls. And what’s in these breaded objects she wonders before moving on to occupy herself by taking twelve minutes to add a spoonful of tzatziki to accompany her celery. GET OUT OF THE WAY OF THE SAUSAGE ROLLS, YOU SIMPLE PERSON!!

johndoh
    Free Member

My favourite Indian used to do an ‘All you can eat’ Sunday night buffet and it astounded me why some (ie, almost everyone) would go up and pile their plates so high with food. It’s an ‘all you can eat’ – they aren’t going to take the food away and surely it’s better to take a smaller amount then go back for more (still hot) food rather than ploughing through a rapidly-cooling plate of vegetable bhuna?

intheborders
    Free Member

My favourite Indian used to do an ‘All you can eat’ Sunday night buffet and it astounded me why some (ie, almost everyone) would go up and pile their plates so high with food. It’s an ‘all you can eat’ – they aren’t going to take the food away and surely it’s better to take a smaller amount then go back for more (still hot) food rather than ploughing through a rapidly-cooling plate of vegetable bhuna?

+1

I remember going to a newly opened Chinese when I lived down south with a big group, they all piled their plates up and then laughed at my ‘starter’ plate – I then pointed out on the menu the small print regarding “waste will be charged for”.

BillMC

Went to a help yourself Chinese near Manly beach, ‘smorsgarsbord’. Two morbidly obese individuals kept gorging themselves up and eating into the profits, my appetite evaporated and I couldn’t wait to escape into the street.

thecaptain
    Free Member

My local curry still does such a buffet and it’s ok but TBH I can stuff myself silly there for a similar price from the a la carte menu and the food is fresher and better that way.

benos

This could’ve been written about my dad, who grew up the youngest of 7 children in a very poor family during rationing. Right up until he died, he ate fast and ate everything.

https://theconversation.com/deprivation-in-childhood-linked-to-impulsive-behaviour-in-adulthood-new-study-190858

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.