Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Buffalo Special 6
  • bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Always fancied one of these for bastard cold days and throwing on after a surf, etc

Anyone here used one, do they live up to the seemingly universal hype?

Markie
    Free Member

Love them – instantly snug. In my time Ive worn out three of them, now have a Buffalo alpine jacket, same snugness, smarter look (to me, at least!).

Make sure it’s sized to fit snugly over your bare body, too big and you lose a fair chunk of the magic.

[serendipitous and hopefully not too cheeky sales pitch]on which note, I happen to have a little used size 44 (too big for me, the only one in the shop when I needed it, worn on one trip and sporadically thereafter) one in black, should anyone wish to make an offer…[\serendipitous sales pitch]

Looking for baby buffalo stuff, I saw their site has been updated, they always used to have a wonderful section of user commendations!

samej
    Free Member

Yes. Probably.

I have a Montane smock, which is much the same thing. It’s been used loads for winter climbing/walking and is brilliant for that. They are meant to be worn close fitting and next to the skin, or perhaps with a thin baselayer. So if it is for putting on over stuff it’s perhaps not what you’re after. They do feel toasty though when you put them on cold. I’ve never worn it on the bike – would need to be very cold for that I think, but I haven’t gone out much in sub zero weather on the bike. Perhaps the teclite stuff, or equivalent (e.g Rab Vapourise) would be better for moderate cold and/or high output activity. One problem I’ve had with the Montane is the neck zip pokes me in the chin when done all the way up. Not sure if the Buffalo has the same issue.

I also have some Buffalo mitts which are brilliant for putting on cold hands. And I used to own some Buffalo salopettes which were ok, but didn’t use that much, they didn’t seem to be that well designed, in comparison to (e.g.) some articulated waterproof trousers. A bit baggy.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I have the Special 6 and the Mountain Jacket.

Best jacket’s I’ve got and I’ve tried the ‘hundreds of quid’ hardshell route.

Wet and warm is where it’s at – they don’t get as sweaty as any of the hardshell’s I’ve used and unlike hard-shells they act like wetsuits if they get soaked through. You have to wear them against your skin though.

You do feel toasty in them sometimes but funnily enough I’ve never felt as sweaty in them.

vixalot
    Free Member

I had a country covers one it was half the price of a buff at the time(my money could not stretch to a buff), it was very warm and toasty 🙂 but it was also bulky and heavier. I have a buff now its brill it packs down quite tight for popping in the rucksack too 🙂 My other half has had his buff for years he loves it but he really should get a new one it looks a bit tired. They are warmer when you wear them next to the skin or with a thin base layer.

glupton1976
    Free Member

All this must wear the against your skin stuff is nonsense and pretty uncomfortable in my experience. Pair one up with a lightweight base layer underneath and you have outdoor kit nirvana.

somouk
    Free Member

Fantastic bits of kit. Not the greatest if you’re just standing around, the snugpak kit is better for that but if you’re active then the buffalo is excellent. I also agree with ^^^^ wear a base layer underneath.

vondally
    Free Member

As above base layer and keep moving…..hard to beat then…..mine is 20 years old and still serviceable……as a throw from now get a cheap primaloft belay jacket……I bought a keela onein tk maxx 15 quid…..
    Buffalo are great over looked kit

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have the active shirt and its about a warm as i need – can wear it commuting but i couldnt wear it racing at the puffer – merino and endura stealth saw me fine

Good to pootle in but giving it beans its too much

But i love it and in winter its a given that ill be wearing it . Good fur skiing in too

sofaking
    Free Member

mine is about 17 years old and still comes out on the coldest of cold days. awesome piece of kit but has to be well below zero for me to use it on the bike, can be worn on milder days if your not too active

maccruiskeen

Maybe they break in with use but trying one on in comparison to a paramo smock I found buffalo and montane smocks really stiff and restrictive. The paramo (sort of) equivalent is much, much comfier to wear, and gives much better articulation.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Yep great for typical British damp winter weather. I’ve worn mine on days where it was so wet bending my arm was like turning a tap on at the elbow but stayed warm and comfortable. Could never wear mine on the bike and probably wear my Alpkit down gilet more as I find it more useful(obviously not when it’s wet). I’ll only wear mine when I know it’s never going to be so warm I want to take it off so it generally just gets used in January and February. I’ve used it down to about -15C with just a t shirt underneath. Had mine for about 15 years and it has a few small holes/tears but unlike a waterproof they don’t matter.

footflaps

All this must wear the against your skin stuff is nonsense and pretty uncomfortable in my experience. Pair one up with a lightweight base layer underneath and you have outdoor kit nirvana.

+1, Always wore a thermal under mine.

Great bits of kit, just look terrible.

TooTall
    Free Member

Montane far superior and cheaper than the Buffalo – I’ve used both and the motane is better made, cleverer design and as I said, cheaper. Some TK Maxx have them in right now for buttons. The jacket version with the full length zip is superior again to the smock version.

Far too warm for anything other than the coldest rides.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I own two special six shirts and they are simply the best for cold weather. I prefer wearing a man made base layer with mine and even sat around/laying around in serious sub zero temperatures they are great. I do however find them too warm to ride in ( few years ago when the snow was 4′ deep on the Long Myndd we did a long hard cold ride and I had both side zips and the chest unzipped on the climbs with it worn next to skin.
    Same as anything look after them and wash/reproof they will last donkeys years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Buffalo Special 6’ is closed to new replies.