Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Buffalo sleeping bags
  • Premier Icon bob_summers

Longshot, but anyone still use them? I’m a big fan of their marmite jackets and looking for a bag at the moment. I can’t find a definitive answer on the temp ratings. I’m looking at either a 4S Inner/Outer combo, or the outer paired with a lightweight outer.

Wondering if that would do me – outer alone would do summer bivvies, bike camping etc. Combo would do sub-zero winter trips, either in tent or dossing in the van – spend a lot of weekends in the Pyrenees over winter but not at altitude.

Anyone with experience? No answer from Buffalo so far.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

Not seen one for years but  other companies have copied them recently with more modern materials

Premier Icon footflaps

My brother had one back in the 80s, never seen them since!

They were big and heavy, so I can’t see why anyone would want one now.

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

Dunno about their temp ratings but they are somewhat bulky even when compared to synthetic bags.

I’m a big fan of their jackets but not used the bags. For occasional use I’d look at a decent summer/3 season synthetic bag with either a liner bag or outer bag to augment it for winter use.

Premier Icon bob_summers

Thought there was more love for them on here!

I was keeping an eye on the ‘bay as a cheap way to scratch the itch but wouldn’t like any surprises on the temp rating.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

Had one thirty plus years ago, had no idea they were still about. Mine was pertex outer with pile lining and worked well at the time for what I was doing, as in it wasn’t the end of the world if it got a bit damp.  I’d be a bit disappointed if they hadn’t moved on in the 21st century, it was a bit bulky.

Premier Icon franksinatra

Depends how you are planning to use it. I use one when lying down on the ground for hours when training search dogs. It is warm and tough and lasts forever. I wouldn’t consider buying one though, much better, warmer and less bulky modern alternatives around.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

I owned 20 of them via my old outdoor centre.

They are good. Dry quickly, not too bothered by wet, reasonably warm when combined with full buffalo trousers and top, very durable.

They are however huge. Weighty. Cut oddly. Require multiple layers of bag and Buffalo clothing to be used. Don’t have foot openings – the zip is a half or 3/4 zip. Don’t have draw-cords around the shoulders. Did I say huge and weighty already?

My summary – if you really want a sleeping bag to take up 25lt+ of a bag, plus sleep in full buffalo kit with bag over, then they are good. I have woken up in one at Loch Morlich in -11, under just a small tarp, having had a toasty nights sleep. I have used them playing casualty for MRT or centre staff high on cold hills.

Sleeping bags in fibre+pertex does not play to the strengths of the materials being used – they are best for wicking and warmth on the move, multiple layers in freezing (not wet) conditions. Modern down and synthetic fill bags kick a Buffalo system out the park. The loch Morlich bivi – I was also wearing full thermals, fleece trousers, buffalo top, hat, buff, thin gloves and the double bag….

Premier Icon ElShalimo

Thought there was more love for them on here!

There is/was.. I always wanted one in the 80s but couldn’t afford one. I got a SnugPak one which was labelled as Brett Harris?? or something like that.

Premier Icon winston
    Free Member

I’ve still got my 40 year old one!   Red pile with a removeable pertex outer (and a full length 2 way zip @matt_outandabout)

I still use it occasionally (or did till last year pre bloody covid) when running scout bivi weekends as its fine to get wet and easily washed as everything gets so muddy on those weekends. However as we are never more than 100m from a transit van the HUGE bulk is of no consquence.

Premier Icon B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There was an outdoor shop in Otley that had one on the wall, it was huge. One of my pals was a great advocate of buffalo gear but he never bothered with the sleeping bag for same reasons already stated.

I’ve still got a lightweight outer. Depends on how you feel the cold but for me it was strictly summer only inside a small double skin tent. Even then it could get a bit chilly. Not used it for years (since I could afford a decent down bag). It is really small and light though.

BIL had the full four season outer+inner – It was warm, massive and really heavy.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

Before Buffalo, ME used to do a 1 season pile liner called the Shearwater. I have one in the gear cupboard where it’s sat for probly 25 years and I never slept well in it even in high summer.

I now use PHD’s Minim 300 or Hispar 500 for lightweight stuff or a Mountain Hardwear Lamina synthetic jobbie for when things might get damp.

Unless you’re pooing in a bag with the SAS, might be time to move on…

Premier Icon brads

The first generation system was amazing but was like towing a car.
    The second incarnation didn’t float my boat as much so I went snugpak.

Premier Icon montgomery
    Free Member

If you want a bulky, warm bag that isn’t that bothered about getting damp, try this. I’ve got the matching bivi bag and it’s good enough I’m toying with buying the bag for bullet proof winter bivis. Tuesday night:

I currently have a Lamina synthetic bag which I like (much too warm on Tuesday, mind). The Hunka XL bivi I had been using failed spectacularly during that massive electrical all-night storm back in the summer, on a Dales fell, but the water didn’t make it through to me.

Premier Icon bob_summers

OK, that seems to be a resounding ‘no’ unless I’m training dogs.

So a Lamina -9 with a liner?

I did look at PHD primaloft, but a bit spendy for the use it’ll get – unless they are really bombproof.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

The Lamina is a really good bag, lightish and not too bulky (for synthetic). PHD probly a bit overkill for van camping…

Premier Icon TooTall
    Free Member

If you like Buffalo jackets, try the Montane Extreme jacket or smock.

Like a Buffalo but betterer.
    I’ve had 3 of them over 2 decades and they are the best thing I’ve owned as outdoor jackets.

Premier Icon oreetmon
    Free Member

+1 snugpak. Got a few of them to cater for different seasons/situations
    Best bags I’ve used for the money (I don’t like spending money)

Premier Icon epicyclo

@TooTall strange you should say that. I bought a Montane Extreme jacket last year. It was to serve as a replacement for my Buffalo smock.

I like being able to dump heat by opening the zip down the front when on the bike. The side zips on the Buffalo meant I had to stop to do it.

But the Buffalo is more comfortable IMO.

Premier Icon montgomery
    Free Member

Lamina 20 (F, so about -7C). Not overly optimistic, a good bag that I’ve had for about six years.

Premier Icon bob_summers

Ordered a Lamina -7ºc, thanks for the reccs. Still have to scratch the Buffalo itch so if anyone wants to sell a 4S I’ll still have it!

@Tootall that’s as mebbe but I’ve amassed a few mountain/windshirts etc since the 90s and they’ll outlast me I reckon. The only reason I’d change is to get rid of 90s purple…

Premier Icon johnnymarone
    Free Member

I’ve got the black inner and the fleecy green pertex outer. The inner is too cold and draughty on its own, the green outer is boiling and cut way too tight for my shoulders, quite claustrophobic feeling.
    The special 6 or mountain shirt, whatever its called, is absolutely magnificent bit of winter kit. Had mine since 1997, bit threadbare now, few holes, but dries quick when soaked through, keeps you warm when soaking, and tough as hell. It was my winter commuting wear for years.
    I bought a kestrel6 or 9 sleeping bag , think its a Snugpak, little hexagons sewn into it all over, as a ripstop I think. That was a far superior bag to the Buffalo, it was my bed for a few years before I met the missus and started sleeping in a bed again.

Premier Icon johnnymarone
    Free Member

Had a montane smock to replace it, but sent it back, very funny shape. Tight on the arms and bixy on the body, or vise versa, was a few years ago now.

Premier Icon scotroutes

I have two Laminas – a 35 and a 0. I bought them when I was still worried about the effects of moisture on my lovely down bags. After a while, I just caved in and started using the down bags anyway. After several years, I’ve yet to get one so damp it has affected its performance.

Premier Icon bob_summers

aye, but I don’t do fevvas so it’s synthetic fill or pile for me.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Ah. In that case, I don’t think a Lamina will disappoint 🙂

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

I’ve still got the Tissit fibre pile bag I had when I was just going up into scouts from cubs. I’ll have to go have a search for it.

Premier Icon CountZero

The special 6 or mountain shirt, whatever its called, is absolutely magnificent bit of winter kit.

Can’t argue with that; after wearing various outerwear at work, including the almost obligatory PU nylon high-viz jacket, all of which failed in the face of an entire day out in pouring rain, (I’m not prepared to spend hundreds of pounds for gear to wear at work, working around cars and vans), so I bought a Special 6 last November, which I got a decent discount on, and wore it every day to work right through until I got furloughed in March. All I wear under it is a Helly Lifa, and if it really pisses down, a cheap Millets Peter Storm packable rain jacket with a hood, which keeps the worst off, so the Buffalo just gets a bit damp, and I stay snug and dry. A perfect example of something that was done right the first time, and hasn’t needed fixing. Other than the logo!

Premier Icon martinb
    Free Member

I have a red Montane Extreme L jacket ( like a buffalo but better) for sale in the classifieds if anyone fancies trying one again. ( stealth ad )

I also came across a pertex buffalo sleeping bag liner in the cupboard the other day. And a pair of purple mittens, almost childlike in their simplicity.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

I feel responsible for all the MHW Lamina love on here. My wife got one when they first came out and I’ve recommended it to all and sundry for 10 years or so on here

They’re even better nowadays. Great bags

Premier Icon scotroutes

I picked up my Lamina 0 off the STW classifieds about 8 years ago. I’d had the 35 for a while before that and it had impressed me enough to make a further investment. It may well have been yourself that suggested them, though I also have an even older MH Phantom 32 so I have a lot of respect for the brand generally.

Premier Icon bob_summers

@martinb if the Buffalo stuff ends up on the classifieds I’m interested (if you’d post to Spain that is). I had the mittens but haven’t seen them for a while, probably buried in the van somewhere. Great for making snowmen with the wean!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.