Buffalo shirts – what to use them for??

Home Forum Chat Forum Buffalo shirts – what to use them for??

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Buffalo shirts – what to use them for??
  • sofaboy73

i’ll preface this by saying I’m not sure where I’m going with this post, I’m a bit of a kit addict (“hello, my name is ben, and I have too many coats”) and I may be looking for a niche that doesn’t exist!

bought a second hand buffalo special 6 shirt a few abouu 9 months ago, mainly because it was a really good deal, it’s always been a bit of an iconic bit of kit from my childhood, I like the fact they’re still made in my hometown,and I like kit!!

struggling to find a use for it though. Gets far too warm heavy physical excersion (ie climbing a big hill) unless it near freezing, not warm enough for standing around when it’s cold, too bulky too pack down as a ‘warm layer’ (and not designed to be that), not water proof but still very warm when wet, very windproof and so far appears to be increadible for walking the dog in slightly shitty weather at a mild pace but that’s it – even for me, that’s pretty niche

what am I missing?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Gets far too warm heavy physical excersion (ie climbing a big hill) unless it near freezing

Go climbing big hills when it’s near (or below) freezing then. They are remarkably effective, especially when worn without any base layer. You just need to get used to freezing winds whistling through the side zips.

Truth is, there are only a handful of days each year when I wear mine – and those would be big mountain days in the Scottish Highlands.

rene59

what am I missing?

The point.

A bit like buying crampons and complaining they’re not much use for trail running in the woods.

sofaboy73

Go climbing big hills when it’s near (or below) freezing then. They are remarkably effective, especially when worn without any base layer.

Yep, they definitely work better at wicking and keeping you warm without a base layer (although that brings up another issue of no one needs to see my side paunch whilst slogging up a hill), however that’s where I’m struggling with them – because you need to go naked underneath and it has to be so cold for them to be tolerable on the up (I run hot), you can’t take them off when your too warm (you’re naked or with just a freezing base layer) and I find them no good When I’m not exercising that hard when it’s cold enough to be tolerable on the up! where do they fit – other than Scotland in the winter and walking the dog at a mild exertion. I think I may of out niched myself!

I find my Belay Jacket a lot cooler  and more versatile than my Special Six because of the zip, also, Buffalo do lighter jackets. The Special Six is reserved for going underneath my Belay jacket if the shit hits the fan and I’m not moving/covering ground in below zero weather for whatever reason.

sofaboy73

The point

Being??

Point other than Scotland in the winter and walking the dog at a mild exertion.

When your stuck in shit weather that’s wetted out your hardshell, you’ll wish you had the Buffalo on.

sofaboy73

When your stuck in shit weather that’s wetted out your hardshell, you’ll wish you had the Buffalo on.

Fair point, I’ve clearly not used it in grim enough weather yet. It strikes me as a warm when wet when throwing out the wattage in a blowing gale type  of layer.  But that’s very occasionally for me and possibly I’m not designed for it and have a variety of primaloft jackets which do a similar job (although I get the impression the buffalo would still work when your piss wet through).

Perhaps dog walking in the clag is the only niche I need for it. Very much like the shirt ((for reasons mentioned above) and looks indestructible), wish it had a half chest zip and grit rid of the map pocket

sofaboy73

I find my Belay Jacket a lot cooler and more versatile than my Special Six

@ray – I think that’s what I’m struggling with, the lack of versatility. I can see it being class leading in very specific situations, but not flexible enough and too bulky (and naked underneath) to stick in the pack l

thsnks for the input

Premier Icon StirlingCrispin
    Subscriber

I live in mine.

Buffalos do work when piss-wet but you need to have washed them properly else they soak water like a sponge.

Mine gets worn daily for walking the dog but it’s not really been cold enough yet this winter for proper biking in it.

I tend to wear a base-t underneath as I can’t be bothered washing it after every use. That said, they are best in mild, wet weather when nekkid underneath.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

Low intensity cool stuff (lots of people wear insulated jackets for this)

or higher intensity cold stuff. As scotroutes said they’re great when it’s cold, and the venting works, but it does need to be cold enough. As a result I’ve used mine rarely for hill walking

it was great in Lapland! I was layering it there though

Premier Icon gallowayboy
    Subscriber

Mine gets used for warming folk up after cold swims. Bivviing, but a bit bulky for lugging around.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Wouldn’t be without one.

It’s what gets me through the worst “Puffers – when it’s sleeting and howling. Nothing to beat it.

And if you’re getting too hot, a quick release of heat through those big side zips does the job.

If you’re worried about exposing your body, then just wear a close fitting wicking base layer under it.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Great to change into after a winters ride or night ride before driving home.

Premier Icon angeldust
    Subscriber

Could you hang in a Buffalo stance?

trail_rat

In winter my active shirt is one of the most versatile bits of kit I have for wet and windy location

Don’t use it on the bike till -10 though far too warm. But then it was never designed for the bike.

Walking /working outside the house / in the hills /post exercise etc

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Could you hang in a Buffalo stance?

🤣

I’m a buffalo fan. But they have been superseded over the years.

The Montane Extreme’s are better – wind flaps over zips, better cut, better pockets, different fabrics etc If you want single layer solution, these are just better.

I also think the new generation of lighter warm n Pertex jackets such as Rab Vapour Rise or Montane Krypton or Alpkit Morphosis (?) plus a couple of base layers are just as warm in the extreme, but work so much better in high exertion or more moderate conditions.

scruff9252

As above, I lived in mine last winter and in Iceland  this summer – great for when your just bumbling around at the weekend when the temp <10°, walking the dog, canoing etc. Not yet dug it out this year yet – still on wax jacket over jumper weather.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I only wish they did one for Scottish summer weather ~14-18° too. </span>

Premier Icon stevenmenmuir
    Subscriber

I’ve mostly used mine when my dad was a gamekeeper, great for a days beating when it’s fairly gentle stop start exercise.  I’d like it more if the arms were a bit looser and I could push the sleeves up.  Had mine over twenty years now, still gets used a few times a year but a layering system is generally more useful.

joshvegas

In theory i use my montagne one a fairvbit as a throw on after cold wet excercise to keep the chill off or when i go wandering in the snow.

But as with alot of the warm things in my life i’m lucky if i get a look in before my other half has snaffled it. She utilises it as part of a layering system!

trail_rat

dunno , i looked at the new montanes.

not sure if its because mines is worn out but the new fabric just seems *thicker* and more restrictive , – more like a hard shell than a wind shell.

the pertex on the active shirt seems real thin and unrestrictive.

anyhoo – until it falls apart youll have to pry it off my back in winter…. i even wear it offshore at work – nothing better when the winds howling though the wellhead deck and your warm. Even thermal coveralls cant compete with the Buffalo

ElShalimo

@sofaboy73 – the Special 6 is for really nasty conditions, e.g. UK Winter (cold & Wet), or just really cold environments.They’re great for paddling, climbing, walking etc

If you don’t get to play out in that weather you’ll not experience how good they are. Its far too warm for an activity in the summer and if you’re a hot person it will probably be confined to the wardrobe until winter.

If you don’t get on with it stick it on the classifieds, someone will take it from you!!

Premier Icon moose
    Subscriber

Good stagging on jacket. Although as someone has pointed out, Montane took the concept and improved it quite significantly.

I’ve got the montane one and last time I wore it was the beast from the east, all day fat biking in howling winds and snow. I’d only wear it if it’s staying on all day, too heavy and bulky to pack. I’ve a polartec alpha jacket that does a similar job, but lighter and more packable (but not quite as warm). I was out in the cairngorms last weekend on the bike, gale force winds, not too cold (windchill down to maybe -5 higher up), but noticed the chap I was with had one one on, we were going at a fairly slow pace but he didn’t expire from overheating at any point

Mine must be well over 20 years old, barely get chance to use it in anger though.  I have worn it when walking a short loop with my 5yo in cool, single digits weather (loads of stopping and looking at things!) thinking I’d cook, but even carrying him uphill on my shoulders, it vents so well with the side zips it’s no bother at all.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Montane used to do a special expedition version of their pile/Pertex stuff, called the Eight Smock. It was a terrifying thing with extra heavy weight pile and super durable waterproof fabtics. Wearing it was like being encased in giant pipe lagging and about as useful. It was ideal if you found the standard Montane Extreme Smock inadequate for your needs.

This thing.

It was like a cross between a tent and an expedition sleeping bag. You could pretty much survive a nuclear war inside one. I’m not sure they sold many, but I think I still have one in the attic. From 1998 apparently. I don’t remember ever encountering conditions so unimaginably extreme that I could actually wear it. Antarctica maybe.

Anyway… if you want sort of like pile/Pertex but less warm, lighter and better fitting, Rab’s Alpha Direct jacket is ace, though too warm for biking. Patagonia also did a string of shelled, fluffy jackets that worked well.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.