Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Buffalo out of stock everywhere
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Trying to replace my 30-year-old Buffalo and finding everywhere is out stock, idly wondering if anyone on here knows if this is just seasonal demand or a Brexit/Covid outcome?

2POC
    mattyfez

I know a guy with some cows and a bull or two for sale if you are interested. PM be hun x

ElShalimo

which Buffalo shirt?

lotto
    Free Member

You may have a wee bit of seasonal Google flu.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/B/Buffalo(930).aspx

https://www.needlesports.com/catalogue/results.aspx?search=Buffalo

First two places I tried, which garment and size specifically are you after?

I must confess to being a Buffalo fan boi. Amazing kit.

colin9

I like the look of their mitts, but I don’t think I’d use them enough.

Marko

Don’t forget to look at the Montane and Snugpak versions. I prefer my Montane top as it has the minor improvements that Buffalo should have made years ago. Only drawback is that the Montane is made overseas compared to the Buffalo and Snugpak, which are both made in the UK:

Snugpak

Montane

benp1

which shirt and what size?

Cougar
    bob_summers

Was it Brant mentioned they’re fully booked up til Dec 2021? Glad to hear it but it did mean my last pertex n pile came from China instead (Montane) – sorry 😞

On the other hand, this is definitely true:

I prefer my Montane top as it has the minor improvements that Buffalo should have made years ago

Comparing similar Belay jackets and the Montane mitts are almost normal looking while the Buffalos look like fetish gear.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

My wife got me a wind shirt for X.mas from lansdale uk, May be worth a look

yosemitepaul

Try Silvermans…….. They appear to have a lot of stock, I was about to get a Special 6 from them until I saw that Needlesport, had few left, including just what I needed. So I ordered from them as they’re local to me.

cloggy

Bloody hell Snugpak are cheap. Looks lighter built than the Montane version so might suit a wider temperature range For Buffalo try http://www.gibboutdoors.co.uk/products/apparel/buffalo/

simian
    Free Member

I prefer my Montane top as it has the minor improvements that Buffalo should have made years ago.

That’s interesting, as I had a buffalo windshirt for 15 years and decided to replace it as the pile was totally flat. I bought a montane which *looks* like it should be an improvement, but overall the buffalo is a far better shirt, IMO.

TooTall
    Free Member

I have to echo Montane. Just a better jacket because of the refinements. I’ve had them for decades now and the Extreme jacket is my go to for sub zero riding with just a wicking layer underneath.

Have a look at military surplus for the British mil buffalo-ish smock. My friends still serving like theirs a lot – lighter construction but cheap!

CountZero

Just a better jacket because of the refinements.

What are they, out of interest? Asking as an owner and daily wearer of a Buffalo Special 6.

lotto
    Free Member

@CountZero

Better fitting hood. Mouth cover is attached. (Buffalo Antarctica style) Better position of hand pockets for use in harness. If you are in the harness then there is a detachable crotch strap. (turns into  Buffalo Big 6 instantly) Wider wrist gussets. Lets you bring down over the gloves easily or snare above the elbow without issue. The velcro tabs around waist pull towards the front of the body, rather than the rear, much more intuitive on the go. (You’ve just pulled your hipbelt the same way, muscle memory takes you to the same tabs on the smock even in pitch black. It is far bulkier though.  Sadly not made in Sheffield so stick with the Special6. The nuances aren’t enough to convert to the young pretender in my humble opinion.

vondally
    Free Member

We just bought a appoint version and whilst ok the buffalo is surprisingly better cut, alpkit will be returned and a buffalo ordered.
    I have two Montane extreme jackets going in classifieds soon, large barely used but too small for me and xl which is new which is too large….

scamperjenkins
    Free Member

Worn my Buffalo on and off since 1996. Reminded what a great bit of kit is is when I dug it out during the recent cold weather. Only issue is I have the zipped front rather than front pocket version which in blue does make me look as if I’m on the way to an 80’s party.

scaredypants

B&Q in Great Barr were selling some cheap last week

… or was that bisons

IGMshirt

Kbrembo
    Free Member

My 3 week old montane has just fallen to bits under the armpit, all the stitches have come undone. Very disappointed in the quality.

funkrodent

@vondally

I might be interested in the XL Montane. Let me know when it goes up, or you can message me direct on here. Cheers

jimmy748

https://www.thebuffalofarm.co.uk/livestock-sale

£700-£1500 so not cheap, but you’d probably get a few jackets out of each one.

Del

As it goes I have Montane extreme jacket with hood in medium (though comes up large in my view which is why I’m moving it on). Bnwt. Open to offers.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Thanks for all the links etc. I was going for a black Special 6 in 42, which was OOS at the first several places I tried.

In the end I ordered one of these new-fangled ‘Active Shirts’ because I like the colours and the neck closure looks like a better arrangement, compared with the S-6.

Now I just have to hope things get a bit colder 🙂

Sui
    Free Member

I love Buffalo kit, i have a teclight cycling top from almost 20 years ago, it’s awesome it still gets used in winter a lot, but have noticed the front is starting to feel a little colder these days. Still have my SP6 from playing soldiers, which is also awesome.

However, i must have been hiding under a rock because the prices have gone bonkers ££££££ – teclight is now over £200 – -!!!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Americans shot them all to starve out the natives.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

You need to take a stance against such shortages.

footflaps

However, i must have been hiding under a rock because the prices have gone bonkers ££££££ – teclight is now over £200 – -!!!!!

Mine was about £45 IIRC

singlespeedstu

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the different Buffalo smocks please?
    Looking at special6 and active shirt.

StirlingCrispin

The Special 6 Shirt is cut 2″ longer than the Mountain Shirt. Buffalo say: “This helps with water run off from the shirt and tends to fit taller / broader individuals slightly better than the Mountain Shirt”.

I have two Special 6 shirts- one ripped to shreds, which gets worn multiple times a day in winter for walking the dog and biking, and one for best.

The Active Lite Shirt is for high-effort activities (running etc). I use mine for spring / autumn biking. It has a non-pile lining.

This is where I get confused – The website says the Active Shirt (and the Special 6) both have a Thermopile lining. The outer fabric on the Active looks similar to that on my Active Lite and so must be more breathable (and is possibly less durable).

PS: If you are on Facebook, might be best asking Buffalo direct: https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloSystems

lotto
    Free Member

The biggest difference between the Special 6 and Active shirt is the outer material. Pertex quantum v PForm shell fabric. They latter is more suited to milder weather where less insulation is required but more breathing/wicking. So your selection would be dependent on season usage and main activity.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I wore my mountain shirt on the bike last night, first time in 25 years I think, can’t remember wearing it on the bike before. I was a bit warm to begin with and probably shouldn’t have bothered with the ss base layer but then it got wetter, the wind got up and it was pretty cold and miserable and I remembered why the thing is so good. I just wish I could push the sleeves up past my elbows. Funnily enough our kids have been wearing them, my other half has one too, this year, sledging the other week and Munro bagging in October.

TooTall
    Free Member

What are they, out of interest? Asking as an owner and daily wearer of a Buffalo Special 6.

I found them to have relatively longer sleeves so better for me with simian armspan and on the bike when they are necessary.
    Forearm reinforcement.
    A fleece rather than fiber pile at the hem and cuffs. The lack of bulk there is very noticeable in daily wear and seems to not wick as much moisture at the edges.
    The vents in the pockets do more to help me regulate temperature – they seem to go deeper into the jacket.
    Getting the hood with it instead of buying it as an extra.
    Collar is higher and fleece so more comfortable.

TooTall
    Free Member

Here’s a link to the Army surplus smock. Seems well liked. Other suppliers and prices are available:

British reseller

scruff9252

I have (I think) the active shirt – it has a ripstop effect outer layer when I compared in store to buy compared to the special 6? The sales chap thought the active shirt would be harder wearing. He wasn’t wrong!

I’ve had it 6ish years now, used almost daily through winter for dog walks and I could probably pass it off as brand new. An incredible and hard wearing bit of kit.

Does anyone know if they do a Scottish Summer weight one too?

ElShalimo

Scottish Summer weight one

Isn’t that just the basic pertex windshirt?

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/windshirt/#colourswitch

lotto
    Free Member

Does anyone know if they do a Scottish Summer weight one too?

They sure do.

For the hooded version look at the Tectlite shirt. (Jacket also available)

Unhooded look at the Active light shirt.

The Fell jacket would also be suitable for Scottish summer conditions.

RustyNissanPrairie

Loving my Montane Extreme jacket – I’ve had a Montane Hydrogen jacket which is the thinner/lighter version that has been great but was struggling a bit in the recent low temps.
    LD Mountain Centre have the jackets for £127 which sealed the deal but I’d have bought one of those Snugpacks above at that price had I known.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

My Active Shirt turned up yesterday.

On a size 42, which is what I need to avoid cold spots (I’m replacing a size 44 S-6), I find that the sleeves are too short.

According to the size charts, sleeve length is the same across sizes but maybe affected by other design factors – I don’t know. Anyway. Might try a size 42 S-6 and see if the sleeves feel any longer, or I might just carry onn with the MTR for now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Buffalo out of stock everywhere’ is closed to new replies.