Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Buff with SPF sun protection?
  • cinnamon_girl

To wear under helmet and ideally very fine but with that all-important protection from the sun through the vents.

Does such an item exist?

Thanks as always. 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ordinary buff smeared with sun protection?

allthepies
    Free Member

In the buff ? Cover wide and well then 🙂

craigxxl
    Free Member

I thought they offered sun protection by the tight knit. Mine is a bog standard one and I’ve never burnt my bald head

zilog6128

yep

http://www.buffwear.co.uk/high-uv-protection-buff

shame you didn’t ask last week, they were half price on our favourite pop-up sale site!

MSP
    cinnamon_girl

Very helpful, thanks. Didn’t realise that Buff made them and spoilt for choice too.

Don’t like the idea of a cap as it won’t cover my ears.

Cheers all. 8)

cakefest
    Free Member

cinnamongirl, i have to be careful in the sun due to having radiotherapy to my face 18 months ago.

what’s your plan on countering overheating while wearing the Buff on hot sunny days?

cinnamon_girl

cakefest – my body is unable to regulate its temperature due to illness so am pretty used to dealing with extremes.

May I ask how you keep covered, it must be quite a challenge for you when riding.

40mpg

I found this stuff in Boots last weekend, which I’ll be trying when the sun comes back. Being folically challenged is a real pain, as I’ve not got enough hair to keep the sun off my scalp, but too much to simply slap on the lotion. And I get a very hot head wearing hats (or buff under a helmet).

zilog6128

what’s your plan on countering overheating while wearing the Buff on hot sunny days?

I wear a Buff in all conditions. Find it keeps you warm when it’s cold and protects against the sun plus soaks up sweat when it’s warm. Never had a problem with overheating – the material is quite thin.

Much better than a buff

Can you use it as a neck warmer or to stop you choking on bugs? Make an emergency sling out of it if you break your arm? Soak it with water and wrap it round your head/neck for really hot days? Secure a load to your rack when you’ve forgotten bungies? Use it to make you look like a pirate? 😉

cinnamon_girl

40mpg – that looks good but need to reapply every couple of hours.

epicyclo

I was riding in North Queensland for several months last year. I used an ordinary Buff under my helmet and had it a bit like a balaclava to protect my face as well.

It worked perfectly, no sunburn on my head or face despite riding for hours in the high 30ºs.

And I’ll bet you have more hair on top of your head than I do. 🙂

I avoid the use of magic potions and cover up instead.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I have to be careful in the sun due to having radiotherapy to my face neck 18 3 months ago.

Factor 50 Nivea has worked for me so far.

hainman
    Free Member

Sainsburys do a factor 50 dry spray for us peely wally folk.plus on meds that dont react well with the sun i use avon factor 50 cream for kids,its like sun block,my cheeks usually look like i have baked in an oven…

traildog
    Free Member

We the buff before wearing. This then keeps you cool. In fact, the people I know who ride in hot places always wear a buff as it has a cooling effect and protects your head (and neck) from the sun.

I wear a buff year round due to my lack of hair.

cakefest
    Free Member

cinnamongirl, i haven’t found a good solution yet. i tend to put factor50 on very regularly on longer rides with sun. i also ride with a peak on my helmet and try to keep my zip up on my jersey as long as i can bear.

but then we haven’t had much sun in the 18 months since my RT ended, so this brief sunny blast is a good time to come up with something.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Buff seem to do a High UV protection range if you look at their website. Maybe this implies that the standard Buffs have ‘low’ UV protection?

Buffs are great. I’ve used mine under my Ski helmet (very similar to my bike helmet) down to -30 degs C while skiing and my head was kept toasty warm. And on the bike in warm weather it seems to keep my head cool and protect my helmet from sweat.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Buff with SPF sun protection?’ is closed to new replies.