Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Buff under helmet in summer – do you or don't you ?
  • iainc

Having this debate witha few mates yesterday – pretty much 50/50 split. So what’s the consensus here ?

I reckon it helps keep the bonce cool as it retains moisture

Fishd

Yes, have to or I’m blinded by my sweaty bonce.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No – my head would boil

thepodge
    Free Member

I find the buff a bit too thick but I often have a thin lycra skull cap under my helmet that keeps me warm in winter and cool in summer. I look a proper tool as soon as i take my helmet off though.

craigxxl
    Free Member

First time using a Buff under the helmet last night and was surprised that it does keep your head cooler even when it’s wringing wet with sweat. I got it to stop sweat dropping onto my cycling glasses, found putting a double fold around the forehead works well.

Houns

Only in depths of winter, way too hot for any other time

iainc

as a spec wearer I agree with the benefit of it stopping the sweat dripping.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Full fat version is too hot, UV buff is fine and does seem to be cooler than without and it stops sunburnt neck.
    Also I find it easier to wash the buff than the helmet pads.

CheesybeanZ

Yes, have to or I’m blinded by my sweaty bonce.

+1

BadlyWiredDog

Mate got heat stroke doing this in southern Spain. Go figure.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Keeps of those harmful UV rays from the bald bonce.

Keeps sweat out of the eyes and off the glass.

Keeps you cooler if you are bald…

YMMV 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

How do you know the buff caused the heat stroke problem ?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Yes, keeps the sweat at bay.

trout
    Free Member

yes having just returned from a very sunny trip in the lakes the buff was a vital piece of kit
    absorbs sweat and cools the bonce

yunki
    Free Member

I should remember to more often.. I have a very thin version which keeps the sweat off and helps with coolness in bright sunshine..

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yes. Single layer, worn pirate style.

I wore one even when guiding in mid-summer 40 degree C heat in southern Spain – keeps the sun off me bonce (which helps prevent sunstroke) and stops sweat dripping down into my eyes. Stops manking up helmet pads too.

It is slightly hotter, but not noticeably so once you’re moving.

Mate got heat stroke doing this in southern Spain. Go figure.

I figure that the Buff was one possible small factor in your mate’s sunstroke.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I wear it all year now …

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I like the air flow through a well vented (or even non-existent) helmet in the summer. With anything more covering my head it gets too hot and makes me want to go to sleep.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I’ve cut a 3″ strip off the bottom of a buff and I use this as a lightweight sweat band in the summer, the top is open and my head then stays cool. Was very happy with that idea!

I’m left with a shorter buff which I can then use single layer rather than the double layer of a full buff folded back on itself.

Rob
    http://www.bigrobracing.co.uk

johnners
    Free Member

It’s cooler with a Buff than without if you’re bald or cropped. Wicks the sweat and helps it evaporate rather than just running down your face. Not sure it’d be any good if you’ve hair though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s cooler with a Buff than without if you’re bald or cropped. Wicks the sweat and helps it evaporate rather than just running down your face. Not sure it’d be any good if you’ve hair though.

True. I was running shorter hair in the heat.

iainc

Looks like more do than dont. Intetesting. Thanks

neninja
    Free Member

I think my head would explode if I wore anything under my helmet on a hot day.

xcstu
    Free Member

also wear one.. for the cold in the winter and the sweat/bugs in the summer 🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Winter only for me.

Klunk
    Free Member

always wear a buff, single knotted pirate in the summer double beanie style when it’s cooler.

Trimix
    Free Member

I have to as my eyebrows dont work, so without it i get sweat in my eyes.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Pirate-style in Summer. Soak it in cold water whenever you get the chance to keep the head cool. Works in Spain anyway.

BadlyWiredDog

How do you know the buff caused the heat stroke problem ?

Fair point – he was the only one of us wearing a Buff and the only one to suffer in the heat. On subsequent days he stopped using it and didn’t have any more issues. So circumstantial, but not encouraging.

I’m guessing the theory is that the Buff gets soaked in sweat and the evaporation of the moisture cools you rather than having an insulating effect. I wonder how wearing a helmet on top impacts on that.

crikey
    Free Member

Sometimes use a proper cotton bandana, like what them pirates do, can’t stand the drips of tepid salty sweat down my face.

bigpole
    Free Member

I wear it all year, it stops, sweat in eyes, sun on neck, insects(esp Wasps)in helmet, prevents brain freeze in winter when the air vents are a little too efective, but you do get funny looks when you take your helmet off though!

CiderRiderRich
    Free Member

Always wear a buff under my helmet – rain or shine, frost or heatwave.
    But, tried the 3″ strip of a buff thingy as noted previously, and that kept my bonce cool and the sweat out my eyes.

OCB
    Free Member

Nope – but I do always wear a cotton bandana under my helmet in summer to cover my bald spot – plus I can pull it over the tips of my ears too if I feel them catching the sun. Doesn’t seem to help me with climbing tho’ I’ve found. 😉

Autumn / Spring is buff weather, in Winter it’s often a plush winter cycling cap.

A couple o’ weeks back I bought some arm … err, ‘warmers’ for use in the sun, and they have been extraordinarily great, SPF50 protection from something you don’t know you’ve wearing.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I do the 3″ strip thing. Jonv from on here recommended it, and now I won’t go back!

iainc

I go for the pirate style all yr round

anto164
    Free Member

No, because i have hair 🙂

martinxyz
    Free Member

yeah an 8″ strip cut off and folded in half is good.On wed i used the helmet without one for the first time in years.It was just too hot.

If i dont use a buff i get helmet marks over my head that take around 2 hours to vanish.Pain in the ass.

specializedneeds

Folded over a couple of times so the top is open: works for me in Oz. Guess it depends how hot you get (how fit you are 😉 ). Extra padding between head and helmet is nice too.

uplink
    Free Member

Bandana for me

For us virile baldies, it not only keeps you cooler but prevents comical sun tan shapes on your head

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Cut off the bottom 150mm and us that in the summer great at absorbing the sweat

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Buff under helmet in summer – do you or don't you ?’ is closed to new replies.