• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tor5.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • ‘Budget’ steel frames?
  • dirkpitt74

Now that On-One/Planet-X appear to have stopped making the 456 and Inbred where’s the best place to look for something similar?

Seems that there’s a gap in the market for (dare I say it…) non-UK manufactured steel hart tail frames.

I appreciate that there are an abundance of UK made frames like Cotic, Stanton etc. but we all haven’t got £500 to spend on a frame.

Something like the 456 summer season with the slacker geometry would be a real seller I think.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Sonder transmitter from alpkit, MBR test winner and only £300 so won’t break the bank, not quite on one price though.
    Considering that or the nukeproof scout myself.

mickmcd
    Free Member

how much is budget?

superstu
    Free Member

On one still do a 26 and 29 inbred for £150, or the dee dar (650b) for £199?

dirkpitt74

Somewhere around the £200 – £250 range – similar to the On-one prices.

Yes they still have the inbred (limited stock – and slightly old geometry) and the DeeDar – although strangely when I was looking yesterday I couldn’t find it on the site – back again now…. weird!

The Marino looks interesting – wonder how much it would be after import duty and other charges though?

sv

NS Bikes Surge Evo from CRC on sale at the minute, great frame.

dirkpitt74

Like the look of that NS Surge.

Looking for a frame to build my lad a bigger bike – upgrade from his 24″ wheel. Looks like the Surge is happy on 26″ or 27.5″ rims too.

Had a look at the Marino site – can’t see anything for geometry or sizing though – just asks for a couple of numbers for wheelbase and BB drop.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Marinos website isn’t great, he mainly uses facebook and instagram. If you cant access them i can easilly send you pictures etc.

the easiest thing to do is to send him an email or facebook message. All his frames are custom geometry, so you can either come up with your own geometry like i did, or base it on a bike you allready like.

When i ordered from him, the frames was built quickly, and delivered promptly.

As he does custom frames, he can build it around 26 inch wheels, as well. I highly reccomend his frames mines been great!

dirkpitt74

@blackmountainsrider – thanks for the info – will check out FB.

How did you get on with import etc.?

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I didnt have to pay any import taxes, which was nice, i worked out it wasnt going to be much if i did have to anyway. His english is good, but not perfect. I foun it easy to order, and he still sent me pictures and kept me up to date the whole time. Mine is a full sus, and has had a decent ammount of use, riding  and racing  ‘enduro’. i havent had any problems at all with it.

tor5
    Free Member

Aren’t cotic and Staton both made in the far east? I seem to remember Stanton upped their prices after brexit because of exchange rate shocks?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘‘Budget’ steel frames?’ is closed to new replies.