Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • budget s/hand bookshelf speakers with some oomph
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m currently using some Dynaudio Audience 52s in the garage, which are ace, but way too good for the garage and they need to go back into the main house soon, so I need some bookshelf spks to replace them.

The garage needs some oomph as it’s fairly big, and I do crank it up occasionally to throw some shapes. My current spares are just not big enough (some Missions and some … Kefs i think)

Anyone have some ideas for punchy bookshelves, with 6-8 inch woofers?

I can trawl ebay to get them.
    I already run a Rel sub too, so that’s covered.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

or just some makes/models I can search for that are bigger than the usual bookshelf, but not a floorstander.

Maybe twin drivers? Although there’s not many of those I suspect.

Jakester
    Free Member

I had a set of old (vintage?) KEF bookshelf speakers I borrowed from a mate – they were lovely, and can probably be picked up pretty cheaply on eBay/Gumtree.

Eg: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Speakers/50597/i.html?_fsrp=1&_nkw=KEF&LH_PrefLoc=1&_dcat=50597&rt=nc&Brand=KEF

Otherwise, I have some Q Acoustics 2010 speakers which are pretty good:

https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2095/s/q-acoustics-2010i-compact-bookshelf-speakers-pair/category/70/

redmex
    Free Member

Aegis one maybe like a bookshelf for holding a big atlas but cracking sound

Kamakazie

What amp are you using?
    I’m assuming it has plenty of power of you are going loud, but if not, you should be looking for speakers with higher sensitivity (easier to drive loud) rather than just their physical size.
    The size will tend to help with bass but it’s not quite that straightforward.

stumpy01

How big? Bookshelf speakers vary quite a lot in size.

Something like the Kef Coda 8’s might fit the bill if you can find them on ebay or somewhere similar. I had the 9’s for a while (floorstanders) and they were really powerful sounding speakers.
    They also do smaller Kef Coda 7’s, which you’d probably find more of around.

Mission 701’s?

If you need something pretty small – Wharfedale Diamond II’s are pretty punchy for their size.
    Like these – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-Speakers-Wharfedale-Diamond-2-bookshelf-100-watts-retro-Northants/223381755970?hash=item3402971842:g:d1cAAOSw7HhcJgLe:rk:12:pf:0

Although they were only £100 new (I had a pair), so perhaps a bit over-priced.

If you are using a sub though, any decent sized bookshelf speakers would fill a garage space I’d have thought.

finishthat
    Free Member

These are both big bookshelf speakers (stupid term for them they are stand mount really)
    Kef Q60 the old ones not the AV speakers
    Roksan Rok one – can be found .

both available on ebay – depends on budget

duncancallum

Cheap cheerful warfdale diamond 9s?

slowoldman

If the budget will stand it AVI Neutrons.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve, recently, brought my old Jamo speakers back into the house as the new lounge is much bigger and can take the size of them.
    Mine are Cornet 65’s and sound ace now I’ve put them on some proper stands.
    Something like this might be good for the garage:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jamo-Cornet-145-Pair-of-Speakers/132942809236?hash=item1ef4024894:g:gr8AAOSwAQVcMkrV

welshfarmer
    jam-bo

i quite like my arcam muso’s

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers all. Will digest this later.

Amp is just a Denon mini system so no brute.

Kamakazie

I’d suggest finding something with high sensitivity then.

Your current ones aren’t very sensitive though so perhaps it isn’t volume, but bass that you are more interested in, in which case bigger cabinets and drivers might be best.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bookshelf speaker with 6-8″ woofers (oxymoron), when you have a sub?

Confused…

As implied above, sounds like you need something efficient. A small box with a big driver in it will never be efficient, as the cone needs a lot of mass to get low frequencies out.

And your sub should be handling the bass.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

garage is pretty big. Speakers need to move some air to fill it. I’ve tried my two smallish bookshelf (Mission and Kek/MS.. can’t remember) and they sounded small and localised, didn’t fill the space.

It’s not a puzzle. I just need some … we’ll call them non-floorstanders if you prefer… that have a bigger sound that a std compact bookshelf can deliver.

The Dynaudios are perfect, sure they need some driving but they are a very decent speaker. I’m happy to go for something warmer sounding too.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

okay, strange idea now…

what about running two centre speakers, as a stereo pair?

Anything obviously wrong with this?

centre speakers go for not much on ebay. If I could pick up two of the same model, I’d have basiaclly have a pair of twin-driver speakers. And mount them horizontally on the top shelf of the garage shelf.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anything obviously wrong with this?

I don’t expect they will shift much air.

To not quote KB:

Small volume, efficiency, bass extension, pick 2.

slowoldman

centre speakers go for not much on ebay. If I could pick up two of the same model, I’d have basiaclly have a pair of twin-driver speakers. And mount them horizontally on the top shelf of the garage shelf.

Twin drivers doesn’t make for more volume. You’re still driving them with the same Denon mini system amp.

stumpy01

Centre speakers are designed generally for clear speech. I wouldn’t have thought they would be particularly bassy.

I struggle to see how a pair of decent sized bookshelf speakers and a REL sub would fail to fill a garage.

A set of Kef Coda 8s, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, B&W DM602s etc. should be ample.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘budget s/hand bookshelf speakers with some oomph’ is closed to new replies.