Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • budget of £1500 ..what big single trail bike? (road legal)
  • kaiser
    Free Member

looking for an ultra reliable big single and have narrowed it down to an XT600 or Dommie. Any others I should consider? used to have a DR600 which i rode to greece and loved but hated the kick start only .
    thanks for your input.
    bill

gusamc
    Free Member

MZ did something with the yam engine – baghira ??

I had a dr350 – which I rate above the others but my aim was trail use with roads between.

ccm now have suzi engine I believe
    FMX honda go quite low (but are supermotos)

being a short arse I loved serow ……

fontmoss
    Free Member

this is how others must feel when i start talking about push bikes

Hairychested
    Free Member

MZ went bust some time ago. Africa Twin perhaps?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

May I be sceptic? £1500 and ultras reliable? – maybe not.

XTs have a very good reputation however. Dommies are not trail bikes but trail styled bikes.

Are you actually looking to go off-road or just fancy the style?

kaiser
    Free Member

TJ
    afaik Xt's are available regularly 2nd hand for sub 1.5k and are supposedly v.reliable
    Dommies actually peform quite well off rd I'm led to believe ( as far as the compromise will allow)
    It will be used mainly on road but love being able to go into the woods sort of thing. the Dr was capable of 500 miles a day and a bit of gentle roughstuff too. Otherwise what would you suggest?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kaiser
    XT be your best bet I guess – unless you want the off the wall option of an enfield?

Northwind

Apart from not being a single, the Africa Twin would make sense, there's about a million of them out there and they never die. , or what's the yamaha, tenere?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Easy. Go CCM. up to 02 they had Rotax engines.ie the 604 model. after that they used the DR650 motor (644). Touch more civilised but maybe to bland. Get a good Rotax for 1500 or even a reasonable 644. all availible in a variety of specs including road wheels if thats your thing. Failing that plenty of XT 600s out there of a variety of ages.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BMW singles will be down to that sort of price now I think – softer / more comfy / more reliable option – and the offroad ones are reasonably capable I believe

Pigface
    Free Member

See if FC Trott motorcycles have anything. I have had 4 Teneres and all were great. If you want both lecky and kick start XL Hondas or Yam XT's are your only choice. You can learn to live with a kick only, practice makes perfect and there is a knack to it.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ooops Klr may fit the bill and if you want exotic the Italians offer you the Apprila or a Gilera 😯 run for your life.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘budget of £1500 ..what big single trail bike? (road legal)’ is closed to new replies.