Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Budget/mid spec gravel bike
  • marksnook
    Free Member

Ran a lot more last year than I rode bikes, I’ve got the love for bikes back again but I want to continue working at my run training while re-building my riding fitness.
    So I’m thinking gravel bike as I could commute a little on it, ride it to some local running events, run, then ride home.
    Did a couple bike pack nights on my hardtail last year (bfemax) and while it worked just fine for local ish stuff it wasn’t ideal on tarmac! Gravel I assume could take over where it’s more road/easy off road.
    So gravel sort of ticks all those boxes while enabling me to ride with my mates that do a gravel day every few weeks

Popped into alpkit today, Camino looks great and isn’t massively budget breaking. Was thinking 1k ish. Cycle to work isn’t an option as I’m self employed.
    Gravel mates have said definitely clutch mech, also hydraulic brakes. Is a Camino the answer or is there better for the cash?

roger_mellie

Boardman ADV 8.9?

Vitus Substance?

Ribble Gravel AL?

marksnook
    Free Member

I have been looking at cheaper bikes like Cannondale top stone 4, Marin nicasio,
    Some
    Of the cheaper vitus substance bikes. Think they would do what I want but because I’ve no idea what I’m looking at my lack of knowledge stresses me out!
    Will cable brakes be fine for most situations? The clutch mech thing I get as that bouncing off road would be annoying!
    Just seen a nukeproof digger for the same price as the Camino. Ah I hate all this 😂

phil5556

I love my Camino, I’d buy another one. It’s my first venture into anything other than MTBs so I’m not the best authority on these things. Compared to my wife’s Topstone 1 (which was about £500 more) it’s been faultless, she’s had a few niggles.

There’s some info here too, note comments about gearing (not Camino specific) depending on where you’re going to ride it

What gravel bike….2-2.5k 🔥🤦‍♂️

phil5556

Oh and Alpkit have some ex demo Caminos for sale apparently too.

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah I got the email about ex demo bikes but I’m firmly in the medium range and there weren’t any in that size.
    This is my first non mtb. Sitting on the medium Camino felt alright but I’ve no basis for comparison!

Terrain will be local around Dursley/Gloucester, some fod, some random commutes. There are a couple tours planned for late summer. King Alfred way. Local climbs are generally steep grinds on the mtb. I am confused about gravel gearing. All the 1x I look at have 42t ish front ring! That seems so big!
    Will get a read of that thread. I dodged it at first as it was all way above my budget!

bikerevivesheffield

Kona rove al

poah
    Free Member

checkout CRC for bikes.

hopefiendboy

Evans cycles have cannondale topstones in stock for around your budget. Go for a double on the front for greater range in and off road! Let us know what you end up going for! GLHF!

superstu
    Free Member

I have a Camino, grx 1 x and although I was very nervous to begin with, gearing manages to get me up and down Devon hills.

Have had drop bar bikes with cable discs and hydraulic. Would prioritise hydros as they’re noticeably less faff, and all the power on tap. I’d not go back to cables.

If I were looking again, I’d buy a Camino, also think the digger looks good.

chakaping
    Free Member

As above, hold out for hydro brakes.

I have the Boardman 8.9 myself, it’s really good and the frame is not a compromise at all. I think they’ve got it just right.

dogbone

I got a Vitus for £1050 in the sale. I wanted Shimano gears, hydros and 2x. Very pleased.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-substance-vr-2-gravel-bike-grx-400-/rp-prod206120

Sign up for the Planet X newsletter. They have being selling off bikes at £1000, including the Rujo. Usually just 20 at a time.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/gravel-adventure-bikes/on-one-rujo

rOcKeTdOg

Terrain will be local around Dursley/Gloucester, some fod

Camino is a great shout as it has proper UK mud clearance and is a very neutral handling bike. You’ll start off on tame fire road stuff then experiment on MTB trails so handling and mud clearance is ideal. Deffo clutch mech(so no road groupsets) and hydraulic brakes are so much more powerful and easier to maintain. GRX has a much better ergonomicly designed lever for using on hoods and drops compared to SRAM so go for Shimano if you can.
    Camino will also fit a dropper which is great for exploring unknown trails as they can get you out of trouble and opens up much more rowdy riding which you will do as you progress

tthew

When  I was asking similar,  I was told the Topstone is at the roadie end of the spectrum. Might be better choices for your bikepacking adventures.

I picked up a nice Bordman ADV 8.9 which I’m very pleased with.

jameso

Just for balance Mark I’m based near to you and have ridden KAW full and sections etc on both gravel and MTBs. FWIW.. If you’re wanting to go bikepacking as well as road riding, consider 650B tyres. They won’t be right if you want a road-bike like feel most of the time but they’re much better off-road and when carrying a load. Also can be great for long road rides. I use a 650B bike this time of year for all my road riding and base miles, it’s just comfier and better suited to the back roads.
    Hydros are nice to have but I’m on cable brakes, have been for a long time and when set up well they’re great – even on the hills we have here. The main reason I use them is for brake and shift lever freedom. On a complete bike you don’t need to worry about that so much but don’t be put off an otherwise ideal bike that has cable brakes, as long as you’re ok with how to keep them running well. ime BB7s can feel 90% as good as hydros for the braking ability a gravel bike needs, Spyres are pretty good too with Shimano resin pads fitted but do need more regular pad clearance adjustment.
    1X makes no sense to me on bikes like this. For steep road hills, off-road climbs and loaded bikepacking you’ll need low gears, for brisk road riding you want a 44×11 or similar/larger top and on road the jumps between gears on 1X get on my wick (I’m fine with them off-road). A good 2X gives range, decent gaps and has enough chain stability for road and off-road. 1X systems are primarily about MTB chain retention but ime 2X with clutch mech is not a problem here. I’m not saying avoid 1X, just that it’s an alternative rather than the ideal and it can be a negative on what should be a very wide-ranging bike.

marksnook
    Free Member

@jameso that’s my thinking. Mtb is 32t/51t and I struggle to get up some of the steeper local climbs. Gravel 1x being 42t/36t I can’t see how I will have the power pedal it up steep climbs! Especially loaded up.
    Which is annoying as the Camino with rival1 was looking like the easy option!

Originally a genesis cda 30 came up for reasonable money. Then all the hydraulic brakes chat started happening and blinded me with too much info! In fairness my main aim of this bike is to train a little and ride it to running events and some touring. If it’s proper off road I’m likely to be on a mountain bike. So maybe I’m over thinking it?! Which is a surprise 😂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve got cable brakes on my Genesis and they do a good enough job. Compared to a MTB it’s the lever shape and position that I struggle with but I haven’t had a drop bar bike for over 30 years. I saw a nice looking Jamis in Go Outdoors yesterday which had a good chunk of money off didn’t look to closely as I bought a 2nd hand Genesis not long ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.