budget-ish full sus.. not calibre (why inside!)

Home Forum Bike Forum budget-ish full sus.. not calibre (why inside!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • budget-ish full sus.. not calibre (why inside!)
  • Premier Icon canopy

background. due to littleun slowed down how much i’m riding my santa cruz superlight in the last year. (26er with the newer style rear triangle). its a great bike, dropper, 3×9, as said 26 and not slack enough for some descents.. . i’d like something a little more playful. age is taking a toll and i think a major issue is round the corner.. esp with the forks.. as i’;m riding less i’ve decided that its not worth upgrading ‘because i can’ – but to wait until i need to buy a new bike.. you know 😉

i just got back from go outdoors, i figured i’d see what a triple b and a bossnut evo are like. i had a go on a vitus sommet (small, not sure how old, its black..)  at the weekend and am a bit intrigued. very disappointed in the bossnut evo  after all the hype, after riding it the inside of the local store. i found out 1) the standover height on the smalllest avail gents model (which i’ was told is a 17.5 / M)  was pretty darn high, – I’m 5 ft 7.and for such a ‘large’ feeling frame.there was bugger all reach, felt very cramped…wouldnt like to be going down something steep on one.

so what are my options when the time comes for a lowish travel, playful steed that will go up hills ok too. 1500 target with some wiggle room on the upside.(and as i’m of shorter stature and more of a xc/trail rider 650b). something i can try in a shop.

for example, the recent marin hawk hill piqued my interest a a while ago, but on one sells them near here.

Premier Icon toblerone1

Interesting thread, I’m going to have a look at a Bossnut tomorrow myself. The standover does look high.

Having said that, there are also plenty of 2018 bargains starting to appear as the ’19 models arrive.

The Whyte T130SR is that other bike on my radar, but I need to save some more pennies… 🙂

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

This is going to sound condescending so apologies in advance but, are you sure it was a short bike, not just odd feeling?

I pulled the geo chart for both and assuming you had an 07-13 model superlight the reach on that works out at 397mm for a size medium (sc published 419 but it doesn’t work with the other numbers). The bossnut evo gives a reach of 429 (they don’t give enough detail to check that but with a few conservative assumptions its not unreasonable.)

I’d guess the shortness is a result of having a much shorter stem (your sc will i guess have a 100mm or so given it’s an xc bike of a certain vintage) rather than it being a short bike.

The bossnut definitely looks tall though.

In answer to your question though the Boardman range are the obvious next step to go look at.

Premier Icon canopy

maybe… i’ve got wider bars, iirc 660mm (easton monkey lite xc).. and a 75mm stem on the SC / SL.which is a 2009 frame.. prev owner had it built up in 2010.

mark90

If you can stretch your budget there seems to be discounts available on the T130, a friend recently bought one and I hear there’s more to be knocked off now.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

If you can and haven’t already I’d suggest getting a proper ride in with something (anything) with more modern geometry. Coming from a 26″ 09 140mm travel bike i found it horrid the first time i got my legover (ooo-er) something newer a few years back as the body position was very different.

One result of that was i ended up getting the wrong sized bike as i tried to replicate the size and feel of the old one on the new. As a riding position it was great, as a using the bike position it was lousy.

Premier Icon dirkpitt74
    Subscriber

If it was my money, I’d join British Cycling and get the 10% off this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-sommet-suspension-bike-deore-1×10-2018/rp-prod159783

Will bring it down close to the £1.5k, yes it’s only 1×10 (not that it should be a problem) the rest of the spec is cracking.

The bossnut evo is available in a 15.5 inch small as well as the medium might be worth a try.

The bossnut evo is available in a 15.5 inch small as well as the medium might be worth a try.

Edit.didnt read that you thought the medium was too short.ive a medium santa cruz and the medium evo feels similar if not a bit longer.my mates 5’10 and loves his medium bossnut.ask your local go outdoors if you can try it with a seat post with a bit of layback off another one of there bikes most of the bikes they sell are 30.9 seat post so something will fit this may make it feel more roomy.

Premier Icon canopy

kiddy in go outdoors told me the only S was the womens model.. ?   unless he meant thats all they had

btw. i will want a dropper again, so laybacks are out 🙂

i agree, its hard to get a feel for a bike from a spin around the tents in go outdoors.. i joked that there should be some small ramps.. like they have for people trying hiking boots

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

You could buy Nobby’s carbon Anthem and have some change for the dropper.  He’s got short legs too so it could be right for you:

FS: Anthem Advanced 27.5 & Towbar Carriers

Premier Icon dirkpitt74
    Subscriber

The Vitus has a dropper.

Premier Icon toblerone1

So i popped into Go Outdoors earlier and tried out a Medium Bossnut Evo for size. At 5ft 9 the medium was spot on for me and the bike had plenty of standover top tube clearance.

The salesperson in the Reading store had good knowledge of the MTB scene too seemingly as he was aware of the other options I was looking into.

I have to say its a strong contender, as already mentioned elsewhere its cracking value.

Premier Icon canopy

I actually got to try one of hawk hills i mentioned above, worlds apart and felt bang on – am ordering a marin later this week 🙂

Premier Icon canopy

and i’m back… as i was on holiday i ordered my new bike last weds, back to work today and it turned up.

instead of a hawk hill which retails for 1300 but can be had in some sales now for about a grand i decided to plump the 1300 quid (plus pedals) on one of these, reduced from 1800 quid.. as it includes a dropper and 1×11.. bit of a change. a quick blast around the car park is all i’ve done so far (a marin b-17 1). feels lovely even with a rough setup. cockpit controls need some tweaks, as do tyre pressues (i got a topeak digital gauge when i got pedals + spare tubes)

https://www.marinbikes.com/bike-archive/bikes/2018-b-17-1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.