• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by kid.a.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Budget hard tail – Vitus Sentier 29 VR
  • catdras
    Free Member

Hi chaps, I’ve been given the okay to buy a new bike once the gardens done.

I would love something like a Stanton or Cotic but can’t justify spending £2k on something that just isn’t going to get a lot of use.

I was riding to work doing a 13 mile round trip. Because of a job change this is no longer an option so I’m planning on doing the majority of my riding on Zwift. This to keep me in shape and get the riding fix. The MTB will be used for mornings/days away every other weekend or so.

With this in mind I feel a sensible amount to spend is around a grand. Looking around at different brands the Vitus seems incredible value for money.

The question I have is are they? Is there anything better around the same sort of price? I know I want a 29er having had a 27.5 a few years ago.
    Ordering from CRC means I can’t sit on one so what’s the best way to see if it fits? I’m 6’2″ so large will probably be fine?

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-sentier-29-vr-mountain-bike-slx-1×11-2019/rp-prod173162

kerley
    Free Member

The question I have is are they? Is there anything better around the same sort of price?

Nope. You can get Whyte, Cannondale etc, for around the price but they don’t have SLX, and half decent rims, tyres.

joebristol

Vitus are generally great value for money – you really need to find other brands in big sales to get close for the money.

I’m not sure in terms of spec how the Calibre Line10 compares or whether they make a more expensive model with a better spec – I think they’re about £750.

I bought a Vitus Sentier Vrx+ frame only (27.5” wheels instead of the 29er) and built it up from a variety of bits – some I already had (wheels / stem / saddle / bars / tyres / pedals), some secondhand (Rockshox Pike from eBay) and some new (sram GX 11 speed drivetrain / headset / cranks / BB / dropper).

It would probably add up to around £1500 but it’s just such a fun bike to ride. It manuals and pops off trail features easily, pedals well, climbs well, and is amazing on corners. Other than missing a fancy brand name on the downtube it’s near perfect.

ta11pau1

At your height you’re right between L and XL size, go for the XL if you want something more stable and faster in a straight line, or the L for something more playful.

I would have said try and stretch to the VRS for another £250 but that’s only in 27.5 wheel size.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

I have a 2017 vr and it’s outstanding.very capable on the steep technical trails and climbs great too.
    It’s not the longest bike but it’s very playful so size up to the xl if your riding is more Sherwood pines rather than stainburn forest.
    The quality of the frame is also fantastic even the paint has held up better than the reviewers suggest but I did 3m protect this and it’s still looking good .
    They get everything right about these from spec to geometry nothing needs changing .even the tyres are absolutely top notch .I use it as a winter bike for getting covered in crap and it’s never missed a beat .

locum76
    Free Member

The one you sent the link for is what I aspire to. I love my Kona but I got it at a £500 down from £800.

locum76
    Free Member

…I’m a one bike kind of guy.

locum76
    Free Member

…I’m 6’6″ and defo need an XL.

mrb123
    Free Member

Orange Clockwork worth a look too.

mav12
    Free Member

i love mine have an xl. i’m 6ft 5. i have the 27.5 plus version .climbs well is very stable feels quick , i converted to tubeless added a dropper , it is a long bike , which is what i wanted , maybe if you stated your location you may find someone close who will let you try thiers, there’s also a vitus fb group which may help

FOG

I have the electric version which once I had got over the novelty of assistance impressed me as to what a good bike it is. Handles very well up and down and great value

catdras
    Free Member

Thanks the replies. Glad that Vitus is generally well thought of.

Seriously tempted by the VRS though. 27.5 at 2.6″ doesn’t seem like it’d be that far off 29 at 2.35″. I like that it comes with a dropper and SRAM bits.

ta11pau1

The fork alone is a huge upgrade, the relevation has the same chassis as the pike, so much stiffer and it’ll take the pike dampers etc so room for upgrading at a later date.

That, and NX eagle, and the dropper easily equal the extra £260 – for me, semi-plus size tyres are the way to go on an hardtail, they’ll give a bit more cushion and will have loads of grip.

plus-one

Yes the Vitus bikes are great value and are very well finished frames 🙂

And that red/grey finish on vrs is lovely!!

joebristol

The VRS model looks well worth the extra money unless you’re 100% set on 29” wheels. I’ve not run plus tyres – although I have the frame to I’m running with normal (2.3” ish) size tyres personally.

kid.a
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″, I have 2018 Sentier VRS, XL fit’s perfectly.

I love this bike BTW. 100% recommend

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Budget hard tail – Vitus Sentier 29 VR’ is closed to new replies.