• This topic has 67 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Budget Day!
  • frankconway

Time to rub your crystal ball and see what becomes visible as the swirling mist settles.
    Anyone think Hammond’s speech may make them better off?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyone think Hammond’s speech may make them better off?

Less worse off?

Will the punchline be and the full cost of delivering brexit will be, I’m not sure how safe he feels with all those tories behind him

AlexSimon

Do they even mean anything these days? I always thought as a kid they were cast in stone.
    Now they seem to throw things out straight afterwards.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woody2000

Diesel up
    Petrol Up (but less than diesel)
    Booze Up
    Fags Up
    Promises made to extract more tax from Big Business and borrowing more based on that assumption to fund some feel good rises in public spending.
    Probably some token tax cuts
    Some mention of Brexit

Hammond probably sacked afterwards 🙂

binners

£350 million a week extra for the NHS?

I’m pretty certain that will be in there! I saw it on the side of a bus

woody2000

This bus binners?

P-Jay
    Free Member

binners – Member
    £350 million a week extra for the NHS?

I’m pretty certain that will be in there! I saw it on the side of a bus

Sadly the first two years worth will be taken up paying the EU £40bn to maintain a worse trading position than we have now.

Budget will reflect the cost of that (or rather the extra interest payments on borrowing it).

I wonder how the markets, GDP projections, and national credit ratings would be effected if May stood before No10 and said “jobs ****, we can’t do it – lets pretend it never happened eh?”.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Time to buy some stirling after then?

woody2000

Well, buying land in Scotland might not be a bad idea…..

😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Sadly the first two years worth will be taken up paying the EU £40bn to maintain a worse trading position than we have now.

🙁 My mother-in-law and father-in-law (after staunchly supporting and voting for Brexit) now refuse to discuss how they now feel about their choice to vote for it and leave the country in a god-awful mess for the foreseeable. 🙁

binners

Whatever he does, he’ll do it safe in the knowledge that the people sat behind him would all happily knife him in the back, and are all willing him to fail

Seeing as its the one day you’re allowed to drink at the despatch box, I’d like to see him rock up with a 2-litre bottle of White Lightning, periodically take a huge swig of it, then turn round and call Gove and Boris a pair of ****s! 😀

wwaswas

He’s stuck in traffic on Whitehall, proceedings may be delayed.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We were always going to have to pay a divorce bill. The point is trying to extract something in return rather than just handing over a wad of cash for nothing in return. That’s negotiations for anyone who’s ever been involved in negotiation,it’s an obvious tactic. The EU know they’re screwed without our cash, we want a half decent trade deal, they want us to pay the bill without giving anything up to neutralise our advantage, we want to hold onto and leverage our advantage as long as possible and only agree to pay if we’re getting something in return like a decent trade deal, and prepared to pay a premium to get it – better to pay a one-off bill than pay into an open ended annual fee.

It’s really pretty simple at the end of the day. No trade deal, no divorce payment and we’ll see you in court and our legal liabilities to the EU are half a percent of sweet FA. But in that scenario there are no winners as the EU will be screwed and even the most hardened tory brexiteer doesn’t want that.

The budget will be crap by the way. Hammond has no manoeuvring room at all. It’ll be light tweaks here and there, some minor losers, some minor winners, grasping at some low hanging fruit, like the diesel tax. The overall net situation will be unchanged so just a case of shuffling the deckchairs around. Until Brexit happens and we know what the landscape looks like we can’t and shouldn’t make any radical changes at this time.

wwaswas

We were always going to have to pay a divorce bill… just handing over a wad of cash for nothing in return.

that’s pretty much what a divorce bill is for a lot of people!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not expecting that much in the budget. End of public sector pay cap ? Will be a bit of a damp squib really IMO in terms of taxes and spending. Much talk about a technological future though which is hardly new.

It’s the EU’s position that that is the money we owe for having been members but hadn’t paid yet. It’s not a divorce bill but the real cost of being a member which is much higher than the £363m a week we send them. I am with Gove in that £110m a week should have been announced for the NHS as soon as we triggered A50 with the rest to follow in April 2020 (paid for via increased tariff income both from RoW and EU)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I am with Gove in that £110m a week should have been announced for the NHS as soon as we triggered A50 with the rest to follow in April 2020 (paid for via increased tariff income both from RoW and EU)

Tariffs are paid by the consumer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nobody really cares about the budget these days, there is less manure to move around someone else’s desk and claim it’s “new” money when it’s been proven for 10year+ that it’s all lies and deceit, penny posturing and political “if it wasn’t for the previous incumbent…..” horsecrap.

As far Brexit goes he’s in a very peculiar situation, knowing any tax rises between now and then will be met with anger, whilst preparing to fill a deficit to pay the EU off to gain less control and the U.K. succumbing to arbitrarily trade deals and increased prices.
    Tax and Spend seems less onerous a choice compared with the financial trench we face, loss of jobs and companies escaping the U.K. without the governments current backhanded deals already made with car manufacturers and energy suppliers.

So I think he will provide nothing more than a sheet of A4 with fancy gold leaf edging with a picture of a pirate and a map and an X marks the spot on an island surrounded by sharks.

binners

It’d be great if he delivered the speech dressed like a pirate. If I was chancellor, I would. While swigging out of a can of Stella

GrahamS

We were always going to have to pay a divorce bill.

Conveniently ignoring all the times we were told we wouldn’t have to pay a penny:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/04/britain-will-not-have-pay-penny-leave-european-union-say-peers/

And Boris Johnson famously saying they can “go whistle”.

https://www.ft.com/content/a0e25381-e85b-3572-baf2-3acf9aeba52a

But yes it will be interesting to see how the Budget looks given they need to set aside an undisclosed but large amount for the divorce bill and there is no magic money tree.

frankconway

Binners – love your image of Hammond swigging from a 2ltr white lightning 😀
    Subject for a new piece piece of art from your pen?

Kryton57

Well, we are still in too much debt and GDP is revised down again.

Squeezed middle except moreso, going to be a tough couple of years as everything gets more expensive. Not a good time to be working in Public Sales sales eh…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Here we go

Brexit
    £3bn to be set aside over next two years to prepare UK for every possible outcome as it leaves EU

That is just for the planning – so how much is that a week for the NHS?
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-42056452

scotroutes

Vehicle excise duty for diesel cars that do not meet latest standards to rise by one band in April 2018
    Tax hike will not apply to van owners

Get it right up ye!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well smack me around the head with a Whitby Kipper…

He’s just announced £350m to be invested in the old Tata Steel works at Redcar, for economic development..

This had better be real money and not some half arsed fag packet innuendo..

😯

footflaps

Brexit
    £3bn to be set aside over next two years to prepare UK for every possible outcome as it leaves EU

Probably about 1/100th of the actual cost…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll take the Brexit comments over to that thread rather than derail this one, but it’s a nice list of what you could spend 3bn on there…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So back on the budget, from the BBC summary, lots of spending (magic few bn for the NHS there) among other things, tax bands to go up, freeze on a lot of taxes etc etc. now I’m sure many would be lining up to shout Commie Bastard if the other side had promised lots with no clear way of paying for them so where has this cash come from? How is it suddenly available? Why wasn’t it being spent before or have we just shuffled the deck and not mentioned the cuts….

jimdubleyou

Binners – love your image of Hammond swigging from a 2ltr white lightning

Tax up 2p/litre

Dickyboy

No stamp duty for first time buyers up to £300k

Won’t this just up the house prices like help to buy?

nickhit3
    Free Member

Canning stamp duty is a nice incentive for first time buyers. I was one 12 months ago. Wish I could get those thousands back.. wish also, they’d do something about the ground rent scam. F all about that since the review concluded.

frankconway

Looking forward to analyses from the number crunchers supported by a close reading of the small print.

Jezza sounds emotional and about to burst into tears.

For a politico some of Hammond’s quips were amusing.

nathb
    Free Member

When does the new stamp duty take effect from?

First time buyer within the 300-500 bracket, Exchanged a couple of weeks ago but only due to complete on 8th December. Would be amazing if it was effectively immediately!! 😆

https://www.stampdutycalculator.org.uk/stamp-duty-changes.htm

Has crashed 😆

jimdubleyou

For a politico some of Hammond’s quips were amusing.

Jeremy being snubbed by Hammond & May raised a titter here.

Kryton57

How is it suddenly available?

Well for one, Public sector budgets will still be cut on the basis of the prior plans. Nothing new need be announced it was already in place.

Extra Road fund licence? Booze tax? Plastic Tax (watch out celebrities)? Basically everything you use and consume taxed a little more every year.

jimdubleyou

@nathb from BBC news:

BREAKING Stamp duty scrapped for first-time buyers
    In what is probably the eyecatching announcement of the Budget, tirst-time homebuyers will no longer have to pay stamp duty for properties of up to £300,000.

The chancellor announces he is abolishing the charge from today.

oikeith

Won’t this just up the house prices like help to buy?

It would be quite silly if it did, I would assume FTB’s are a small portion of all home buys?

Kryton57

In what is probably the eyecatching announcement of the Budget, tirst-time homebuyers will no longer have to pay stamp duty for properties of up to £300,000.
    The chancellor announces he is abolishing the charge from today.

How many FTB’s can afford this nowadays? Surely the smallest giveaway ever.

bruneep

Home many 1st time buyers are buying properties upto £300K, Scottish threshold was £145K.

fifeandy
    Free Member

where has this cash come from? How is it suddenly available?

He’s got whatever the interest payments on £8.4bn would have been to play with. Although very much agree with the sentiment, it would be nice if budgets gave more detail on the impact it has in the overall balance sheet.

Annual borrowing £49.9bn this year, £8.4bn lower than forecast in March

nickhit3
    Free Member

Home many 1st time buyers are buying properties upto £300K, Scottish threshold was £145K.

ours was 242k, 15 months ago. HTB limit was 250k iirc, that equity loan helped us over the line including help from family.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Budget Day!’ is closed to new replies.