Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Budget 9 speed rear derailleurs for MTB commuter
  • sirromj
    Free Member

What are you using?

Ideally I’d get an Deore XT for £46 from CRC but those days long gone!

Shimano Shadow desirable. 11-36 range is fine. 1x so no need for long cage.

Deore M592 for £47 not too bad really I suppose.

SRAM X5 for £42 better price and increased range should I want it, but bit of a Shimano boy, will it work even with a Deore 9spd shifter?

Or Altus off e-bay for £13!

Anything else I’m missing, any cheap road derailleurs – Halfords have a Shimano RD-R3000 Sora GS for £33 – 36t max.

kimbers

For comuting the altus would be absolutely fine, I guess you’re paying for the clutch

I seriously doubt you’d be able to tell a difference in a blind test with the same shifter

sirromj
    Free Member

Just concerned the Altus won’t be up to the abuse and quickly lose reliability. Any experience with them?

cookeaa

I’m currently stretching a 3400 Sora across an 11-36 cassette on my gravel bike.

It’s managing it ok but the 36t is a stretch, I’d suggest an MTB mech, tail end deore or LX 9speed. They actually have longer parallelograms than later generation 9/10 speed road mechs.

eBay has old mechs galore still but you’ll want to give them a good going over, be sure you’re not buying a bent one and probably budget for a fresh set of jockey wheels.

jwildcard
    Free Member

Beware on the altus as I lot I have seen sub £15 are not genuine. I have seen a lot for that price and it seems that version is widely copied unfortunately. I was after one a while ago but luckily managed to get a different version but yes they can be expensive even second hand nowadays.

andrewh
    Free Member

SRAM X5 for £42 better price and increased range should I want it, but bit of a Shimano boy, will it work even with a Deore 9spd shifter?

No.
    Chain and cassette will be fine but new shifter required for that mech

IHN

Just concerned the Altus won’t be up to the abuse and quickly lose reliability.

Genuinely, what abuse? It’s only commuting, not the Paris Dakar. It’ll be fine (assuming it’s a real one). I’d just get an old Deore/SLX/XT MTB one from eBay, they’ll just about stretch to 11/36, or see if anyone on here has one in a spares box (I’ve checked, I thought I might, but I haven’t)

bigginge

Think I bought a 9 speed Ultegra one, from Facebook, for £15 last year. Apart from needing a strip to add some grease it’s been faultless running on littleginge’s bike ever since.

Edit: this is running on an 11-34 cassette, I think, rather than going up to a 36 tooth but I’d be surprised if it didn’t stretch to the extra two teeth.

slowol

I’ve had an Altus on my do everything bike for years (long enough that the middle section only has the letters Al on it and the rest has a nice brown patina of surface rust). Works fine on a 12 to 36 8 speed cassette. I don’t have any indexing on the thumbshifter though as it’s an old suntour one so can’t comment on indexing reliability. My wife’s hybrid has Altus 9 speed on trigger shifters and I haven’t had to adjust it for about 8 years. Although that bike gets less use it just keeps working fine even after regular spells of months in the garage unloved.
    Generally seems to work the same as the 9 speed XT one on one of my other bikes, just heavier.

rents
    Free Member

I have a 9spd sram XO set up in my box of bits that works very well. Make me an offer 👍

cynic-al

A legit Altus should be fine.

sirromj
    Free Member

Genuinely, what abuse? It’s only commuting, not the Paris Dakar. I

Same sort of abuse as components on an XC bike I guess. I like a bit of fun on the commutes so it just needs to be resistant to a few minor knocks and scrapes.

That Alivo could be the one. Thanks.

wzzzz
    Free Member

The cheapo ebay ones are not genuine, carefully worded adverts – I bought one and I got a an all black derailleur that was obviously poor quality.

I bought lots from this seller before and its all genuine stuff:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32825804795.html

kayla1
    Free Member

That Alivo could be the one. Thanks.

You’re welcome!

cookeaa

Hows about going off-brand and trying a Microshift “Mezzo”?:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/microshift-mezzo-rd-m36-8-9-speed-rear-derailleur/rp-prod204944

Looks nice and cheap at about half the price of an alivio(ish), seems to be made mostly from plastic (won’t rust at much maybe), says it’ll reach a 36t sprocket and work with shimano 8/9speed…

They do an even cheaper one the ‘M26’ but that only says it’ll stretch to a 34t (I bet it can be pushed a bit further) for about £12…

sirromj
    Free Member

Just found the Alivo M3100 for £25 on Decathlon. Gone with that, and Microshift cassette from CRC.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.