Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Budapest! Talk to me about it.
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Going to Budapest for wedding anniversary.

Got 3 nights.

Please can I have your recommendations for good food and drinking, hotels – small and quirky is best, and stuff to see.

Thanks!

willard

I was only there briefly on the way to Lake Balaton (worth a visit if the weather is nice and only an hour away by car. Also home to https://skydivebalaton.com/en/ – which I recommend), but it seemed like a nice, modern, european city. A mate on the same trip had a river cruise thing which he said was really good.

Edit- Take Euros. You will end up with local change, but people like euros.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

The lidos are fascinating beautiful places to swim or just visit , the food market is interesting two . Its not the biggest or most riveting place for me but some of the architecture by the river is pretty cool

tthew

Sizmpla Kert is certainly quirky for drinks!
    szimpla Kert

bar

globalti
    Free Member

This comes up every few weeks so doing a search on here will find you lots of suggestions. It’s a great city and my own recommendation would be to take half a day to visit the Gellert baths. Depending on the time of year, the actual Gellert hotel is an amazingly historic place to stay but only when the weather is cool as there’s no AC.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

There have been many threads but Szimpla Kert, Kuplung, A38, the note bar or whatever it may be called, the Labyrinth/Dracula cave while you’re up in the castle region, go up the funicular, museum of terror, Szechenyi baths are my personal favourite and definitely eat upstairs in the market. St Stephens day in August is fantastic with loads of stuff going on along the Danube.

Eat plenty of langos and drink plenty of palinka, the local Borsodi and Soproni beers are dirt cheap.

andypaul
    Free Member

Edit- Take Euros. You will end up with local change, but people like euros.

but get a currency conversion app as some places will rip you off especially the food stalls in Margaret Island.

It is a brilliant City though overall definately one of the best in Europe.

jimdubleyou

Szechenyi baths+1

Fausto’s for a slap up anniversary meal and Old Mans music pub for live music …

…if either of them are still going

+ that search box on the forum main page 😛

Bregante

We went in June this year for my 50th and loved it (also went for three nights)

We stayed at the Hotel Continental which is in the Jewish Quarter so handy for Szimpla Kert and lots of other ruin bars but a decent walk (or 5-10 minutes bus ride) into the main part of town.

Dohany Street Synagogue is the largest in Europe and definitely worth a visit and the one hour tour was thought provoking for somebody who knew nothing of the history of Budapest.

szecheny baths (Gellert baths were partially closed for renovation when we were there), The Market, Margaret Island (great open air pizza place there), Fisherman’s Bastion and the castle (take the funicular). Loads to do.

toby1

Stayed at the top of the Pest side in the midst of a heatwave, climbing the hill each night to get home was hard work! Not the cities fault though and the riverside popup bar always helped with the climb up after the chain bridge.

Lovely city, would happily go back. We stopped in the Gresham hotel for a cocktail or 2, and the cast of Spy were in the bar having a drink which was nice.

My only recommendation would be to go midweek or take posh flights otherwise you’ll be bundled in with the stag dos wearing the same clothes on the way home as they did on the way out and barely able to stand long enough to board a plane let alone anything else!

Robz
    Free Member

For food – Fausto’s and Borkonyha Wine Kitchen are amazing.

Alabardos is also very good in a slightly mad kind of way.

kennyp
    Free Member

The outdoor baths are great. Real Budapest institutions. However don’t make the mistake I did of accepting one of the old blokes invitations to play chess. I lasted about 15 minutes tops.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Corso is a nice place to relax with a beer near the river.

Some of the Ruin bars are amazing at night.

budadav
    Free Member

Not being snarky – just easier than writing it out again!… I used to live there and know it well – scroll to the bottom of this thread for my suggestions

Things to do with daughter in Budapest (and places to eat)

Feel free to PM if you’ve questions

Cletus

I did a month working in Budapest a few years ago and loved it. Baths are good and Langos at the food market is a must.

My highlight was going see Honved play (homage to Half Man Half Biscuit’s “I was a teenage armchair Honved Fan”).

Great game that ended 3-2 with Honved going behind twice and scoring the winner in the last minute – drinking copious amounts of beer whilst in the stand did add to the experience 🙂

Sandwich

Don’t go for a boat ride on the Danube if Viking are moving their boats around.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Budapest! Talk to me about it.’ is closed to new replies.