Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Bucks Off Road Sportive roll call….
  • MountainMutant
    Free Member

Me and three friends doing the long route on hardtails. Me on a Hummer. Tempting to go rigid 29er singlespeed.

Sub 7 hours past 2 years

MM

mcboo
    Free Member

“Sub 7 hours past 2 years”

Does that include the hour you spent crying at the second feed station? Oh Philip.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I’m carbo loading with Leffe.

Wonder if I’ll be on the oldest bike. 1999 Marin…

ps44
    Free Member

Wonder if I’ll be on the newest bike? Trek 29er due to be collected tomorrow morning…to replace an old Marin that would also have been one of the oldest out there – but is now in two pieces (for the third and last time !)

ace_sparky
    Free Member

woohoo the good lady is out of hospital and safely back at home 😀 (she is much better now thanks to all those who asked).

Which means I’ll be down for the 132k, missed a few planned short, easy rides this week(expected) but I’ll be out later for a quick spin of the legs. If conditions and traffic aren’t too bad I’m hopeful for about 6hrs, a puncture and a foot,pedal interface problem(the sole came of one of my sidi’s just before the last feed station)which slowed me down last year(also happened this year at the Honc with the other shoe 😕 )

I was contemplating a 75mile local road sportive today which has a wicked finish up a steep cobbled climb but I thankfully managed to talk myself out of it, thought I might just be asking a bit too much out of my legs.

Finally managed to fit and bed in new brake pads last night in between rain showers so the bike is all good now, right now I’m off to wash the car and fit the roof carrier.

Kryton57

Nice one for Mrs ace-sparky.

6hrs? That’s a 15mph average – please tell me your on a Crosser?

hs125
    Free Member

I’ll be attempting the 100k. This will be the 4th time for me. I’m expecting the trails to be in pretty good condition. They were nice and dry a few weeks back, and the recent showers should have done nothing more than damped down some of the dust (I hope).

njee20
    Free Member

It’s less than 14mph actually.

Kryton57

Ha, you are right. Maybe my sub 8 hours aim is more achievable than I think.

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Avg 13.5 – 14mph will put you around 6 – 6.5hr mark.

No crosser for me,I’ll be on a pretty light 2008 Anthem.

soobalias
    Free Member

so its tomorrow..
    bit more wet stuff forecast today, but i would expect most trails to dry quickly
    the nettles are late this year

the long route usually covers some of my local stuff, so the guy on the black harddtail, riding the wrong way, saying hi…thats me.

have fun all

flap_jack
    Free Member

semi slicks off…2.35s on. gonna be a hard day.

gee
    Free Member

1st event ever I’ve thought ‘wow that’s amazing value’ £20=132km of top (dry!) riding, endless yummy cake, bananas, drink, pint glass and a free pint of Stowford Press to put in it. Brilliant day out with a good group of riders too. Thanks to WDMBC for organising it.

Some people taking it all a little too seriously; skidding into feed stations and not stopping for an ice cream 😉

adsh
    Free Member

Good event though I thought the course wasn’t quite as good as last year.

gee
    Free Member

Really? Never done it before so can’t compare. Were there any big changes?

adsh
    Free Member

Maybe I’m getting used to it! I just thought there was a bit more road than last time but it’s still got a great atmosphere.

Dickyboy

great conditions out in the chilterns this morning too 🙂 didn’t bother with sportive but only cause I forgot about it 😳

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Was a good ride. Was in a quick group who started being picked apart by punctures until only 3 of us left.

Scraped a 6.40 for the long route and just missed the rain!

gee
    Free Member

Tell me about it – we lost 2 of our group to punctures too.

I really enjoyed the event – just fantastic to nimble around and not worry about the lost second here and there.

GB

Kryton57

Enjoyed that, put in 7:26 with a target of 8hrs for the 132k so
    I’m chuffed.

Great riding. Sore now though, in sure this red wine will sort it….

ononeorange

Great ride. What a wonderful way to spend a day.

Apologies to the 2 lads I took 100 yards down the wrong way near the end.

hs125
    Free Member

“I just thought there was a bit more road than last time”

I think it just felt that way because the off road sections were so fast and dry, so you you got back to the road that much quicker. I did the 100km in just over 6 hours, my fastest ever.

mcboo
    Free Member

I’m one of the puncture victims, we were going great guns (42km in the first 2hrs) then I sliced open a tyre on one of those really steep little climbs…you know the ones I’m talking about.

Lesons learned

1. Dont bother trying a trailside repair of a tubeless tyre, just bang a tube in and get going.

2. Dont forget to check a tubeless tyre for thorns!

Tube went straight down, I couldnt find the hole so limped down to Amersham where I was glad to find a bike shop open who were good enough to charge me £8.50 for an inner tube. Yes I’m glad they were there and open, but seriously people wonder why we all buy stuff online.

Great day, thanks as ever to Chris Denman of WDMBC, that man really grafts away to put on terrific events for us. Next one I think is the Night of the Knobbly Tread and Duathlon at Black Park in October.

senorj

A really good event with some really beautiful bits of singletrack/countryside.
    One puncture here & got lost a couple of times near Princes Risborough
    & Great Missenden ( I think) and ended up taking an unplanned shortcut( wasn’t complaining at the time!).
    Big thanks to Kryton and his riding buddy (1×10 Br!) for dragging me back the last 15 miles.
    A bigger thanks to the event sponsors – Lindt!! 😀 😉

lump

Thought the signs were poor, but great place to ride. All in cracking day

gee
    Free Member

Signs were nearly all there – our group of 4-6 spotted them between us at nearly every turn.

4 of us had the route on a GPS and that was perfect.

GB

oldnpastit

Lovely day out, great route!

One particularly stunning downhill right at the farthest point – really fast, trees rushing past, seemed to just keep on going for ages. Got to the bottom, after a while I reached a road, and, no signs to be seen anywhere….

It was a long walk back!

gee
    Free Member

Without the GPS bonging “off course” we would have missed a few due to speed more than anything else. GPS are quite cheap these days…

mcboo
    Free Member

Yep…you need a GPS on this one

ononeorange

No GPS here (work of the devil) and not a missed turn.

(Ok apart from that bit near the end).

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Well I was lucky. Just checked over the bike and there is a one inch split in the front tyre with the tube bulging out 😮

God knows how that didn’t let go!

One dead knobby Nic

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Bucks Off Road Sportive roll call….’ is closed to new replies.